Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok whats the major differneces in the regular vette vs the Z06? I know there is about 30 hp differnece or so but is there really 6k worth more mods between the two. Can you make the vette just as quick as the zo6 for 3k more? Just curious
Thanks
R

J

·
0 Posts
If your planning on ordering one..GET THE ZO6! It will be the best money you ever spent!

Its the total package..

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Vert and Coupe have 350HP. 02 Z06 has 405 HP and 400TRK. Z06 has different trans gearing to allow faster acceleration through first 3 gears. Z also has better brakes and suspension for road courses. The Z is also lighter. Has F1 Supercar tires specific to the Z. The Z in general is a racecar for the street. You could mod a (regular) vette to equal the Z, but not for 3K as you would have to mod it in many areas to compete with the Z overall. :smile:

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you want a cruiser get a coupe...if you want a sportscar get the Z06!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bro,

I was going to sell my Vettes after 26 years of having them and get a SUV. :roll:

I finally have a Vette of my dreams!! :cool:

Z06 ... A F*cking Real Corvette!! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
both are good

Both cars are great. I owned a Z28 with T-tops and I appreciated having the option of taking the tops off for a little fresh air. I recently bought a Z06 because I got tired of having to re-arrange the trunk area just to store the top. Also, I didn't like the idea of having the contents of my trunk on display to the public. I don't like having that much glass in the back. If you are a very tall person (~6'6") you will require the top to be removed when you race while wearing a helmet.

I drove both the Corvette Coupe and the Z06 and they both are a blast to drive. Because the Coupe is about 100 pounds heavier than the Z06, you would need about 70 more horsepower to be as fast. This can be attained with an air filter (15), MAF (5), headers (10), exhaust (15), ported throttle body/intake/head cylinders (25). (Somebody please check my estimates.) The last item is a lot of work. The total cost would be under the 3K budget that you have, if you are willing to do most of the work. However, after making this sizable investment, it would be difficult to pass on the cost to the next owner when you decide to sell.

The shorter gears in the Z06 tranny don't really help in pure, straight line acceleration, but feel great around town and on the highway. You won't miss too much here if you're only concerned about drag racing acceleration. You could also change the rear differential to a 3.73 ratio and get similar gearing to the Z06. No recalibration is required after this mod.

The wheels on the Z06 are an inch wider all around, but they don't look as good as the current 5-spoke wheels on the coupe. BTW, I think that adding the Z06 rear brake vents to a Coupe would look slightly odd. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts