Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fully aware that cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking, and in most cases aren't an imporvement over stock rotors. But they look good. That being said, are the generic rotors you see on ebay acceptable to put on a Z?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cobra#3747 said:
The GM cross drilled rotors are cheap. Can get them from GMpartsdirect.
I second that. About $160 for the set from GMpartsdirect, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, no worries about the quality of rotors you buy cheap from some stranger on e-bay.

·
Registered
475 Posts
1 year

My cross-drilled have been on about a year without any problems. I don't track the car. I also use the gas pedal more than I use the brake pedal.

Chas.

·
Banned
809 Posts
JUICE said:
I'm fully aware that cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking, and in most cases aren't an imporvement over stock rotors. But they look good. That being said, are the generic rotors you see on ebay acceptable to put on a Z?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7965290653&category=33564&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
These are fine, especially for street use. What this shop did is took an OEM replacement rotor, much like the NAPA rotors that we've discussed on this forum, and then machined them and coated them. The coating is actually nice because it keeps the rotors from rusting. A big plus for a street application in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about cross drilling for the street either. The brakes just don't get nearly the abuse that they do on the track. I use cross drilled rotors on the street and have had zero problems with them.

For street applications, you might get 50K miles or better out of a set of rotors. What kills the rotors are agressive pads and heavy repeated use that you see in track conditions. I never even come close to taxing the brakes the way that I do on the track on the street.

Sal

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

I would go with the GM rotors, but I love the look of the black rotors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SexyLex said:
Ever thought about getting this instead?

Cost a bit more than the ones on ebay but way better looking. :)

Gorgeous. But a little too pricey. :eek:o:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts