Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette ZR1 Sets New 7:19.63 Nurburgring Lap Time, Just Off Porsche GT2 RS Record [Video]

To showcase just how much a few small changes can mean, Chevrolet took the updated 2012 Corvette ZR1 to the Nurburgring, knocking 6 seconds off the car's previous best time set back in 2008. The new 7:19.63 lap time was set by Corvette engineer Jim Mero and is a solid three seconds off the Viper ACR's best, but its just shy of the production car record set by the Porsche GT2 RS at 7:18. (Faster lap times do exist by a Radical and the Gumpert Apollo, but it's not hard to argue that those cars aren't true production models).

Corvette credits much of the car's added performance to its new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which provided an 8 percent gain in lateral acceleration, as well as improved braking. The new tires are available on the flagship 638-hp ZR1 as well as on the 505-hp Z06.

Watch the video after the jump:

More: Corvette ZR1 Sets New 7:19.63 Nurburgring Lap Time, Just Off Porsche GT2 RS Record [Video] on AutoGuide.com

·
9,755 Posts
I would still love to see them run the Z06 with cup tires. :thumb:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would still love to see them run the Z06 with cup tires. :thumb:
Me too with 172 corners and 200+ lbs less weight, the Z06 might actually match or exceed the ZR1. The only real point where the ZR1 can really use all of its power is on the last long straight towards the end. Based on my experience the Mich PS2 standard tires gave the ZR1 a tremendous advantage over the Z06 on the Goodyear F1 runcraps, now that I have driven on both sets of tires. Running both on PSC tires would be a good equalizer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
An impressive piece of driving. They could sell rides in the passenger seat for a decent amount of money! I'd sure hop in for a lap or two. :yeadog:

Kevin

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Me too with 172 corners and 200+ lbs less weight, the Z06 might actually match or exceed the ZR1. The only real point where the ZR1 can really use all of its power is on the last long straight towards the end. Based on my experience the Mich PS2 standard tires gave the ZR1 a tremendous advantage over the Z06 on the Goodyear F1 runcraps, now that I have driven on both sets of tires. Running both on PSC tires would be a good equalizer.
Oh, c'mon now. :lol:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Very good driving.

I think the Nissan GTR did it in 7:24.

They are closer than you think and the GTR weighs 3800 lbs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very good driving.

I think the Nissan GTR did it in 7:24.

They are closer than you think and the GTR weighs 3800 lbs.
True, but the GTR already had R-compound tires (which tend to blow after any longer hard runs on this heavy car), was driven by a pro-driver and I can reasonably assume might just be using a non-stock computer tune for overboost w/high octane fuel (common ringer trick with turbo cars, as all it takes is an externally invisible computer tune change). Also doesn't the GTR weigh more than 3800lbs (closer to 3900 lbs even with the new 530hp version)?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh, c'mon now. :lol:
Possibly a little stretch, but consider this. One of my Road & Track summary comparisons states that in Feb 2009 they tested a 2009 3325 lb ZR1 to run 0 - 60 in 3.3 sec, the quarter mile in 11.4 sec @125.5 mph, and 1.10 skidpad G's on Mich PS2 tires. On May 2008 (warmer temps = lower power), they tested a 2008 3190 lb Z06 to run 0 -60 in 3.4 seconds, the quarter mile at 11.7 sec @123.7 mph, and 0.99 G's on Goodyear F1 tires. Not a big difference (0.1 sec 0-60, 0.3 second quarter mile, 1.8 mph quarter-mile trap speed), except for cornering on different tires (0.11G difference!). Note that prior press testing (Motor Trend) of the Z06 yielded a best quarter mile of 11.5 seconds @ 127.1 mph, and I think the best stock ZR1 quarter mile trap speeds are between 130 and 131 mph. Not a huge difference. With equal Mich Pilot Sport Cup tires, the Z06 should corner equally or better than the heavier ZR1. With 172 corners, this may all add up. With the last straightaway, clearly ZR1 would have the top end advantage. The last NBR time (7:42:99) on a Z06 was done by Jan Magnussen (Year 2005 confirmed by Motor Trend) on Goodyear F1 tires and the more skiddish suspension. Jan may not have had as much practice on the unique NBR and did not want to stuff the car. It looks like Jim Mero has had lots of practice on the NBR and should drive the Z06, as well as the ZR1. It would very interesting to see how they compare with the same driver on the same tires, assuming that corporate did not tell him to tone it down, so as not to make the Z06 look too close and drop ZR1 sales.

Nürburgring lap times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also recall when Jan did it in the Z06 he had a passenger. In my experience that makes a huge difference in the handling. Whenver I have a passenger (particularly anyone weighing 160 plus) the car pushes in the corners. I can't drive it nearly as hard as when alone.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also recall when Jan did it in the Z06 he had a passenger. In my experience that makes a huge difference in the handling. Whenver I have a passenger (particularly anyone weighing 160 plus) the car pushes in the corners. I can't drive it nearly as hard as when alone.
Yes, the lighter the car, the more the weight of a passenger affects it. My friend took me for a ride in his Factory-5 AC Cobra kit car 3 years ago, which weighed-in at 2050 lbs. The car was so bare bones that there were no interior door panels and the door locked simply by a sliding stainless steel bolt latch like one would use on a shed. He is a track racing instructor, but he kept apologizing that the car felt much slower, as I weighed 10% of the cars total weight (210 lbs).

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I would love to see the new Zo7 package at the ring. With the suspension and brakes I think it would be VERY close. That is why I don't think GM will want that publicized. That's is over a 30,000 dollar difference in price ZR1 to Zo7.

·
Registered
213 Posts
2012 Z06 Nurburgring Lap Time 7:22

I can't seem to start a new thread under the Z06Vette News, so I will add this here. The 2012 Z06 lap time of 7:22!

Notice the diffference in 4-5th gear ratios versus the ZR1. The Z06 just can't quite get the speed of the ZR1 at the end of the long straight. The ZR1 was doing 180 there but the Z06 does 170. Still incredible, the Z06 beats the ACR and the GTR. I love this car!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Z06 posts 7:22 at Nurburgring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent find my man!!

I just compared the 2 Chevrolet videos between the ZR1 and Z06 on PSC tires. At the end of the last banked turn (like the longer carosel banks earlier) before the long straightaway just at the white sign, I measure the ZR1 at 6:20.31 and the Z06 at 6:20.58. I think I am close, but it was tough to stop the frame right at the white sign. So at this point just before the long straightaway after 6 minutes of hard driving, the ZR1 is less than 1/2 second ahead of the Z06. Simply incredible considering the ZR1 has extra 133 HP and even more extra torque! The ZR1 made up its 2.95 second difference in the long straightaway! Considering the 2.95 second difference over the entire 7:19.63 to 7:22.58 run, if you factor in all of the handling variables (tire pressures, track temperatures, sun on track, etc), it really is too close to tell. It is definitely within the margin of error.

Comparison to Viper ACR is definitely incredible, as the ACR has very similar tires, a much larger wing and spoiler for downforce and has 95 extra horsepower and monster torque. As far as the GTR, I am convinced they "cheated" with a computer tune for overboost with a little extra octane boost to support it; and the GTR already has about the softest tire one can get without going to full slicks. I felt the tires on a GTR in the Nissan showroom last year (when waiting to pick up our workhorse Nissan Maxima) and it definitely felt stickier than the Mich Pilot PS2 tires.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
All three are great cars (ZR1, Z06, GTR). I think its amazing that we can sit here and compare the times between these cars.

I corner, have you ever been in a GTR? My buddy has one so I can confirm how much fun they are.

Besides speculation that this car was a ringer around the 'Ring, are you familiar with the car's ATTESA system? This car has more electronic nannies than most think.

·
Registered
360 Posts
All three are great cars (ZR1, Z06, GTR). I think its amazing that we can sit here and compare the times between these cars.

I corner, have you ever been in a GTR? My buddy has one so I can confirm how much fun they are.

Besides speculation that this car was a ringer around the 'Ring, are you familiar with the car's ATTESA system? This car has more electronic nannies than most think.
No I have not been in a GTR or come across any while in my C6Z. The quarter mile performance range was alarmingly wide between the magazines from 116mph to 121mph trap speeds. However, with all wheel drive and soft tires, 0 - 60 is no contest compared to a C6Z. The owner of a high end stereo shop in West Palm Beach has a white one that is NOT close to stock at all and supposedly runs the quarter in the mid 9's with extreme overboost and drag tires. He broke the car's transmission with a relatively mild tune on the stock engine in 2010 and Nissan would not warranty it. So he sent it up North somewhere to totally upgrade the car for over $80,000. I admit that my opinion on its NBR performance is based the apparrent physics conflict that a 480hp car that weighs 3900lbs could run that fast. It just does not add up. Even a Porsche 911 Turbo with AWD, less weight and Mich Pilot SC tires has not run that hard, and Porsche has been at this for decades. I have noted that the GTR tires feel VERY soft. Maybe you can get away with soft autocross compound tires for up to one lap at NBR to get a good run, but they will go away very quickly, especially with such a heavy car.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
No I have not been in a GTR or come across any while in my C6Z. The quarter mile performance range was alarmingly wide between the magazines from 116mph to 121mph trap speeds. However, with all wheel drive and soft tires, 0 - 60 is no contest compared to a C6Z. The owner of a high end stereo shop in West Palm Beach has a white one that is NOT close to stock at all and supposedly runs the quarter in the mid 9's with extreme overboost and drag tires. He broke the car's transmission with a relatively mild tune on the stock engine in 2010 and Nissan would not warranty it. So he sent it up North somewhere to totally upgrade the car for over $80,000. I admit that my opinion on its NBR performance is based the apparrent physics conflict that a 480hp car that weighs 3900lbs could run that fast. It just does not add up. Even a Porsche 911 Turbo with AWD, less weight and Mich Pilot SC tires has not run that hard, and Porsche has been at this for decades. I have noted that the GTR tires feel VERY soft. Maybe you can get away with soft autocross compound tires for up to one lap at NBR to get a good run, but they will go away very quickly, especially with such a heavy car.
In a nutshell, the ATTESA awd system "assists" the driver, so this kind of makes up for the significant weight of the GTR. I'll have to look up a good link to share.

These cars do run in the 9's. The fastest one that was out (this was late last year) ran the 1/4 in 9.01 @ 160+ mph.

This car was at stock cubes, built block, upgraded tranny and bigger turbos. Dyno was about 900+hp/ 900+ tq.

Last I heard, they were going to use a stroker motor and were optimistic they could see 1100+ hp at the wheels.

Yes, they are expensive to work on! :drunken:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts