Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jacked up the rear of the car to install CAGS defeat and found that the rear cross member had sloppy and crooked machining on the edges. It seems someone or GM tried to shave the edges down? Does anybody else have this or did I buy a car that had some problem? I bought it used with only 5k. (01')

Also, when I shut the motor off - the exhaust rattles horribly. I was warned that Chevys rattle, but this is ridiculous. Does anybody else have this problem or is it just specific to me?:-?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
From the FAQ section:

My Z06 runs great, but makes lots of noises, what's wrong?
Well, probably nothing! The Z06 is basically a racecar, and racecars are noisy! Most owners report a clanging in the driveline in Neutral or during shutoff. This is affectionately called the "marbles in a can" sound and is perfectly normal. Owners also report a slight tapping at light throttle and idle, again, normal valvetrain sounds from a car with less insulation and more agressive cam. Of course, anything very loud or seemingly abnormal should be inspected right away or just search in the forum for noises, lots of great info there.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
rear end rattle

I have developed a rear end rattle (deep sounding) when turning and driving over those little road reflectors between the white lines. At first I thought it might be something in the trunk (air pump)--after removing everything in the trunk I am still having the same noise.

Car runs great though----gonna Zaino it for the first time this weekend!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
ZEBRA said:
Jacked up the rear of the car to install CAGS defeat and found that the rear cross member had sloppy and crooked machining on the edges. It seems someone or GM tried to shave the edges down? Does anybody else have this or did I buy a car that had some problem? I bought it used with only 5k. (01')

Also, when I shut the motor off - the exhaust rattles horribly. I was warned that Chevys rattle, but this is ridiculous. Does anybody else have this problem or is it just specific to me?:-?
Zebra,

The "machining" (grinding) on the cross member is on my car as well so I assume it's normal, see the attached pic. Maybe it's a crude attempt to save a little more weight. ;)

When you shut off the engine, leave the clutch pushed in and you won't get the "marbles in a tin can" sound. This comes from the drive line setup on the C5, engine up front connected by torque tube to trans in the rear.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yep...

The cross memeber in my car is all jagged and rough. (thats mass production for you)

One of my mufflers hangs lower than the other. (which I will fix soon)

I can hear the valvetrain rattling at low rpms. (To be expected with a big cam)

The clutch "clunks" when I let it out in neutral (oh well)

When I shut the car down stuff rattles and clanks. (oh well, it ain't broke)

And the stereo is a pile of garbage. ( I din't buy it to listen to the stereo, I bought it to listen to the motor)

But, it still a pretty cool car, and I don't consider any of this stuff to be detrimental to the car, or unexpected. I actually wouldn't mind if the car had a few more rough edges. I bought the car to be light, fast, and handle like a slot car. Theey could have shipped it to me radio delete, manual windows, and cloth seats and I wouldn't have minded. But, thats just me...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't call a car with ac, carpet, sound deadening mat'l, street tires, stereo, pwr seats, etc. a "race car." I just thought $50,000 could buy a little better quality. It seems after talking with other Z06 owners that they experience similar rattles and machining.

I have a "race car" completely stripped w/ solid trans and motor mounts that is noisy as heck, but doesn't rattle. But the Z06 is fun to drive to work everyday and I guess that's what matters most.

I'll try the keep the clutch in thing when shutting off.

Thanks for all the replies!!

:) :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ZEBRA -- the rattle you hear is normal. It is even talked about in the video that comes with the car. It is an inherent design of the tranny that makes it rattle. Don't worry about it -- just drive and enjoy the ride :D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts