Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
9,755 Posts
GT2 is slower :D

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
So, what's the difference between GT1 and GT2? Anyone? Bueller?
Like the smartalec said, GT2 is slower:lol:

It's more of a production based class. Steel brakes, less downforce, closer to street car proportions(not just profile), more parts carryover from the production version.(GT2 C6.R uses production ZR1 frame from Bowling Green), etc.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Thanks guys. Thanks for the link Zippy. I couldn’t find much info on my own. There are some interesting figures on that page…

• This C6.R is based on the ZR1 instead of the Z06. Of course, you could probably say that the ZR1 is based on the Z06, so I don’t think it makes much of a difference.
  • The GT1 Corvette used a steel frame but in GT2 it has an aluminum one. I assumed it was aluminum all along. Interesting.
  • The 2009 C6.R’s “homologation model” is the ZR1, yet it uses the race version of the LS7. Also, the 2010 C6.R will be powered by a 5.5-liter V8, as opposed to the 2009 6.0-liter LS7.R. Considering that no Corvette currently uses a 5.5-liter engine, I’m wondering what’s the reasoning behind that change. GT2 rules? Is this an indication of a future production engine?
  • The GT1 Corvette has a power to weight ratio of 590:2580 (0.229 hp/lb) while the GT2 Corvette has a PTW of 535:2745 (0.195 hp/lb). Specifically, I’m not sure why the GT2 car weighs 165 lbs more than the GT1 car considering the aluminum frame.
  • As uberC5 mentioned, the C6.R now uses steel brake rotors. Considering the ZR1 uses carbon ceramics, why is this so? GT2 rules maybe?
  • The GT2 Corvette is 2.5-inches shorter than the GT1 car. This now makes it exactly the same length as the production ZR1.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
The 2009 C6R is using a 6 liter engine and will go to 5.5 liter for 2010. Just wanted to clarify not trying to be a smart ass.
Mah bad. I'm so used to the LS7 being 7.0-liters. If the new one is a 6.0-liter engine, why are they still calling it an LS7.R?

Edit: Probably the same block, just not bored out as much? And again, I'm assuming that's due to ALMS rules? I'd really like to read the restrictions for the various GT classes.

Edit x2: Found some stuff if anyone else was interested in the rules for race car specifications...

·
21,321 Posts
Too many rules. Let them run what you brung! :lol:

On second thought, what are those rules pertaining to? 1/24 models? :screwy:

(c) BODY INTERIOR - Interior must contain at least following 3-dimensional items :
(i) dashboard,
(ii) steering wheel,
(iii) gear change lever,
(iv) painted fire extinguisher,
(v) seat,
(vi) painted driver figure with legs,
(vii) painted head/helmet combination in a hard plastic material.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Too many rules. Let them run what you brung! :lol:

On second thought, what are those rules pertaining to? 1/24 models? :screwy:
Ha! I have no idea. I think that's for model racing. Jeezus it's hard to find info on ALMS. Nascar on the other hand, they probably have 10 blogs on what Jeff Gordon had for breakfast.

·
21,321 Posts
Ha! I have no idea. I think that's for model racing. Jeezus it's hard to find info on ALMS. Nascar on the other hand, they probably have 10 blogs on what Jeff Gordon had for breakfast.
I hear ya. I tried looking up info this morning on the differences between GT1 and 2 and except for Zippy's link, all I could find were vague references. Even Wikipedia didn't spell it out.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That's very cool. I think they'll be able to dominate this class as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If they can't do it at road america, they can't do it..

If they do, they will get wt added, as Porsche already has, so that the Ferrari and BMW can stay on the same lap ; )

Either way, Zeta08 will be there! Turn 3 baby.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can find differences in GT1 vs GT2 on the lemans website....www.lemans.org. Those are usually the regulations ALMS follows.

From what I remember reading, the GT1's are allowed to make more power with bigger intake restrictors, use fabricated suspension pieces (still in stock mounting locations), allow for wider wheels/tires (consequently more flared body work), and more front splitter and rear wing.

It's gonna be interesting. Corvette's really the only team with factory support. Most of the other teams in GT2 are privately funded....well funded though :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the new 6L version actually uses the LS7 block with a shortened stroke, rather than the LS2 6L block.

I was watching the race on my DVR last night and was curious to look online to see what is different between the GT1 and GT2 cars.

My first impression is that it is better since it is closer to the street cars. We may see more goodies trasnfer from the track to the street.

Since GM had previiouly suggested that the C7 might be smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, but retain the performance profile (I assume power to weight) of the current cars, this could be a good thing. If so, I like less weight and mo power.:yeadog:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Way to go Jan and Johnny! First GT2 win at Mosport. What an awesome race! Compare that race to the NASCAR bumper cars I saw "highlights" of on sportcenter...It turns out, you can turn these things left and right and make them go where you want...

(NASCAR on a road course looks like south Western ave. in Chicago Sunday at 2am - cars strewn about like a tornado hit...)

I digress - Way to go team CORVETTE!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts