Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a BMW M Roadster and have been considering upgrading it for more power, etc. In the process, it just seems like I'd be better off getting a Corvette which already has more power, brakes, traction control, suspension... I would be looking at a used car from few years ago not a new one.

Some of what I'm asking are going to be very elemental. If there is a good FAQ or where my answers can be found, please send me there!

Here goes:

1. What are the differences between a regular C5 and a Z06? Also, I gather there is a larger 427 engine available -- is that an option on the Z06? What years was that available?

1b. Is there a timeline of the changes each year for the C5 and Z06?

2. It seems like the Z06 is only available in Coupe not Convertible, is that right?

3. Driving experience. I like that my BMW is a relatively small car and it seems like the Corvette is much larger. Curious to hear any comments on people who have made a similar move. Also if anyone is in Los Angeles and wants to give me a ride (you drive, don't worry!) I'd be appreciative.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Markd89 said:
Hi,

I have a BMW M Roadster and have been considering upgrading it for more power, etc. In the process, it just seems like I'd be better off getting a Corvette which already has more power, brakes, traction control, suspension... I would be looking at a used car from few years ago not a new one.

Some of what I'm asking are going to be very elemental. If there is a good FAQ or where my answers can be found, please send me there!

Here goes:

1. What are the differences between a regular C5 and a Z06? Also, I gather there is a larger 427 engine available -- is that an option on the Z06? What years was that available?

2. It seems like the Z06 is only available in Coupe not Convertible, is that right?

3. Driving experience. I like that my BMW is a relatively small car and it seems like the Corvette is much larger. Curious to hear any comments on people who have made a similar move. Also if anyone is in Los Angeles and wants to give me a ride (you drive, don't worry!) I'd be appreciative.

Thanks much!
1. The z06 comes standard with the 427. As for the differences, there are many....im sure people will chime in.

2. Z06 is only a coupe since its a race car basically.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Let me take a shot at answering your questions;

Since you mention getting a used car, I assume you mean a C5 Z06, not a C6 Z06.

C5 Z06 only came with the 346ci motor. 2001 was 385hp and the 2002-2004 are 405hp.

2001 was the first model year of the C5 Z06 and came with 385hp.

2002-2004 were basically the same vehicle with subtle changes, all with 405hp.

Correct, fixed roof hardtop only.

3. Driving experience. I like that my BMW is a relatively small car and it seems like the Corvette is much larger.
Think you will find that although they appear to be a much larger vehicle, in fact the weights are very comparable, and handling will probably favor the Z.

That's my take on the comparison anyway!

Steve

·
Registered
292 Posts
As a past (1983 320is) and current BMW owner, comparing the Z06 and the BMW:

1) While the BMW's have great handling, the Z06 can and will scare the sh#@ out of you. It's a loud, torque monster that will easiliy kick out the rear end if you're not careful.

2) My 530 handles as well or better than the Z06. The M roadster probably handles just as well. The electronic stabilization/traction control/active handling is seamless in operation.

3) The c5 Z06 is a much wider/longer and lower car. To get out of the car, the doors have to go pretty much to full open because you sit so low and have to swing your legs out to exit.

4) The Z06 rides roughly and at 65mph you feel like you're going 100mph. Until you feel the low-end torque and blast from 10mph to 75mph in a few seconds, you really haven't lived.

4) There's no comparison between the two in driving experience. The Z06 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. When I first started driving it, I would end my drive with sweaty palms and clothes. Rumbling down the street, I usually leave the radio off just to enjoy the experience.

The BMW is a nice, quiet cruiser with lots of luxory options and great handling. Driving at 100mph in the BMW is a cruisers dream: quiet, stable, confident and the stereo(w/surround sound) playing your favorites tunes w/o disturbance. Even my 320is handled well at higher speeds.

5) Everyone wants to take on a Corvette. You get a bunch of unwanted attention from all kinds of cars (Toyota,Honda, ....you get my drift). Just let them go...they're all ridiculous!

6) The Z06 is easier to work on and will cost you less in the long run. Numerous upgrades are available for the Z06.

7) Gas mileage will be less around town. If you do highway traveling and keep your foot out of it, above 30mpg is possible.

8) My Z06 isn't my daily driver so maybe some can comment on that.

9) When you get your 'vette, you can join a great group of people in forums such as these and get/share all kinds of info.

10) I would suggest taking some test drives as soon as you can. Maybe a C6 for starters or a used C5 from a dealer's lot just to get the feel of it. See if you like it. Shop around, there's some good deals out there.

11) I know that using my 5 series for comparison isn't exact but combined with my 320is and my experience driving other BMW's, I think I've covered what you should expect.

Good luck!

Just my .02 1/2.

Stumbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great info!

I'll be looking around in the next couple of weeks. If I end up getting addicted, you'll see more of me around!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
bobgodd said:
i dont think theres any way you can drive one without wanting it instantly

My feelings exactly. I had a beautiful '01 Mustang Cobra, and was ready to upgrade to the '03 supercharged Cobra. I drove a friend's new coupe, he'd bought that day @ 0% interest, and immediately knew the Mustang would no longer do. And that was an A4 coupe, not a Z.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I am little confused by the misleading "BMW 530 handles as well or better than the Z06" comment.

This is simply not true. Unless the 530 in question is set up for saloon car racing.

Markd89 said:
Hi,

Here goes:

The C5 Z06 is the M equivalent of the Corvette - purpose built engine, tuned suspension, lighter weight and model specific options and deletes.

2006 C6 Z)6 is a 427ci engine, C5 cars as mentioned are 5.7l - 346ci. (all Chevy small block aftermarket mods are applicable to the 346ci engine - in other words the sky and your budget are the only limits)

The Z06 gets a lower ratio 6 speed transmission, lighter windshield, 385hp (405hp) LS6 vs 350hp LS1 engine, wider lighter wheels, non-runflat stickier tyres - tuned, stiffer model specific suspension- and titanium cat-back exhaust system (from the rear axle back and mufflers).

Non-power passenger seat, non-power antenna.

Markd89 said:
Abreviated history:
Car launched as 2001 model in July 2000.

2002 and on saw subtle shock revalving, sway bar end-link changes, leaf spring rate changes and inclusion of the HUD as standard.

Engine internals slightly changed (and exhaust) to yield 405hp instead of 385hp. Different cam grind, cat setup and sodium filled exhaust valves.

Markd89 said:
Model specific body style - Fixed Roof Coupe - looks like a convertible with a hardtop - but the roof cannot come off. The car has a proper trunk not a rear hatch.

Markd89 said:

Thanks much!
The Z06 looks bigger - and compared to say a Nissan 350Z or a Z3 roadster at low speeds may seem slower steering - but will quickly come alive as the speed sensitive steering takes over.

The car is not as directly connect to the road as certain Italian cars - but I can't say I noticed that much difference between my car and a co-workers Porker 911 I drove.

The Z06 is far smoother driving than a 350Z, and I even noticed a harder chop over surface streets in a Porker and M3 than the Z06.

For this reason I really don't consider the Z06 a "rough" car.

It is not a 4 door luxo sedan, but feels on a par with the CTS-V, M5, M3 etc as far as roughness from the sport suspensions - but it is NOT the bone jarring ride people make it out to be.

I am but an amateur Z06 historian, so some others can pipe in with details I may have missed out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The answers to your Z06 model questions are answered above.

For comparison, I had a 2000 M Coupe prior to buying my Z in 2003. The power is like night and day. You think your BMW has a nice kick? It's nothing compared to the 405hp of a Z. After I test drove a Z, my 240hp BMW didn't feel like anything at all! And the sound, my oh my the sound of the Z's V-8 is so much sweeter than the sound of a BMW six!

As for handling, in my opinion the BMW felt quicker on its feet, like it was more willing to change directions. But overall grip favors the Z by a lot. The brakes feel similar, but according to the magazines the Z stops shorter. Ride is pretty similar for both, stiff but not too stiff for daily driving. Speaking of daily driving, the Z's trunk is much bigger and more practical, and this is in comparison to the hatchback M Coupe!

The shifter and seats are the things I miss about my M Coupe the most. Although I wished the BMW seats could recline a little more, they were extremely supportive and comfortable. The stock Z seats lack side bolstering, which is why I got rid of them. The shifter on the BMW was the best of any car I've driven. Short throws and very smooth, with just a hint of notchiness. I put a Hurst short shifter in my Z but it's not nearly as nice.

Hope that gives you an idea of what to expect. I live in the Pasadena area, so if you're not too far away I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and take you for a spin!

·
Registered
292 Posts
RC45 said:
I am little confused by the misleading "BMW 530 handles as well or better than the Z06" comment.

This is simply not true. Unless the 530 in question is set up for saloon car racing.
Dunno? Maybe it's just me? Since I can drive either any time I want through the same twisties, I guess I must be dreamin'?
Maybe "simply" should be defined.

My 530 is a sport model that comes with upgraded tires and a lowered/tighter suspension. Maybe that's the difference. It handles just as well at 25 as it does at 125(top speed is limited to 155mph).

Obviously not the same torque as a 'vette for acceleration but turning right (literally-at a regular street corner w/o going into the second lane) at 45mph is no problem. In addition, I've seen post by several 5 series owners who picked up their's in Germany and drove the autoban near or at top speed and reported excellent response in handling.

Anyway....,

I hope the newbee gets a chance to drive a Z06 "real soon now"!

Good luck.
Stumbo

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome I see your from L.A. like in Lower Alabama. Just kidding :rofl:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get the Z, you won't regret it. I love my Z and can't see living life without it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts