Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first of all let me get this out. f### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### ###k!!!!!!!!
Better.

My car got scraped in the parking lot at starbuks by a 16 year old girl in a nissan maxima. I started to get mad but when I saw her face I couldn't. Poor girl. She just misjudged her distance and her car caved in the drivers side corner rear bumper area. The fiber glass bounced back but there are small stress marks on the rear corner. Her insurance should pay, where should I go for repair and how much $. I'm considering the chevy dealership. It's just a little mark, but you know how these things go. They will probably have to replace the entire back fiber glass section. That can't be cheap.
Thanks for the outlet guys. :cry:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad it's not major damage. She must have had her eyes closed to whack a MY car. Maybe she was admiring it too close. :yeadog: Good you took it so well and didn't jump all over her. Here's hoping that the repair goes quick and painless.

BTW - where is Rockwall?

Mark

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Sorry it happened. Great job on keeping your cool. It was an accident and she didn't want it to happen either. Getting mad wouldn't have done anyone any good.

Good job on keeping a level head.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wow sorry to hear about your damage!

If you have a newer vette it's actually made of composite, not fiberglass.

good luck on the repairs

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hard to hear man. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That sucks! Great job staying calm.. she was probably close enough to bawling anyway :lol:
I don't know about your chevy dealer... but I know after my experiences with a dealership's body shop, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. When I wrecked my 1st SS I took it to mine because my insurance worked directly with them and it was in the same town.. basically a convenience thing.
The work that was originally supposed to take 5 days took a week. When I got it back the 1st time the hood wouldn't latch properly because the wiper fluid thing wasn't put in right. Instead of fixing the problem they had slammed the hood down and f'ed up the paint under the hood, BAD. They agreed to fix that if I brought the car back the next afternoon. By the next morning when I was leaving for work, the paint on the front fascia was spider cracking(it was in July, got down to like 75* that night). Some other things I had noticed the previous day that were to be fixed included 3 rock chips in the hood, which hadn't sanded but merely painted over, looked like CRAP. Also many MANY bubbles in the paint on the hood. On top of all of this, they used a "recycled" front fascia which was already cracking around the marker lights on both sides. Oh yeah, there was also some slight cosmetic damage under the hood behind the passenger side taillight.. nothing major at all, I probably would have never noticed had they not aptly fixed it with SILVER SPRAY PAINT. When I took it back(that very afternoon on my lunch break) they refused to fix their mistakes without going through the insurance so, of course, they'd get paid. I ended up having to pay another $500 deductible. Keep in mind this is after they had agreed to correct THEIR mistakes.
An original estimate of $1400... a job which I could've done myself.... took $1000 directly from me, over $2000 total in the end, and a whopping 46 days to complete... although it was never actually completed because they never DID replace the cracking front fascia. :-? :bmad:
Needless to say I sold that car, too many bad memories :lol: and I'll never, EVER, EVER use a chevy dealership for body work again. Not that I'm trying to sway you or anything... Just my .02 :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership here in rockwall has done good warranty work for me in the past with my avalanche and the window stripping on my vette, but I have never had body work done before. What things should I look for in a reputable body shop? Should I decide to sell my car I want the scratches to be off, not covered up. Vette owners and buyers are very picky about details. Funny, im 32 years old and have never had an incident in or out of a vehicle. I view auto insurace a little different now.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Good job not making a bad situation worse. It's allot easier to keep calm if the offender is truly sorry and takes responsibility. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nice job not taking it out on her. Sounds like she already felt bad enough.

The rear facia on the C5/Z06 bolts onto the car. Only takes about an hour to take it off and put it back on. Should be an easy job to get a new rear facia ordered, painted, and bolted right on. :cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rear bumper (i think it is a bumper) looks to be around 1000 dollars on different websites. I guess after paint and install her insurance co. will probably owe around 1500-2000. Does that sound about right. Even though I'm not paying for the job doesn't give the body shop the right to rob her insurance.
thanks for the replies
i feel much better now.
:usa:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Call your local MB, BMW, or Porsche dealer. They all have cars, new unsold cars, that get body damage that gets fixed. And sold as new.

They have body shops or use body shops that know what they are doing. And generally won't compromise on quality.

You can get a price. If she is 16 her parents may want to just pay it rather than deal with insurance rate increases. Otherwise, let the insurance company (hers) deal with the body shop.

You should be fine. Since they have to paint the whole bumper cover, maybe the color would match. Better than Chevy could manage!

David

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cave Man said:
Good job not making a bad situation worse. It's allot easier to keep calm if the offender is truly sorry and takes responsibility. :thumb:
Exactly. If they take responsibility, always respond with patience. I had a bad experience with my last 'vette, a silver '99 coupe. Some granny in an old nissan pick-up cut me off in the parking lot at work, then proceeded to back up into a parking spot right through me. At the time I didn't know it was a woman driving the vehicle, so I tapped my horn. She of course got scared and instead of stopping, gassed it right into my front bumper. She pulled into a parking spot at the shopping center's curb, and I pulled my car behind to block her in. After arguing with me, she got back into her vehicle and drove onto the shopping center sidewalk to get away. I was mad as hell, but got her liscense plate # and ended up getting my current '02 'vette, so in the end all worked out well.

I am still in college at UNF here in Jacksonville, and their are plenty of young girls who talk on phones, put on make-up, and do God-knows what else except pay attention to how they are driving, and can't seem to understand how to park BETWEEN those white line thingys in the parking lot. My secret weapon is a camera phone. When I park, i snap a picture of the plate of any car that is just a little too close for comfort so I can track down any SOB who hits me and doesn't take responsibility.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car. Hope things turn out well. I also wouldn't take the car to the dealership. Dealerships, in general, will drag their feet on something like this - and they tend to just point the finger when something goes wrong. Go to a reputable, professional body shop.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I would check in your area for a local Corvette Cub and ask them who they use. Better to have it down by a shop that is used to working on Vettes. Plus you could probably get to see some of their work from members from the club. Just my .02
Good Luck and sorry to hear, but it could have been a lot worse.

Jack

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
gsjack said:
I would check in your area for a local Corvette Cub and ask them who they use. Better to have it down by a shop that is used to working on Vettes. Plus you could probably get to see some of their work from members from the club. Just my .02
Good Luck and sorry to hear, but it could have been a lot worse.

Jack

Good Advise. The Chevy dealer is the last place I'd ever take a car for paint work. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You are in Rockwall I would suggest Stuarts Paint and Body. They are at plano rd. and 635 area. They do all the work for 21CMC., Ferrari of Dallas and Ruf Porsche in Addison. That is who painted my hood and bumper. Anyway: http://www.stuartspnb.com/

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris310P said:
You are in Rockwall I would suggest Stuarts Paint and Body. They are at plano rd. and 635 area. They do all the work for 21CMC., Ferrari of Dallas and Ruf Porsche in Addison. That is who painted my hood and bumper. Anyway: http://www.stuartspnb.com/

Good luck

Chris
I just sent them an email. The girls insurance company wants to reccomend a shop. Is this a good idea to go with their reccomendation? Her company is progressive insurance.
thanks all

1 - 20 of 36 Posts