Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but I have been following you all for some time. I would like to comment on the much-debated issue surrounding the pricing of the Z06:

First, I think GM's plans are being executed exquisitely. Whether you are for or against the runors of a 70+ price tag for the C6 Z06, this new car has us all talking. Everyone wants to know what the price of this car is going to be whether you will actually buy one or not. But I think most of us wants one!

Second, you must remember that GM needs to keep production costs low. The 2006 Z06 will most likely be the test pilot for the venture GM has entered into with Dana Corporation to build the Corvette chassis. Consequently, it is likely that the price in the first year of the C6 Z06 will be in the high 60 to low 70's range before dealer markup. After the first year or two however, I think we can expect all Corvettes to be built with the same chassis and underpinnings as the Z06 and we will see the more "typical" Corvette pricing across the entire line.

Recall your Corvette history: When the ZR1 debuted in 1989 (officially in 1990) it was stunning because it had the rounded rear fascia and squared taillights. In 1992, with the introduction of the LT1, all Corvettes received the rounded rear fascia and squared taillights. What distinguished the ZR1 from the base Vettes was its badges and the wider rear fenders and tires. On the whole, it costs GM less money to have all the Corvettes look basically the same.

I think we will see the same sort of thing happen with the Z06. In fact, its already happened... Wasnt the last Z06 a hardtop?:idea: Now its a coupe! After the first year, there will be fewer differences between the base Vette and the Z06, and the prices will be more uniform. The bottom line is that it costs GM more money to make two Corvettes that require parts unique to each vehicle. History repeats itself. There is no difference here. I dont think they will let us down. We'll get the Z at a price that will sell the most Z's and at a price that will sell the most base Vettes :jammin:

Regards

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:


A small correction
1991 all Vettes got the square taillights :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
:ity: Makes sense. I hope your right. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Yes but its not the rear fascia or the taillights that will jump up the cost.
Do you think that Chevy will incorporate the LS7 or the brakes or the exhaust cutouts into the coupe how about the aluminum frame.
When GM announcers the price we will all know, prior to that its all BS.
Life goes on regardless.
Sabot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Thanks for the post, Jim, and for being another level headed, realistic Corvette enthusiast. I agree the GM will make the best decision; after all, it's their future at stake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sabot said:
Yes but its not the rear fascia or the taillights that will jump up the cost.
Do you think that Chevy will incorporate the LS7 or the brakes or the exhaust cutouts into the coupe how about the aluminum frame.
When GM announcers the price we will all know, prior to that its all BS.
Life goes on regardless.
Sabot

Look at it this way... other than the chassis all the parts you just mentioned are not being outsourced to another company. GM is building the engines and installing the brakes and the brake vents. This project with Dana Corp is going to cost them more to produce on a limited production vehicle such as a 70K+ Z06. The only way to keep costs down is to either have Dana make all of the Corvette Chassis, or GM make all of the Chassis out of Steel... as is on the base Vette.

You would think that the engine is the premium component of the Z06's price tag... but it really isn’t. GM has control over that because they're producing the engine... and its just a glorified LS1 not a quad cammed demon like the LT5. Unlike the LT5 (ZR1), which was made by Mercury Marine, the LS7 is built totally in house.. ie, it costs less to produce.

So that goes back to keeping production costs down. They will try and keep the cars as similar as possible while preserving the performance advantage of the Z06 over the base Vette.

Think about this, If GM didn’t even keep the Z's hardtop design which was a key distinguishing feature of the Z06, why would they use a chassis made by another company which is the exact same chassis GM is currently building themselves for the base Vette? The Z06 chassis is made of aluminum true... but is this something that really needs to be different on the two cars? :screwy: You cant even see the chassis...

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
06_C6_Z06 said:
Thanks for the post, Jim, and for being another level headed, realistic Corvette enthusiast. I agree the GM will make the best decision; after all, it's their future at stake.
Thanks "06"... You know, this Corvette thing is really about history. They did some great things back in the day. They need to start doing it again..and with all the GM cars. Corvette wont be great for long without the rest of the fleet.

If GM's production/marketing managers are really looking at our online clubs, the one thing I'd like to tell them is that they should not forget where the Corvette came from; or the people who helped to get it where it is today. The Corvette history is so important, and the PEOPLE who bought Corvettes are even more important. Dont forget YOUR customers. :eek::

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Much 2 Fast said:
Recall your Corvette history: When the ZR1 debuted in 1989 (officially in 1990) it was stunning because it had the rounded rear fascia and squared taillights. In 1992, with the introduction of the LT1, all Corvettes received the rounded rear fascia and squared taillights. What distinguished the ZR1 from the base Vettes was its badges and the wider rear fenders and tires.
Just to clarify, although it's probably nit-picking. :)

The rounded rear fascia first appeared on the 1990 ZR1, but the next year (1991) was the first year the regular Corvette received it, and it also was the last year for the TPI engine. The LT-1 did debut in 1992, but the 1991 Corvettes still had the TPI.

As far as distinguishing, let's not forget the LT-5 engine and the J55 heavy duty brake package, which became standard on the regular C4 in 1995. :)

As far as the Z06, who know what's going to happen? The C6Z51 is an outstanding performer, so maybe the Z06 will be a higher teir vehicle designed to compete with Viper on it's price level. The XLR Cadillac is $77K base price, so why not a Corvette that out performs it?

-Dave C. '04 Z06
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Dave C. '04 Z06 said:
Just to clarify, although it's probably nit-picking. :)

The XLR Cadillac is $77K base price, so why not a Corvette that out performs it?

-Dave C. '04 Z06
well, it will outperform ferrari too, but that doesnt mean that price should be 200k... :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,190 Posts
Much 2 Fast,

I think your assessment is dead on. It only makes sense. Welcome to the forum! :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Please stop worrying about GM. Next thing you know you'll be asking Jane Fonda and Bono to start a fund raiser for them since all us capitalist pigs don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the car.

Also stop with the assanine attempts to justify/explain pricing -- this has approached me trying to explain quantum physics or open heart surgery. Who knows what will happen.

-N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just nit-picking but, the ZR-1 debuted in 1989 with a few lucky individuals driving them off the show room floor. The 89's were the only Corvette ZR-1's to have LT-5 badges on the rear fascia... The 1990 ZR1 had ZR1 badges on the rear. The 1989 ZR1 is very rare and very valuable. It also had the flat "hubcap" looking wheels that the 1988-89 Vettes had for one year.

As far as the 1991 redesign of the base models, that just goes to show you that GM couldnt even wait 2 years to make all the Vettes look the same. I thought it happened in 1992, but since it happened in 91 that just further drives the point home... GM will make every effort to keep costs low... all the Corvettes will have the same chassis and underpinings... probably a few other items as well. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Much 2 Fast said:
Look at it this way... other than the chassis all the parts you just mentioned are not being outsourced to another company. GM is building the engines and installing the brakes and the brake vents. This project with Dana Corp is going to cost them more to produce on a limited production vehicle such as a 70K+ Z06. The only way to keep costs down is to either have Dana make all of the Corvette Chassis, or GM make all of the Chassis out of Steel... as is on the base Vette.

You would think that the engine is the premium component of the Z06's price tag... but it really isn’t. GM has control over that because they're producing the engine... and its just a glorified LS1 not a quad cammed demon like the LT5. Unlike the LT5 (ZR1), which was made by Mercury Marine, the LS7 is built totally in house.. ie, it costs less to produce.

So that goes back to keeping production costs down. They will try and keep the cars as similar as possible while preserving the performance advantage of the Z06 over the base Vette.

Think about this, If GM didn’t even keep the Z's hardtop design which was a key distinguishing feature of the Z06, why would they use a chassis made by another company which is the exact same chassis GM is currently building themselves for the base Vette? The Z06 chassis is made of aluminum true... but is this something that really needs to be different on the two cars? :screwy: You cant even see the chassis...

Jim
Making the chassis out of aluminum was done because it was the quickest and cheapest way to doff some avoirdupois! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
defender said:
Making the chassis out of aluminum was done because it was the quickest and cheapest way to doff some avoirdupois! :thumb:

I agree 100%. Using the heavier coupe body (over the FRC), dry sump, bigger brakes, wheels, tires, additional coolers were definitely porking the car out. The aluminum chassis and extra carbon fiber bits were literally the most cost effective necessities to get the weight down to at least close to that of a C5Z. Weight reduction is critical to performance.

I am doing some tricks to get my car down well below 3100 lbs - unsprung weight reductions are especially noticeable.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top