Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one associate, Joe Mondello, the head porting pioneer, with state-of-the-art head porting of LS1 and LS6 cylinder heads?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If he is the head porting pioneer, I guess you can associate him with any porting work done to enhance perfromance.:-?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is he not known for work on large ci Pro Stock / Mod engines?

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's a name from the past! Everyone used to get their heads done for small block Chevys by Mondello in the Los Angeles area in the 60's and 70's.

Have not kept up with what they are doing these days.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Mondello was one ....

....of the top tuners on the West Coast. Along with Dick Gulstrand. Smokey Yunich in Florida and Joel Rosen at Motion Performance in NY. Ahh the sixties when men were men.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yep

Baldwin Motion/Motion performnace. He did some fine Vettes, Camaros and Chevelles.

The EPA had a thing for him though and tried to make a legal example out of him trying to shut down all modifications. As I recall SEMA came to the rescue

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good old Joe the Oldsmobile guru.

Joe Mondello has been the King of Oldsmobile tech for many years now. His kits for the 403/455 motors make some serious earth twisting torque. In this case, Joe knows HP.

But as for your question, no I do not associate Mr. Mondello with LS1/LS6 performance.

I am quite sure that if he decides to delve into this arena he could make good power. As with anyone else there is a learning curve to overcome. The LS1/LS6 has it own quirks that one has to learn. On an LS1 head just about anyone can get 300CFM using basic porting techniques. Over that takes work and flowbench time.

Also one of the things you have to look at is when you induce turbulence into your port. You make make big flow numbers, but if in the middle your port goes into a turbulent state you will actually loose way more power than your are gaining.

The LS6 head fixes alot of the shortcomings of the LS1 head, and had much greater flow potential.

But, Mondello has always had a good reputation for cylinder heads, I just don't know if they are doing much late model stuff.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Joe Mondello teaches high performance cylinder head technology at his Mondello Technical School located in Paso Robles, CA.

Chevrolet performance cylinder heads still utilize the identical combustion chamber, which Joe designed in the early 1960's known as the "Posi-Flow" chamber. Joe Mondello designed open chamber big and small block Chevy cylinder heads and pistons long before Chevy did.

What do I win??? :lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Chevrolet performance cylinder heads still utilize the identical combustion chamber, which Joe designed in the early 1960's known as the "Posi-Flow" chamber.
If I am not mistaken, the LS1 open chamber design was changed to more of a closed chamber with the LS6 head. Volume was reduced from 67.5 cc to 64cc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts