Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called Friday to inform me that my 02 EB Z06 was in. As I had requested, the car was untouched other than performing the PDI. I had been tracking the car from the rail to the dealer so when I arrived in an hour, I felt confident that other than the mechanical review the car was left alone and parked.
I was shocked to find that the car had 26 miles on the odometer, especially since the dealer did an abbreviated check out drive (only taking it around the block). I accepted the explanation that the car was a random candidate for a QC drive at the plant.

After spending two hours at the dealer checking the car and, removing the cosmolene, plastic, door guards, etc, I was pleased to find no common damage (i.e. broken rockers, etc.). I then washed the car with Zaino and completed the transaction.

This is where is gets bad. While walking around the car in my garage, I noticed a 7”x1.5” area on the trunk lid that has been refinished with an airbrush!!!! The paint isn’t even close to matching, other than being blue!!! Upon closer inspection, I now noticed some buff swirls on the rear deck and bumper as well as compound misting in the passenger rear wheel well and one tail light recess. The 26 miles on the odometer now made sense if the car had to be pulled and touched up.

I then called the dealership in shock to let them know what I found. The General Manager first assured me that they had no knowledge of any rework and then was pissed that GM would rework a car without any notice to them or myself. He assured me that he would have the rear deck refinished at any shop that I would like.

My first inclination is to have GM shove the car up their A** for trying to pull a fast one on me. Reworking a retail order car and not saying anything to the buyer is BS!!! However, I don’t need the stress associated with a drawn-out battle to get a new car.

The dealer is being nothing but the best about this. In fact they are acting hotter about the whole thing than I am. However, I’m nervous that EB can’t be matched due to the metallic content. The last thing I want is a mismatched rear decklid or a repainted car.

If a full repaint is the only answer, then I’ll have to give my lawyer a call and start down that long road.

Has anyone had to have a panel repainted in EB? If so, can it be matched without any indication?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't see where it would be any more difficult than say, Mag Red or QS. Ask around for a reference on a quality shop and they will fix it right up.

Other than that I hope you are enjoying the car!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Jone - sorry to hear your problem.

do you live anywhere near Atlanta? If so, I know where to take your car for a perfect paint job..

Vince :z:

·
Registered
0 Posts
System damage in automotive assembly is common. Employees drop a wrench, or accidently scratch the vehicle etc. Touching up with an airbrush is not the norm for repairs. My guess is that someone damaged it somewhere else and tried to cover it up. Just my .02. Sorry to hear it man!! :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank and Co., thanks for your replies.

I now understand that I can get a replacement panel from the factory. That sounds like the best solution.

I love these forums!!!!

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Jone sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced. I'm not suprised that you missed these flaws during wash and Zaino. EB is one of the most unique colors I have seen on any car. The color change in different lighting is very dramatic and the significant use of the metalic and clear coat creates an optical illusion effect on different areas of the car depending on the direction of the light source. This condition makes it very hard to find flaws and scratches. Always have sombody with during pick up as a 2nd set of eyes and make sure you have a good source of light. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
156 Posts
:(

Sorry to hear about your Z. I went through this same thing a few years ago when I bought a new '93 Ford Lightning truck. I found masking tape around the head light bezel and the hood paint didn't match the rest of the truck. I consulted a lawyer and found out that neither the dealer nor the factory has to disclose damages as long as they are less than $500.00 (I believe).
The amount could be different now.
No one would admit anything so I gave up after writing Ford and telling them my next Ford will be a Cheverolet.

I wanted to dump my truck at the time but, you know what? It's been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
jone said:
Frank and Co., thanks for your replies.

I now understand that I can get a replacement panel from the factory. That sounds like the best solution.

I love these forums!!!!
I'm glad it appears it will be resolved to your satisfaction :)

How long until you get the replacement panel? Keep us informed.

Vince :z:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My god, why would you think calling a shyster would be the best solution. Why would you choose to go down that long expensive road for a paint defect on the trunk. If I were you I would rething that knee jerk reaction. Calling a shyster would be my last ditch effort. :-?

Repainting a trunk deck is a pretty simple task, and you have a three year warranty. Any problem with the paint job will show up within that time frame.

·
NCM Delivery Staff
611 Posts
Just want to point out a couple things from my side of the fence. The Corvette Assembly plant does not use any Airbrush in the rework of the cars. If they are going to fix it they will replace it or buff it. They do not airbrush anything. 1 major plus of NCM delivery! :D

Also, the car having 26 miles on it seems kinda fishy to me. The plant selects some cars off the line for an audit test. They get 30-40 miles on them. These are only dealer lot cars and not sold order cars to a customer.

The plant may be sending you out a new replacement panel, but is it painted? Al,ost anything they would send would be unpainted. Check this out before comitment.

I hope this helps.

These are not excuses, they are only observations I have seen....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts