Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been following this site since I got my Z last year and have always found it helpful with researching problems I have. I came across a new problem and wanted to see if my problem is a common occurrence with these cars.

I washed my Z this last weekend and after I pulled it back into the garage, I dropped my keys. When I bent down to pick them up, I noticed a crack on the lower drivers side rocker panel, just under the chrome GM square logo ('07 Z). I inspected the panel and it doesn't appear that I bottomed it out as there no scrapes or scratches. The crack is approximately 1-2 inches. I do take dips in the road at an angle and I hear the occasional squeak, but nothing major. I bought my Z last year with 1700 miles on it and I have about 4500 miles on it now.

The only thing that I can think that it can be was that I took it into the shop about 4 months ago to have the axle oil changed out to fix chattering. They had to put it on a 4 post lift to service it. Of course I talked to the service manager and he advised me that I should have inspected it before I pulled away so they cant do anything about it now. My bad, go figure.

I just want to know if cracked lower rocker panels are common with how low there vehicles are. I am waiting back on the dealership on how much its going to cost to repair the panel. I'm sure its going to cost a pretty penny. The wife told me not to drop my keys anymore next to my Z and the crack will fix itself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I carry a set of four lifting "pucks" in both of our C6's. It is amazing how many places never use/heard of them (tire shops, muffler shops, etc). One local tire store bought a set after I got new rims installed there for my wife's C6, and now they get all of the Corvette business!

·
Super Moderator
21,412 Posts
Cracked rockers are not a common problem, at least that I'm aware of. I find it hard to believe that a rocker could crack due to frame flex because one thing the frames on these cars are not, is flexible. Of course in the grand scheme of things, anything is possible and the C6 Corvettes are starting to age a bit so perhaps that crack is stress related. I don't know.

Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same thing happened to me! I suspect it was the Chevy dealer because the car has never been out of my sight while it was being driven--except for an oil change. Mine was cracked just behind the wheelwell and actually pulled the fender line out towards the tire. A recommended autobody shop wants to replace the whole fender and paint the door and hood to color match the new fender.

I don't want to do this. Can anyone recommend a good autobody that can repair carbon fiber fenders in the Northern Virginia area?

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
Welcome to the site YD.
Both of these shops are excellent:
D&V Autobody in Chantilly, VA
or
Stingrays in Purcellville

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been following this site since I got my Z last year and have always found it helpful with researching problems I have. I came across a new problem and wanted to see if my problem is a common occurrence with these cars.

I washed my Z this last weekend and after I pulled it back into the garage, I dropped my keys. When I bent down to pick them up, I noticed a crack on the lower drivers side rocker panel, just under the chrome GM square logo ('07 Z). I inspected the panel and it doesn't appear that I bottomed it out as there no scrapes or scratches. The crack is approximately 1-2 inches. I do take dips in the road at an angle and I hear the occasional squeak, but nothing major. I bought my Z last year with 1700 miles on it and I have about 4500 miles on it now.

The only thing that I can think that it can be was that I took it into the shop about 4 months ago to have the axle oil changed out to fix chattering. They had to put it on a 4 post lift to service it. Of course I talked to the service manager and he advised me that I should have inspected it before I pulled away so they cant do anything about it now. My bad, go figure.

I just want to know if cracked lower rocker panels are common with how low there vehicles are. I am waiting back on the dealership on how much its going to cost to repair the panel. I'm sure its going to cost a pretty penny. The wife told me not to drop my keys anymore next to my Z and the crack will fix itself.

How bout making an insurance claim?...... depending on your deductible

I have a similar problem on pass/side rocker panel. trying to figure out best way to fix it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts