Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys, this is driving me nuts! We all know that corvette paint is soft and thin, but this is rediculous :mah: . I live in NJ and tend to drive the highway alot (RT 295) due to the location of my job and friends/family, etc. I've only had my Z since June last yr (5000 miles), and the paint dings from road debris are all over the thing....the hood, the doors, mirrors and especially the rear quarters. It seems like every time I give it a look-over I find a new one. I'm seriously thinking about the 3M clear protectant product, but does anyone have a good method for fixing the existing marks and/or future ones? (most of them seem to be just dings in the clear coat)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sounds to me like your a little to late for 3M clear protectant. Maybe a upscale paint shop can help with some touch up or repaint. :cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey IT L GO, all of the dings are small, and really can only be seen when you get close....but I'm way too anal. I'm sure most of them could be rubbed out. But I really want to find a way to prevent this - 20 coats of Zaino??? I see that yours is MY too, how do you keep it ding free? Maybe GM forgot the clear coat on mine :-?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
fresh_Z06 said:
Hey IT L GO, all of the dings are small, and really can only be seen when you get close....but I'm way too anal. I'm sure most of them could be rubbed out. But I really want to find a way to prevent this - 20 coats of Zaino??? I see that yours is MY too, how do you keep it ding free? Maybe GM forgot the clear coat on mine :-?
I'm a Zaino fan, I don't think Zaino will help. Maybe a detail shop could buff some of them out.

:z:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I know what you mean. My rockers are taking most of the chips, even with all the Zaino. It has taught me just to enjoy my car and quit being so anal. I keep it as clean and scratch free as I can manage, but I don't have to eat a pkg. of Rolaids every time I drive anymore. One of these days I'll get a high dollar paint job and put on some brand of clear protection. :thumb:

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's just gonna happen fellas. The Z comes with a poor paint job in the first place. "Dings" where the paint has flaked off are not reversible and unfortunately have to be touched up or repainted.

As far as avoiding dings...one of my paint suppliers introduced a new product to me. It's a clear coat type protectant that gets sprayed on via HVLP spray equipment and supposedly is about 7-10 times the thickness of regular clear coat. I'm thinking about ordering some and spraying my ft. cover, mirrors and fender lips. Darn it..i cant find the informational flier!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Maybe we could just put Line-X on our rocker panels. :p

·
Registered
636 Posts
The big difference between the weather / road conditions in NJ and Florida is the major determination in paint damage. When you have bad weather and the roads break up + salt / sanding / cinders for that stuff called "snow"...it's a bad scene for any car paint.

Here in N. CA and especially S. CA the roads are clear of all that junk (other than the roads just falling apart - which they do, thank you CA. govt. :mad: ).

I took my Z to Colorado for the summer, last year, and in 3 months I got more dings than in the previous 3 years in CA! Cinders, broken up roads....are hard on cars.

If you can afford to drive another car in bad weather...do that instead.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Sorry Fresh but I am the engineer on the anal express. (wow that sounds bad) You know what I mean.

As you can see in this picture I have the bra :zboobie: by Speed Lingerie including the hood piece. I know there are some supporting vendors that sell them. It fits great. Easy on and off and no drilling needed. http://www.speedlingerie.com

I also used Stongard on the Rockers,behind all four wheels, mirrors and door cups. I know PFYC (one of our supporting vendors) worked with Stongard to develop the kit for the C5Z. That is what I purchased and had installed locally.
http://www.pfyc.com

At this point I feel I have done the best I can to prevent dings and I can enjoy just driving the car.

Good Luck
Greg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cave Man said:
I know what you mean. My rockers are taking most of the chips, even with all the Zaino. It has taught me just to enjoy my car and quit being so anal. I keep it as clean and scratch free as I can manage, but I don't have to eat a pkg. of Rolaids every time I drive anymore. One of these days I'll get a high dollar paint job and put on some brand of clear protection. :thumb:
my thoughts exactly. after the first weekend i owned the z and seeing the damage the roads did i stopped caring as it's completely unavoidable. from 20ft away the car still looks good though:)

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
dryforkz06 said:
Sorry but I am the engineer on the anal express. (wow that sounds bad) You know what I mean.
Engineer on the anal express should be your new title. :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing is for sure, NJ roads CAN be hazardous! I try to bring the Z out only on nice clear days (I have a Jeep Cherokee as my daily driver). But when I see the sun, it's so hard to not bring her out. Anyway, some of the nicks in the paint came over the summer...so I can't blame winter beaten roads for all of it. Cave Man, I'm still eating the rolaids - every time the tires spin I'm thinking...what did that just do to the paint??? It's a sickness I guess.......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So at the advice of dryforkz06, I looked for the stongard vette kit at http://www.pfyc.com. I didn't find that, but did find a product called cleartastic. Could be a viable solution to this. Is this what you used dryforkz06? If not, does anyone have experience with it??

·
Registered
622 Posts
fresh_Z06 said:
So at the advice of dryforkz06, I looked for the stongard vette kit at http://www.pfyc.com. I didn't find that, but did find a product called cleartastic. Could be a viable solution to this. Is this what you used dryforkz06? If not, does anyone have experience with it??
Fresh

I just talked to Jennifer @ Stongard and she confirmed that PFYC is a dealer. I know I could not find it on their site either. Email PFYC. If you go to http://www.stongard.com you can view the pieces available for the C5Z

Greg

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Fresh, I wouldn't recommend the Cleartastic product. I talked to a few guys at the track who have used it and they were very disappointed. Just a few negative opinions here. :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greg,

Thanks, found it. How long have you had it on yours - any signs of peeling/discoloration??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rpallas said:
Fresh, I wouldn't recommend the Cleartastic product. I talked to a few guys at the track who have used it and they were very disappointed. Just a few negative opinions here. :thumb:

Thanks - just a few neg opinions is all I need to stay away from it! :NoNo:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Every time I see my vette I get upset about the paint.

I was SO careful the first yr I had it, and it STILL got chips, I finally gave up! :rofl:

funny it still get chips, I just don't get too upset anymore because I know it's the POOR QUALITY paint job

Someday I want to get a custom paint job:thumb:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I know what you mean. I have been trying to figure out what kind of protection I am going to get for my 04. Where I live you cant have a nice car. Too many big trucks and the roads suck. Speaking of sucking....the paint on the Z does just that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So far no problem. I am very happy with it.

The trick is to have a good installation. PFYC or Stongard can help with that. I had a window tinting co. do it. They were recommended by Stongard and they spent some time on the phone with them helping with any questions.

Greg

fresh_Z06 said:
Greg,

Thanks, found it. How long have you had it on yours - any signs of peeling/discoloration??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts