Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is I suck @ drag racing..... :cry:

The track I went to is not put together very well regarding the computers, etc. They gave us times, but no slips and no MPH.

If I'm consistant @ one thing, it is slow reaction times. I was beat off the line by everyone I raced.

If I'm consistant @ two things, its spinning the darn tires every darn, darn, darn time.

I think my problem is that I get too excited or caught up in the moment so to speak.....

I have the pressure down to 26 psi, I launch @ 3k (on stock tires), but my problem is I never slip the clutch as I have read about. As soon as I launch I pretty much just floor it and go. I granny shift 1st to 2nd and have just started learning powershifting for the rest of the gears tonight.

My car is stock 01', stock tires, and Zip tie mod. I had a passenger on every run again (about 100 to 120 lbs).

I am sad to say, but I couldn't get any better than:

13.57x
13.66x

Sorry to let the Z down... I know it can do so much better.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You are launching at too high of an rpm. It's tough, but try at 2000 at first. Once you get the hang of that, then try to bump it up, but only about 200 rpm at a time. F1 tires i'm assuming.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Get rid of the passenger also.

See Ranger's sticky in this section about launching techniques.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What every you do, don't give up. It' great your out there doing it.
Tony #54

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is my first post and I feel your pain. I too feel like I’m doing a disservice to everyone who owns a Z. I’ve read the post on launch techniques (multiple times) power shift 2-3 and 3-4 and just can’t seem to get racing a stick down.

My best times where 12.60 @114 and 12.77 @112. The best I could do @ 60 foot was 2.07. Even if I get the 60 foot down to 1.90 I don’t see how it’ll go low 12’s (and don't even think high 11's).

The only thing I can think of is the temp was 220+ when I made the passes, would it pull that much timing out?

anyway, I feel that I should just keep it off the track and stop embarrassing myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
CM2 said:
My best times where 12.60 @114 and 12.77 @112. The best I could do @ 60 foot was 2.07. Even if I get the 60 foot down to 1.90 I don’t see how it’ll go low 12’s (and don't even think high 11's).

anyway, I feel that I should just keep it off the track and stop embarrassing myself.
Dang you boys are tough on yourselves....a 12.6 is a very respectable time for most drivers....

Chirodon...drop the passaenger, launch at 2000 -2500, speedshift within 200rpm of redline and practice foot/clutch hand shifting while car is stationary i.e. develop the muscle memory....

I would venture that the majority of us, our first passes were not in the 12s...(except for Ranger who was even birthed at under 12seconds)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Keep practicing! Practice is the only way you'll get it right.

The first time I went to the track I "fluked" my way to a 12.2 @ 114 MPH (stock '02 Z). I say "fluked" because all my launches resulted in 2.0X 60' times except two; one was a 1.97 and the other was a 1.93, and I have NO IDEA what I did differently to get the lower times... I just don't have enough seat time yet. The 1.93 60' resulted in the 12.2 run.

I do say, though, that this car is ridiculously easy to launch! It has to be for a first timer to cut consistant 2.0s... that's not my driving, that's definitely the car. While this was not my first time at the dragstrip (far from it), it was my first time running a rear wheel drive car, and the front-driver I raced previously ran low 15s.

All of my 2.0X 60' times resulted in ETs of 12.4 - 12.7 @ 113 - 114 MPH. According to my Camaro owning buddies, a 2.0 60' time is good, but I know this car can do much better even on the stock tires as some guys are posting 1.7s and running in the high 11.9s!

The night I ran 12.2 there was a guy with a stock '03 Z there who couldn't get out of the 14s! His buddy came up and asked me what I had done to the car...

Practice makes perfect... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Keep practicing your launches. Dumping the clutch & flooring it will not help you at all!
You need to slip the clutch & gradually get into the throttle, especially on street tires!
I'd forget powershifting until you have the entire run down pat. Only when the weather & track conditions are ideal should you powershift. It will only accelerate your tranny wear. Sometimes, it can HURT your times due to excessive wheel spin.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like you are overpowering the tires. I ran a [email protected] my first and only time to the track on F1's with 16K miles.

It is a delicate balance between a good run and a slower time with most newer drivers just going to hard in the pedal to early and lose traction. It depends alot on your tires also.

Just go back and practice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
first time at the track in a 01 z with blackwing and air bridge was [email protected] stock tires followed by a 12.314 @ 112.79 is this good for an almost 98 percent stock car on a hot day about 80 high humidity . especially an 01

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the support. I will keep practicing on this...

It will help me if you tell me what to expect:

1. How long (approximately) to slip the clutch before letting it all the way out.

2. How long approximately before going full throttle

3. How will the car react by launching @ 2500 on 26 psi F1's..... meaning if I slip the clutch right, how much should the RPM's drop (approx.)

I think my problem besides all of these is I feel like the car won't take off fast enough like this and I will get beat.

I wish there were others with Z's here in El Paso that were experienced in this. Most of the people around here basically floor it out of the hole.

There is one guy that has an 02' black Z06 w/ cat back, programmer, and now 110 shot of NOS and BFG drag radials.... anyway, he told me that the best I would probably ever get out of my car stock was 13.4's-13.5's.....

Of course I don't believe that, I just need to know how the car should react in the right driving situation.

If you guys have time, please give me some more advice on the questions above.

thanks again.
danny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chirodan said:
thanks for the support. I will keep practicing on this...

It will help me if you tell me what to expect:

1. How long (approximately) to slip the clutch before letting it all the way out.

2. How long approximately before going full throttle

3. How will the car react by launching @ 2500 on 26 psi F1's..... meaning if I slip the clutch right, how much should the RPM's drop (approx.)

I think my problem besides all of these is I feel like the car won't take off fast enough like this and I will get beat.
Well, I'm not an expert by any means, but I've made 60+ runs in my '03. [email protected] is my best. I'll share what works for me, but it's really all about getting a feel for your car.

2K rpm is a good place to start, and if you're having a hard time keeping your foot out of it and dumping the clutch on the launch, try working on just one of those things at a time. Try dumping the clutch without mashing the throttle.

Practice that with the engine off.

"Set" the throttle at about 2K rpm and go ahead and dump the clutch, but don't move your right foot. Hold it absolutely steady at the 2K rpm position. Practice that until you can do it every time.

When you've mastered that, then practice "squeezing" the throttle to the floor. It should take from a half to a full second to reach WOT after you dump the clutch. Count to yourself, but not quickly... one thousand and one -- and that's about how long it should take for your foot to go from the 2K rpm position to the floor. Depending, again, on the "feel" of the car. You have to feel the rear tires through the clutch and throttle pedal so it could take a little longer or shorter, depending on track conditions. You must become ONE with your Z06. :) But the idea is to "squeeze" the pedal to the floor.

As for slipping the clutch... that's even more subjective. Too much throttle and you smoke your clutch. Too much clutch and you smoke the tires. If you've mastered "squeezing" the throttle, then you could think about slipping the clutch as the opposite of that. But the two have to work together just right. Too much clutch = tire smoke. Too much throttle = clutch smoke. It's a very delicate balance. That's why it's important to practice squeezing the throttle.

I hope that helps. That's a place to start. Then work on your own technique from there. Practice, practice practice! When get really good at this, then you can try it with the engine running. :)

I hate it when I go on a Saturday or during an event and an 8 second car lines up next to me. I can't hear myself think. It was very intimidating the first few times. I hate getting my butt handed to me by anyone. :) But the point is, you have to drive your own race and not worry about the other guy, and especially if you just want to practice.

A lot of people don't realize your reaction time has nothing to do with your E.T. It counts if you're racing someone, but if you're just practicing and don't care who get's off the line first, reaction time doesn't matter as far as your E.T. is concerned. Your time doesn't start until your front tires break the third beam.

If it's a ricer you'll probably reel him in in pretty quick anyway, :rofl: so you can forget about cutting a perfect light and concentrate on your launch if you want to. Once you have the launch mastered, then you can worry about the lights.

I hate it when the other guy doesn't do a burnout and he's fully staged as I roll up to pre stage. It's hard for me to hit the brake, then move my foot to the gas and bring up the RPM's just where I want them, and many times by the time I look at the tree it's already on the way down. That usually throws off my launch and I'll punch it or dump the clutch. So I'm sure we all feel you're pain.

I've sat there for a full second or better after a green, adjusting my RPM just where I wanted it -- let the other guy go, giving myself an extra moment to think about exactly what I wanted to do. Then I launch at my own leisure and can concentrate on "feeling" the car. Yoda says: "with your Z06, you must become one." :) You'd be surprised how better your launch can be when things aren't happening at the blink of an eye, and with practice you'll get quicker at setting up, and you'll start to "feel" your car.

And don't worry about getting beat. You want to talk about being embarrassed? Try killing your engine during the burnout. :blush:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice uvettya.

I went to another track and after I got used to it, I was finding that I am still having the same problems and can't quite get the hang of it.

Best of 3 runs:

Reaction time: .998 :eek:
60 foot time: 2.267 :eyes:
1/4 E/T: 13.577
1/4 MPH: 106.38

Reaction time: .646
60 foot time: 2.338
1/4 E/T: 13.658
1/4 MPH: 106.39

Reaction time: .760
60 foot time: 2.305
1/4 E/T: 13.602
1/4 MPH: 107.23

so obviously I am still spinning the tires too much, yes? I am guessing the lower MPH would have something to do with slow shifts, or not enough oxygen in the air to speed up fast enough???

I had to put the psi down to 20 psi because once I got traction in first, I would always break loose in 2nd. I think the track was kind of crappy in regards to getting a good 60 foot. I had to combat wheel hop or just plain spinning on every run shifting to 2nd.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you get the launch right your tires shouldn't spin at all... any wheelspin will slow you down - even if it happens when you shift into 2nd. If you're spinning that much shifting into 2nd you'll have to back off when you shift.

I would totally back off on your launch until you're not spinning your tires at all and work up from there. I've had many 2.0X 60' times with wheelspin, just not very much. My best to date has been a 1.87, but that was a total fluke and was more of a clutch slip. Whatever it was I wish I could do it all the time! That was at Grand Bend (Ontario) on July 1st and resulted in a 12.2 @ only 112 MPH.

As far as your trap speeds go, try filling up with higher octane gas - if that improves your trap speeds then you've got some kind of detonation causing the knock sensors to pull timing out of the ECU.

Practice! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
z06_23_45,

yes that is where I usually go. This last sets of times, I went to Aroyo Secco, but it was way too far away for my liking. I want to try Thunder Alley sometime soon.

I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My times are slowly getting better!!!!

I was at the first track that I started this post about here in El Paso so there aren't any reaction times, 60 ft. times, or MPH. I am slowly getting the hang of the launching technique. I had to come all the way down to 2200 RPMs before getting better launches.

I know the car will still do better though. I just have to fine tune things a little bit more with the launch, then I will work on power shifting.

Not too bad for El Paso's heat & 3,9xx ft. ASL. Car is still stock.

My best two times were:

If everything played out perfectly, I don't know what the best I would be able to get out here is, but I think it has got to be close already. I was hoping to get down to 12.9, but with these weather conditions and elevation maybe a 13.1 or 13.2 is more realistic.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Chirodan, It just takes seat time. Someone in a earlier post said the word "feel". That is what you need to do. Don't pay any attention to the guy in the other lane or worry about getting beat. It doesn't matter. Pay attention to yourself and what you are doing. Try different things at the track. Pull around the water box and back into it to just wet the tires. Don't drop down into it just get them a little wet then pull forward. You don't want to have any water left on your tires when you get to the line. If you have problems with backing into the water have someone spot you. Do your burn out and pull up and pre-stage. Relax and go through you standard deal. Launch rpm, stage, feather clutch, squeeze throttle, run through the gears. You can do a lot of racing in your head. Just put together a plan at home and think it though in your head before you get to the track. It really just takes time and experience. I always ask the guys that are regulars at the track how they are running. Is the track hooking tonight, is your e.t. and mph about right tonight. Are you running fast or slow tonight compared to what you have run in the past. A lot has to do with track prep, temp and adjusted altitude.

Hope some of this helps. Just remember John Force had to, at some point in his live, learn how to drag race and so do you. No one is born with the knowledge. You have to learn it. Be objective with your progress and take your time. It will come to you. Just like riding a bike or tying your shoes.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Keep at it - and don't get discouraged. It takes a lot of passes to get the art of drag racing "perfected" ...

Your MPH in the heat is about right, learning to shift closer to the rev limiter, along with speed and/or power shifting, will improve your MPH.

Your E/T, as you have gathered, is getting killed in your 60. On stock tires I had a best 1.854 60', could regularlu do under 1.9. For every .10 improvement in 60' you decrease your E/T by .15. So if you can get below a 2.0 you are in the 12's - easily.

And forget about your reaction time - it has zero affect on your times, and until you get consistently in the 12's you are racing yourself for improvement - not the guy in the other lane.

As someone else said, read Ranger's post on launch techniques - it can and will help if you follow his advise.

Les

1 - 20 of 24 Posts