Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif SAD IN SCHAUMBURG /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I'm so bummed. I went to my dealer tonight to pick up the new Z, but while inspecting the car, I found a stress crack on the driver's side quarter panel where the quarter panel meets the B pillar. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

That spot is just to the right of the door and is about one inch wide. It had about a one inch long crack right down the middle. It looked like it must have happened during assembly while torquing down the quarter panel.

The dealer offered to repair the car, but I wouldn't want to go through a body panel replacement on a brand new car; especially the rear quarter.

It was hard to do after all of this waiting, but I refused the car. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I guess on the positive side, I immediately got on the phone to Les Stanford in Dearborn, MI and put a deposit down on another MY car with an 8/20 TPW that was still available.

I guess the moral of this sad story is: check your car over *carefully* before accepting it.

Now I'm just hoping that I won't be wasting a 600-mile round-trip to Dearborn to find another defect like that.

I hope no one else has to go through this, especially on an out of state delivery. Good luck all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Man, I am so sorry to hear this!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sherylann's '99 FRC had defective paint, but the dealer replaced the car. I know how you feel!!

What a bummer!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear about that, I know if it happened to me I'd be /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif . I agree that you did the right thing though. You waited this long for a perfect car and accepting anything less would probably lead to regrets later. The time will pass and then you'll be truly happy with what you have.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Truly sorry to hear about your car.I'm buying a car out of state and would be totally bummed if that's what I got.Wish you better luck on your next one.G:flaming:

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
pmontelo, sorry to hear about your troubles. You did the right thing! I was pissed yesterday when I spotted a VERY minor scratch in the clear coat of my new EB Z06. I held up the delivery until I phoned fcalmes for some advice. I made the dealer sign their life away before I finally agreed to accept the car. Good luck, the wait IS worth it! FUBU69/LES /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

2001 Z06 SPEEDWAY WHITE/MODIFIED RED INTERIOR-Corsa Indy's/Pro Tips, Corsa X Pipe, Vortex/Carbon Fiber Power Duct, Z06 Wet Okles Mod Red Seat Covers, Z06 Extra Wide Rolled Exhaust Plate, Red/Clear Euro Lenses, CM Factory OEM Chrome Wheels, BPP Rear Lowering Kit, FRC/Z06 Partition ,Design Specialties Chrome & Decals, STILL EVOLVING! On Order, '02 EB Z06 TPW 7/30 Order # DKMKC7 KEEPING BOTH, I HOPE!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow! That's terrible. I hope I can look mine over long enough to ever notice something like that before driving it away.
The Will Power you must have!:cool:
Would it be foolish to beleive that by taking Museum Delivery, That someone else would have noticed such a defect? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How do you handle something like this if you are doing museum delivery. My dealer has told me that he wants me to do all the paperwork before I go up there. In that case, would I be stuck with it?? This has been troubling me for a while now....

chris

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OK, as someone who is getting a Museum delivery in 7 days, I have been told that Museum delivery cars are literally gone over with an electron microscope. If any problems are found, they can literally be taken across the street and fixed. Hope this is true since my paperwork is completed and the car is paid for! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ditto... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
575 Posts
What a ball buster that is! I'll have nightmares thinking I'll have it happen to me next month!!!
I would think the best place to have that happen is during the Museum delivery...got all those parts across the street. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
I wonder if they'll ever figure out the obvious (about out of breath holler'in about this one), you watch your car be built on Monday, get to start it an all that good stuff, they prep the car out back or over at the museum, AND ITS DELIVERED TO YOU THE NEXT DAY!! Please no excuses...I've heard them all and none of them float!!!!
Mercedes and Porsche do it so it is NOT impossible.
Come on GM, make it happen and let the Museum do the prep and make some $$$$
Ok...off the soapbox!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Is it true that problems are fixed by the plant????
I heard that museum cars are taken to the local Chevy shop in BG and then driven back to the museum. That's right, I heard they are driven by a porter. I was a little dismayed at this.
I was also depressed when I heard that problems are handled by the BG dealer, not the plant.
Someone in the know please tell me otherwise. I wanted any potential problems fixed by the plant, not a dealer.
chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pat, you definatly made the right choice. Quarter panel replacement on hard top cars is a mess. The hard top section on my 01 Z seems to have settled and the gap between the B pillar and the quarter panel is almost touching. I was told to fix this the roof would have to come off. Every great car has at least one magor flaw and on the hard tops it is that you cant access two fasteners under the base of the top with out removing it or cutting the hell out of it. I hope this eases your pain as its making me pissed all over again. "copterjohn"

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, I'm hanging in there. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif The other car I have a deposit on should be built next week... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

copterjohn, thanks for the info. I figured the quarter panel would be hard to remove, but it sounds like it is worse than I thought.

Another thing I didn't mention before that everyone may want to look out for when inspecting the car:

There was a black scuff mark on the inside edge of the body panels in the gap between quarter panel and the long narrow panel immediately behind the rear window. I'm guessing the mark was made when they wacked it with a rubber mallet trying to align the panels during assembly.

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06 Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6 - DOA /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but PSMs
Try #2 - TPW 8/20!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
What a bunch of Wussies! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif Museum Delivery...HAH!! REAL Z drivers get their cars delivered like this:

...in a DIRT PARKING LOT! ...car was already PAID for... Quarter Panel Damage??!!...couldn't even SEE the Q.P.! ...Hell...couldn't see out of the WINSHIELD!

...bunch of damn poseurs! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

HarleyB (eating broken glass for breakfast! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have always heard that Museum delivery cars are as close to flawless as it gets - tha't one of the reasons I'm going that route. Of course the other reason is the enjoyment of the Delivery program.

I may be a "wussy", but the payment of approximately 50k simoleons entitles me to more than a "dirt delivery" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The car may look like Harley's by the time I get it home! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

But, it won't fer long... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
282 Posts
HarleyB, I remember your delivery as you posted some other pictures of it some time ago. Did you pick up the car straight from the delivery truck or did it sit at your dealer for a while? Did the dealer wash it afterward or did you do it yourself?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts