Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not counting free events for instructing, etc.

Just for discussion, I'm wondering what the best DE deal you've ever got was. Figure it might produce some interesting posts. :)

Yeah i know cheap and DE rarely go hand in hand. :screwy:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Went to Mid-Ohio last month. $345 for 3 days, including a garage, with the NNJPCA group. That was 8 hours of track time. Best deal I have ever seen at that track.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad since I believe the garage goes for $120ish

I think mine was IRP (not a Mid-Ohio level track) for $150 at one day...but that was 2.5 hours of mostly open lapping.

·
Registered
891 Posts
$60 for an evening 5:30 until dusk at GingerMan. You can usually burn a tank of gas on track.

MCSCC has high speed timetrials events that cost $85-100 to enter which includes beer after track closes. Usually only 2 or 3 ten minute practice sessions in the morning and 4 timed runs after lunch, so track time is somewhat limited. They run at Blackhawk Farms, Autobahn, Milwaukee Mile, and GingerMan.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've attended and taught for just about everyone over the years. My first few events were thru professional schools - TrackTime and then Car Guys. Once I got those, I started looking for cheap seat time...the Porsche clubs normally offer some of the cheapest track time you can find...partially because they also charge(d) their instructors too!! Most of the prices were around $175-300 depending on the track and how many days it was. Most of the club schools now are around $250-400 and the 'pro' schools range from $450 and up.

The club school instructors as a whole aren't normally screened as well as the pro schools so it's a crap shoot as to who you get and if they are any good. Most of the pro school instructors have more time on track and quite a few also have plenty of wheel-to-wheel racing experience.

The bottom line - you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
ANY DE in which you do NOT contact the ARMCO or Concrete Barrier is considered a bargin.

Great fun an relatively cheap thrill.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Road America, Porsche Club Nord Stern, July 11-12 2005, 10 20-minute sessions for $240. To top it off, a great group of guys, too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
that's a pretty cheap RA event... how do you get in? i'm interested for future reference.

fwiw, i usually end up paying anywhere from $135-190 per day at the track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In SoCal area at WSIR,Buttonwillow,Thunder Hill runs $150-175 per day.Some with lunch and shirt included.

A 2 day event including BBQ dinner,drinks ,music etc at Spring Mountain near Las Vegas runs about $245 for he entire weekend.

Until a year ago you could run all day for $40 at Holtville.

Most tracks have had their insurance raised in the last year which has driven up the dailey rental rate for a track.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Instruct and you can run for free at many tracks.
;)

Otherwise NASA and Turn 1 track days at CMP (now granted no VIR level track though) but 3 hours a day of time for turn 1 for $150 or so.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Last October a local guy trying to sell Radicals had a private track day. I believe I paid $200. Two groups- experienced and novices. I ran experienced. I went through two complete tanks of gas. I was on track so much I got sick and almost heaved. The sessions were so long I only completed the first two. After that I would pull in after 25 or 30 minutes. Basically there were no rules, but everyone behaved. I was out there with two team-based GT3 Cup cars. It was interesting going into turns 6 and 7 two-wide with one or both of the GT3's. I was turning in the low 1:30's they were turning in the 1:19 to 1:20's. I think I learned much more being out there solo for so long than I ever did at a normal DE event where we only get 4 20minute sessions per day. The best part of the day was one of my neighbors showed up in his Lambo that he always bragged about. He was always saying how we should race sometime. I never responded to him. He doesn't comment on his car anymore. It was no-contest.

Be safe...

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't forget the weekday vs. weekend factor. Track rentals on weekends cost around twice as much as weekdays. If you can go on weekdays then the cost and attendance will be substantially lower.

George

·
Registered
109 Posts
$100 for one day of trackage, four sessions, 30, 30, 30 and 45 minutes. Part of Rolling Thunder at Texas World Speedway. This was the test and tune thing before the autocross weekend. Quality track time on a fast course.
--Yak

1 - 20 of 23 Posts