Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The C6R (#64) finished 1st in class at 24 Hours of Le Mans, with # 63 just behind. Behind them was one Aston Martin; four Ferrari's broke down/dropped out. The second Austin Martin also broke down.

The Corvettes finished #5th and #6th overall! Neither of the C6R's spent one minute in the garage for repairs, in spite of both/each going over 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Outstanding Victory :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
145 Posts
- Corvette Racing made history today at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, scoring its fourth 1-2 finish in the GT1 class in five years with the new Corvette C6.R. Corvette Racing drivers Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen reprised their victory in last year's 24-hour endurance race, and were again joined on the podium by teammates Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Max Papis.

The team celebrated Corvette's 45th anniversary at Le Mans in style, finishing fifth and sixth overall. Corvette Racing turned back the challenge of the Aston Martin team in a hard-fought battle that often saw all four cars on the same lap. In scorching heat, the twin yellow Corvettes completed 349 and 347 laps respectively, scoring the 38th win for Corvette Racing in international road racing and the team's 25th 1-2 finish.

After trailing its rivals through the night, the 19th hour proved to be the turning point for Corvette Racing. The No. 64 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Gavin, Beretta and Magnussen took the point when the leading Aston Martin pitted for repairs. The Corvette kept relentless pressure on its pursuers, running 3-minute, 55-second laps in withering 97-degree heat. The Corvette victory was sealed when both Aston Martins encountered problems in the 23rd hour,

"I pushed hard, it was like qualifying every lap," said Magnussen, who drove a stunning double stint at the crucial time. "I was trying to stay out of trouble, be consistent and work the traffic. It paid off and we wore out the competition. I enjoyed every minute of it because I could see that we could open up the gap. It's the best we could hope for."

"This is a fantastic result for the first time we've run the C6.R at Le Mans," Gavin declared after he forced the pace in the closing hours in his own double stint. "The Corvette Racing team just never, ever gives up. The team told me that we needed a certain lap time to make sure they would never catch us. We achieved the lap time we needed, and they broke. I take my hat off to Aston Martin, but nobody beats Corvette Racing. I'm just delighted to be part of the team and driving with brilliant teammates like Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen."

Full article on the ALMS website! :usa:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Fantastic Victory for Corvette, America, and General Motors!
:usa: :usa: :usa:

One of our members went to LeMans! :cheers: How do I know?
Well he's a buddy of mine, and I called him several days ago thinking he was home in New York...No, he was in Brussels and I called him at 2AM local time. :rofl:

Have a safe trip home Frank! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
To the corvette racing team and drivers Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Max Papis thanks for a great victory, well done. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Great race not only for Team Corvette, but also American Le Mans teams in general who won at least three of the four classes, including the overall win. There were certainly a lot of American flags on the podium this year. :usa:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Subdriver said:
Great race not only for Team Corvette, but also American Le Mans teams in general who won at least three of the four classes, including the overall win. There were certainly a lot of American flags on the podium this year. :usa:
Was a great victory for all of the teams. It was great hearing our National Anthem.

I was up off and on all night watching the Speed Network. It was very good.

D.J.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Great victory for the Corvette Racing Team.

congratulations to all the drivers and the all the team members for making us all very proud.

:usa::usa::usa:

Mark

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Great to see the C6's dominate, American Muscle :usa:

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is so interesting that the Corvette team got faster times as teh day grew hotter. The rival Aston M's were just opposite. They couldn't take the heat. I also were impressed with the fact that the Corvettes have AC for their drivers. Talk about drivabilities. :flag:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
It was a great race...I stayed up as late as I could watching and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to the TV on and the announcer saying that the Vettes had just finished and won the race. I was stoked. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yet another victory for Chevy over the euros. The chevys just keep on running with little or no problems. I get tired of hearing how great the euro cars are compared to vettes. The work done by the vette team certainly translates to the same type of reliablility for our vettes. The next time your euro buddy says "But it's a chevy" ask them to run their euro car hard for 12 hours along with your vette. I am sure he will be calling Hans to fix his german car long before you will be calling your vette guy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I for one loved the sound that the C6 V8 brought to the surround sound in my living room when SpeedTV was clever enough to have the C6 in-car on.

To see an American team, albeit with Audi chassis/power win, is something incredible, and not seen since 1967, when it would have been my father, at a younger age than me, celebrating that win.

Congratulations to Chevrolet, to the Corvette team (from supplier to Bowling Green Assembly) and to the race team most of all, for making each of us so proud of the accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It looks like the Vettes in GT1 beat all the cars in LM2. Is it typical for GT1 to do better?

In fact, they beat all but 4 cars in LM1, which seems really impressive.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Congratulations to the entire Team. It was a trememdous race to watch.

It's amazing to think that everything that team has learned also went to develop the C6ZO6.

After watching this race, I've decided that attending the race at Le Mans is on my "To Do List" before I die.

The sound of the C6R V8 was like angry thunder tearing apart the earth. It sent chills up my spine and put a smile on my face. I was thinking about getting a C6 vert, but after watching that race, I can live without the ragtop, but not without the C6Z06.

Congrats again to the entire Corvette Racing Team and to all those involved!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Watched parts of the race and the Vettes looked awesome!!
American Muscle at its finest!!!! :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
Was a little worried during the flat tire incident but they pulled through.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wish I had gone to LeMans rather than Indy this weekend! Now I hear that Champ car is honoring USGP tickets at the Cleveland race which also has Speed World Challenge. Nice gesture to race fans (I can't go, used up all the points with the wife this weekend, damn).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
novetteyet said:
It looks like the Vettes in GT1 beat all the cars in LM2. Is it typical for GT1 to do better?

In fact, they beat all but 4 cars in LM1, which seems really impressive.
Yep, the C6R is a wonderful racing car. I've heard Ron Fellows discussing the possibility of winning an ALMS race outright. They do not think such a result is impossible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts