Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys whats up, i was wondering if you thought it wise to use the z06 as a daily driver? Any Suggestions would be welcomed. Also i know it doesnt have a spare. What do u think about Runflats?

Thank You

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Its the only car I drive, an hour each way to work every day, love it, best hours of my day...

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
Save inclement weather, it's my daily driver.. It gets better mileage than a mini-pickup or SUV.. :z:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I drive mine daily, in almost 4 years I have had one flat....a camaro spare fits the Z06 rear and we got the car home with the camaro spare.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
it's tough to use a Z as a DD in NY, espeically if you're around NYC/NJ/LI, considering the daily traffic jams in the winter and summer, and the snow/de-icing chemicals/sand on the roads in the winter, you might want to get a 2nd car or a beater to drive on the days that aren't good for the Z.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I live 20 minutes north of NY city out in the surburbs and would say yes..without a doubt you could use your C5 Z06 everyday...

Obviously for the deep snow falls ....the car won't make it through a foot of snow etc...but once they plow..your good to go..

Lots of people use their corvettes as daily drivers....

Big snows....stay home till they can plow at least once..

then your good to go!

Just watch out for all the nuts in SUV"s who don't realize they might be able to go well in snow but braking is another thing altogether..

I might suggest C5 rims(400 a set/ 200 if you go with 97 to 99 rims and then add snow tires)

Its not really an added cost becausethis will just extend the mileage on your summer tires...(just recommending this as a safety net...I never bother with snow tires...but it couldn't hurt if you have concerns.)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I wouldn't drive a Z on purpose in snow; however, agree about the gas mileage. I was getting 22 - 23 mpg on my 16 miles to work and I'm not easy on it. Was only getting 19 with my S-10 pickup, V6 type.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
When I lived in MA, I drove the Z daily from April1 to Thanksgiving, then I had an old 88 Chevy Pickup for the winter driving.

Got caught a couple times in March having to drive the car in the snow, and would never do it agian, its donwright dangerous.

Mark

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
5dimension said:
As of right now i have a 1994 firebird formula, and i dont have much of a problem. how much better/worse do u think the z06 would be.

the z has more horsepower, torque and wider tires than your Formula. That being said, I drove 2 Formula Firebirds for 4 years in college in Binghamton NY and survived :) . When is snowed in inches down here, it snowed in feet in Binghamton and I drove that car every day to/from campus. I can't say that i'ld do the same thing with my Z, and not because i'm looking to keep it sheltered from the elements, more because of the hp/torque/tire setup and snow don't mix well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5D -- I bought my 03 MY Z for the purpose of it being a daily driver. We get allot less snow in the St. Louis area than you get back east but even so...... during the heavy snow days --- I just borrow the wife's ugly Honda Element (ha!).

What I can tell you is having the Z as a dd puts you in a positive mood all day long and then AGAIN for the trip home! I am in my late 50's so the days of having something just for weekends or as a garage queen are OVER. I want to drive it like I stole it each and every day!!!!

Welcome to a GREAT group of folks! Ken-

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
fwiw....I had a 69 convertible Firebird back in the early seventies...I threw studded snow tires all winter up in the Albany area...

Worked great...but didn't work as well as a Z06 ...which has ABS and active handling...to keep you safe...

If your driving a firebird now in the winter...

Get snow tires and a set of C5 rims and you'll be more than fine.

Good luck/get the car!

JB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your opinons i apprciate them very much. this will be my one and only car due to the insurance rates/payments. So it looks like if i get snow tires and winter wheels i should be fine. Thank you all again and perhaps soon i will be part of "Z" Family. :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Living here in Central Cal, the opportunity of my new baby being my daily driver is going to happen. And as many of you have mentioned the mileage I am getting is better than my previous daily driver. Granted I only drive <10 miles each way. But those few miles is my down time from work. I am learning more about this car every day, I have many of my guests to my restaurant sharing thier ideas and experiences with their vettes. Let the learning and enjoyment BEGIN!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.