Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article in the August 12 edition of AutoWeek. The author claims that Corvette guys (and women) are primarily gray-haired, that Corvette is still paying the price for the 1991 decision to mothball development of the C5. He also says that younger people "aren't looking at" the Corvette as a desireable car to own.:-? I'm 50...so maybe I'm not qualified to claim otherwise...but I seem to see lots of people in their 30s driving vettes. What does eveyone else think...are younger people not aspiring to Corvettes?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think it is a matter of not aspiring for a new Vette, I think it is the cost of these cars. Very few young drivers can afford a $50K car, not to mention the added insurance.

Welcome to the Forum!! :coo:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ditto guys. I'm 27 and wanted a Z06 for the sheer performance. I looked at them all and decided it was one of the best bang for the bucks out there as it exceeds most cars that are more than twice the price. The sticker shock just puts it out reach for the lower half of the age group. I get thumbs up from 15-70.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 26 and although I don't own a Z06, I bought my first Vette about a month ago (2000 hardtop). It's my first vette after owning 3 mustangs (5.0, cobra, etc.) over the past 7 years. I personally wouldn't pay the money for a new vette because I think they are simply too expensive but would rather wait and purchase a used one as I did for half the money. I am considering purchasing a '02 Zo6, but I'll have to wait and see where my car will be in a year or two. By them I'll probably have a cartek h/c package and a number of other goodies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 20 year old son has a 97 Camaro RS and and an 89 'bad-to-the-bone' Firebird Formula. I have to keep the keys to my 72 big-block, my 96 LT4, and my 01 Z hidden. He (and most of his running buddies) would trade both his cars and his left testicle for any of my Vettes!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm 26 and I've wanted a vette all my life (have one now obviously). I think Autoweek is just stuck on that stereotype, because often people who can afford vettes are older and more established in life. Its not that younger people don't like vettes- its that they usually can't afford them!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am 26 and I absolutly love my vette...maybe the "younger" people don't really "bother" with them because not too many of the "younger" people can afford the price tag on them and even if they could, maybe they couldn't afford the insurance on them...Who knows? :-? But, I know I am young and I am very interested in the vettes...And as far as the "younger" people not being "interested" in the vette, they sure are when I am driving it down the road :p

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I agree with Frank 100%. On the money issue. This article writer has his head too far up in the clouds. What young person doesn't want a vette???? The last time I looked in the mirror I didn't have any grey hair yet:p :p I had been waiting 11 years for my own vette and now I got one!!!!! I bought my first vette, a 95' coupe when I was 22 and my Z at 24 so I can put that article to rest;) ;) :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
487 Posts
that's :bs: I am 23 this is my 3rd vette ( have a 87 & sold my 92 to buy the z) i love them... but lets be practical
1. not everyone should have a vette ( alot of power and not enough driving skill!! )
2. most of us have a second car to get around if it is raining or you know you have to go to a bad part of town... were you will never want to leave you vette
3. insurance is insane the younger you are
and most people want a car they can put things or more people in for trips and daily use...
so i think it appeals to all ages its just not practical for most people
just my .02
:guiness: :cheers:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
qs_zo6 said:
that's :bs: I am 23 this is my 3rd vette ( have a 87 & sold my 92 to buy the z) i love them... but lets be practical
1. not everyone should have a vette ( alot of power and not enough driving skill!! )
2. most of us have a second car to get around if it is raining or you know you have to go to a bad part of town... were you will never want to leave you vette
3. insurance is insane the younger you are
and most people want a car they can put things or more people in for trips and daily use...
so i think it appeals to all ages its just not practical for most people
just my .02
:guiness: :cheers:
Well said, qs:yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Want to hear something hilarious???.
I have been with SF Insurance for over 30 years.....
IF, I had bought a Camaro Z-28, or an SS...the insurance would be MORE than my Z...........
What does that tell you about the age/accident ratios for the pony cars????

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is total :bs:. I am 19 and have been saving for 6-7 years to be able to buy a 50th anniversary vette. I did not get one though, ordered a Z.:D Any one of my friends would love to have a vette in fact I have to give about I donno a thousand people rides in it once I pick it up. ;) Oh, wait I don't have gray hair guess I better cancel my order:roll:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I would have agree on the money issue. I have always wanted a Corvette and wasn't able to afford one. I was supposed to wait until I was 40 to get one. But, I twisted Pat's arm real hard when SLP or GM lost our SS. With the 2.9% Financing we got it 2 years early:D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I read someplace that school boys buy more car related book covers thatn any other style. Sports car rule with the kids. I agree with Frank, must be the money.

·
20,625 Posts
Did you see the picture of the guy?? :-? He had grey hair also (except on top :lol: !) He's probably jealous that he can't afford one!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the exigencies of family, career and other variables, I couldn't get my first Vette until I was 44. Also I had gray hair by that time ... Naught to do about it except be a silver fox! :lol:

I really think jokers like that should be hog-tied, or have their keyboards superglued, for continuing to make dumb statements, trying to be divisive in the community (the age thing), and be assigned to watching continuous re-runs of Pee-Wees Playhouse until they get their mental state on right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan

·
Registered
532 Posts
fcalmes said:
I don't think it is a matter of not aspiring for a new Vette, I think it is the cost of these cars. Very few young drivers can afford a $50K car, not to mention the added insurance.

Welcome to the Forum!! :coo:
I couldn't agree more, I have a sixteen, fifteen and nine year old. All of there friends know this car and love it.

If someone my age (45) sees the car they say nice vette. A kid looks at it and says "You got a ZO6 WOW" :cool:

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It's definetely a money and insurance issue and not because the younger generation wouldn't rather have a Corvette. At car cruises, it's always the 19 to 25 year olds that my Z06 attracts. When I was in street rods most of the other guys were old and gray and it's the same way with members of the local Harley HOG chapters with very few exceptions.

:z: :z: :z:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts