Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What's up with those magnesium wheels that chevorlet lists on the website as a factory option on the standard corvette? I can't recall ever seeing them on a vette in person? Are they real magnesium or is that just the name for the finish color?

Rich air and clear skies,
Austin

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes they are real magnesium.They were initially forexport cars only,something to do with a different offset.They are very expensive & they actually look real good, very similar to the anniversary wheels but & theres always a but, the wheel wieghts look like crap on them! :eek:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Austin, my favorite stock C5 wheel was the factory mag (RPO N73). Had them on my Navy Blue with Oak/Oak convertible in '99. They were supposedly made by Speedline, the same company that provides wheels for Ferrari.

They were expensive, maybe that is why they dropped them as a factory option.

Here's the breakdown:

1998: 1,425 cars had them at a cost of $3,000.
1999: 2.029 cars had them at a cost of $3,000.
2000: 2,652 cars with a price of $2,000.
2001: 1,022 cars, option cost $2,000.
2002: Only 114 cars had this $1,500 option! (the rarest option that year).
2003: Only 293 cars had the mag wheel option at a cost of $1,500.
2004: GM dropped the price to $995, but I don't have the final number of cars that had this option.

The mag wheel size was the same as stock wheel, depending on the different model years. For example, the '99 Vette came with 17x8.5" front & 18"x 9.5" rear wheels.

Hope this helps!

Zippy :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zippy. I'm thinking though that if the factory offered them as an option on the Z06 in Z06 wheel sizes or even a tad larger, quite a few people would consider buying them for several reasons...
1. they'd be very light
2. they'd be genuine corvette wheels
3. and even at those prices they'd still be cheaper than some of the after-market Fikses and HREs alot of people buy.

Any ideas of why they wouldn't do this?

Austin

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Cam, I think they get damaged easily and are prone to large deep scratches.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had them on my C-5, and picked up a second set to autocross on. they have a 1/2 offset to the inside, to give prober euro fender clearence. Some thing you don't realy notice. But I have thought that if you could cut the outer lip off and add a bolt on outer to get the 10.5 or 11" rim. (we did this with 911 wheels) you might have something.

Reactions: 6OZ5C

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark Olson said:
I had them on my C-5, and picked up a second set to autocross on. they have a 1/2 offset to the inside, to give prober euro fender clearence. Some thing you don't realy notice. But I have thought that if you could cut the outer lip off and add a bolt on outer to get the 10.5 or 11" rim. (we did this with 911 wheels) you might have something.
That definitely sounds cool at least - a five spoke magnesium center with an aluminum rim. Also sounds like quite a bit of work and money though.

Austin

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Z06wish said:
Cam, I think they get damaged easily and are prone to large deep scratches.
I read the same thing in one of my car magazines a while back about those wheels. You'll know them when you see them,
they had a gold tint to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anyone who knows whether or not the factory optioned magnesium wheels for the C5's are truly very much lighter than the "thin spoke" aluminum items that are so much more common than the "mags" are? How much do these bring on the used wheel market? Say e-bay or whatever. And, are they any stronger than the "thin spokes"? tomzpot mobdro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts