Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it in hand but no scanner. I'll try to take digital pics but in the mean time...

The numbers are a little different than posted previously, but not in a bad way:

0-60 3.5
1/4 [email protected] 127.1
Lateral acceleration 1.05 g avg

BTW, I dont see any mention of 1-100 or 0-150 times. They do have a graph showing acceleration up to 140 mph which if I'm reading correctly it would appear to hit in 14 seconds so that seems to fit with the mentioned 0-150 time of 17 seconds. Estimated 0-100 from the graph is 7.4 seconds.

Also, peak lateral g measured was 1.18g.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
TahoeM3 said:
I have it in hand but no scanner. I'll try to take digital pics but in the mean time...

The numbers are a little different than posted previously, but not in a bad way:

0-60 3.5
1/4 [email protected] 127.1
Lateral acceleration 1.05 g avg

BTW, I dont see any mention of 1-100 or 0-150 times. They do have a graph showing acceleration up to 140 mph which if I'm reading correctly it would appear to hit in 14 seconds so that seems to fit with the mentioned 0-150 time of 17 seconds. Estimated 0-100 from the graph is 7.4 seconds.

Also, peak lateral g measured was 1.18g.


NICE! :guiness:

Pics please....

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
....but I heard the Viper just got a big change too. They've now add a special "Viper blue" paintjob to their line-up.


I have to comend GM on stepping up to the plate. I don't know what Chrysler is doing with the Viper program nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
SRT-10 does 0-150 in 22.4 secs.
Z06 in 17 secs
that is ~5.5 secs faster to 150. Us car guys know what a second of a difference is. 5 secs is A LOT. that would mean by 150 mph, the Z would be so far ahead that the SRT would be a dot in the rear view mirror. I got to ride in a C6 Z and while it is faster than the SRT, i am not sure is it is THAT much faster.

I dont know guys..Do you think they sent a few ringers to the mags??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blackc6 said:
finally someone steps up and scans something.. thank you, you are the man TahoeM3!!!!
I actually just took digital pics of the article but no place to host them (5mp pics).

Here are some quotes:

"A slight lifter "tick tick" at idle erupts into big-block fury under hard acceleration, thanks to butterfly valves in two of the four exhaust tips that are there mostly for drive-by-noise regs, but, once open (from 3500-rpm up to the 7000-rpm redline), allow the engine to howl at full song.

You wont have heard anything like it since they stopped running production-car-based Trans-Am races in the 1970s. We bolted our own test equipment to a car at GM's Milford Proving Ground and found it had grunt enough to hurl this 3147-pound coupe to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and nail the standing quarter in 11.5 seconds at 127.1 mph. That 7000-rpm redline is almost superfluous, by the way, because the weapons-grade torque seam is so rich and flat that third gear is about all you need for most occasions. But it does mean the Z06 will hit 60 mph in first gear (albeit just past redline)."

...

"Nurburgring's few low-speed corners probed the balance and lateral limits of the chassis. While understeer is theoretically possible, you'd have to purposely cook a corner and yank the wheel to find it. More often, g-loads high enough to separate platelets from whole blood (we recorded a peak 1.18g) give way to a gentle drift followed by throttle-induced oversteer--not the fast way out of a bend, true, but a helluva lot of fun. It's east to give the give-and-take interplay between front and rear grip with the Z06's throttle because the car's balance is phenomenal--not necessarily due to its near 50/50 weight distribution, but the way the tires' grip is distributed and, once exceeded, released to gradually and predictably."

Basically they loved the performance, but said it had some bigger tradeoffs for the street than the base C6. "The 2006 Z06 is a specialized car for a specialized buyer." "A Z06 buyer wont mind paying $65,800 for the privilege of yelling to his passenger above 60 mph." They also say, "It feels a lot like a race car made just street legal enough to get a license plate, a bit like a 21st-century Ferrari 250 GTO."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Thank you!!

This made my 5 stops today at every magazine store with no luck worth while.... now I can wait utill Monday or Tuesday untill it comes in where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
TahoeM3 said:
Basically they loved the performance, but said it had some bigger tradeoffs for the street than the base C6. "The 2006 Z06 is a specialized car for a specialized buyer." "A Z06 buyer wont mind paying $65,800 for the privilege of yelling to his passenger above 60 mph." They also say, "It feels a lot like a race car made just street legal enough to get a license plate, a bit like a 21st-century Ferrari 250 GTO."
This is the part I like best about the new Z06. The standard C6 is way too boring and lacks any character. Glad to hear the Z has an edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Zlicious said:
SRT-10 does 0-150 in 22.4 secs.
Z06 in 17 secs
that is ~5.5 secs faster to 150. Us car guys know what a second of a difference is. 5 secs is A LOT. that would mean by 150 mph, the Z would be so far ahead that the SRT would be a dot in the rear view mirror. I got to ride in a C6 Z and while it is faster than the SRT, i am not sure is it is THAT much faster.

I dont know guys..Do you think they sent a few ringers to the mags??
Makes me wonder as well. Is 22.4 seconds (0-150) the best any of the mags have obtained in the SRT-10? I would have thought it could do the feat in less than 22 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cerberus said:
Makes me wonder as well. Is 22.4 seconds (0-150) the best any of the mags have obtained in the SRT-10? I would have thought it could do the feat in less than 22 seconds.
It's the best I've seen. Remember R&T (which usually gets higher numbers) got 24.1 for the Viper in the 0-150 in last month's 1 mile shootout (vs. 28.9 for the C6).

Two things to remember:

1. The SRT has a LOT of drag at higher speeds because it's a convertible

2. Gearing has a lot to do with it, and while I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the SRT has some tall upper gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
TahoeM3 said:
It's the best I've seen. Remember R&T (which usually gets higher numbers) got 24.1 for the Viper in the 0-150 in last month's 1 mile shootout (vs. 28.9 for the C6).

Two things to remember:

1. The SRT has a LOT of drag at higher speeds because it's a convertible

2. Gearing has a lot to do with it, and while I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the SRT has some tall upper gears.
I can see the Viper having a fairly high coefficient of drag, which would affect the high speed acceleration.

Thanks for posting the pics of the MT article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
KINGPIN said:
The funniest thing about that scan is 28MPG


kingpin
Why funny? MT used their own equipment for all of the test according to C. Walton who wrote the MT article. I think GM's test showed 27 on the highway, if I am not wrong.

It didn't matter because by the time I had read that part of the article, my pants were getting too tight anyway after reading all that this car can do. Can't wait for my mid September delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I meant funny in the way of a car with so much power with a 7.0L motor, that performs so well, and it still gets 28 mpg.

Kingpin
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top