Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that my Z06 has had every COMMON problem known to Corvette-dom. The list:
  • Sticky brakes
  • Oil Consumption (1 qt every 1000 miles)
  • Today - Leaky rear end - dealer said it's very common and they've repaired many of them.
  • Rocking driver's seat
  • Poor fit and finish
  • Orange peel paint
In addition:
  • Rocker panels cracked during transport
  • Protective finish coming off of window molding around the door
  • Air brake ducts pitted and scratched
  • Very noisy clucth when idling
...and on and on.

This is really starting to get on my nerves. This is the 10th Vette I've owned and the 4th brand new C5. It seems that instead of quality getting better it's getting worse. I'm almost to the point of selling this car and getting out of Corvette ownership altogether.

I really was ok with this but the leaky rear end has set me off. I hate having to take the car to the dealership. On top of this they told me I couldn't have a loaner because the car is drivable. Well, maybe it is, but NOT IF IT'S IN THE SHOP!.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2001 Corvette Z06 SS

E-Mail: [email protected]
National Corvette Museum Member #4641
2001 Speeday White Z06 Corvette SS

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
SS- Sorry to hear of your problems. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I hope they repair it right the first time and hopefully your bad luck will end. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Keep us posted!

P.S. Don't give up on it yet /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
David - This I believe is the first time I can remember you venting about the car itself rather than the dealerships. First time regarding oil consumption. I am now over 5400 miles and still burning qt every 1200 to 1300 miles though I haven't checked the dipstick since my 5000 mile oil change. You know you must hang-on for the C6.

GOLD72

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
SS, you Vette is very good looking, but as we all know some of these Chevys have problems, the oil usage is unacceptable, I know many people that their rear leaked, is yours leaking from the seal? The seat rocking has been a problem on all the (5) Vette's I have owned, never on any other car or non Chevy SUV's (very interesting) I always take a person with me when I pick my car up to look it over, I maybe "blind with bliss" and not see some paint problems or other fit problems. I will not take the car if the peel is bad and if the car is lee that perfect, your paying a lot of money over what the FRC cost before the Z06 option can out, if it's not perfect it will be the dealers to keep.

·
Registered
603 Posts
SS,
This is surprising to me...
We've had Jacki's '99 C5 going on 3 years, and I do recognize some of your complaints.
However, I have 6300mi on the Z06 and I'm surprised @ the improvement in quality that it exhibits over the '99...
I'm sorry to hear about your problems:(, but don't give up the faith--hang in there!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What are the tell-tale signs of leaky rear end? Is oil obviously dripping thru the rear cover? I'll have to check.

Fortunately I havent had the oil consumption so far after 3400 miles but I have had:

Brake booster - replaced under TSB.
sagging rear fascia - ACI Reinforcement fix.

Definitely a few quality issues. Love the Z. But instances like spending $80 on reinforcements when GM should have taken care of it instead of living with it (which you can goto your local dealer lot and see you will almost never find a perfect rear fascia)makes me think if they are not willing to take care of the minor details as well as the major ones, I can't see myself buying anymore Vettes. At 32, they lost out big time.

On 2001-07-25 19:46, CorvetteSS spewed forth this drivel:
I believe that my Z06 has had every COMMON problem known to Corvette-dom. The list:
  • Sticky brakes
  • Oil Consumption (1 qt every 1000 miles)
  • Today - Leaky rear end - dealer said it's very common and they've repaired many of them.
  • Rocking driver's seat
  • Poor fit and finish
  • Orange peel paint
In addition:
  • Rocker panels cracked during transport
  • Protective finish coming off of window molding around the door
  • Air brake ducts pitted and scratched
  • Very noisy clucth when idling
...and on and on.

This is really starting to get on my nerves. This is the 10th Vette I've owned and the 4th brand new C5. It seems that instead of quality getting better it's getting worse. I'm almost to the point of selling this car and getting out of Corvette ownership altogether.

I really was ok with this but the leaky rear end has set me off. I hate having to take the car to the dealership. On top of this they told me I couldn't have a loaner because the car is drivable. Well, maybe it is, but NOT IF IT'S IN THE SHOP!.

Thanks for letting me vent.

</B>

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just don't understand why some cars have problems and some don't. You might think they were individually built and not mass produced on an assembly line. At 14,000 miles, my Z doesn't burn oil or have sticky brakes. I do think I have a leaky rear but it's really small, and I do have the gas gauge problem. And my column lock works fine. I don't understand the inconsistency of the problems.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I have to agree with SS. My '99 FRC was perfect. My Z06 rear air intakes after 3000 miles ...

Around the passenger window trim, extra goop This is fun to Zaino around ...

My rear-view mirror was placed on the windshield twice, leaving glue behind and it can't be adjusted, it's jammed up against the ceiling.

I'm not complaining, just noticing less quality. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
30 Posts
You think 1 Quart every 1000 miles is bad
how about 5.5 quarts in 2300 miles. I'm through with the dealership. I just called lawyer.

As far as I'm concerned GM can take this car and stick it up their A*S.

·
Registered
906 Posts
"...other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

·
Registered
309 Posts
SS,
Don't let the dealer give you the run around aboutt he rearend. I had mine in 4 times before those bastards would fix it right. First it was loose bolts, then loose bolts again (replaced them), then Loctite was not used.....finally, after much complaining I got the lazy bitches to order new seals. Get new seals the first time!!

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Your Z06 is average, that's ok. Go out and blow the doors off a coupe or vert. Average ain't so bad. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
SS -- If it's any consolation (and I imagine it won't really be), my '93 Cobra's seat rocks (just like my Z's), and my father's '00 Range Rover's driver's side mirror vibrates at speed like my Z's. Also, my '97 Wrangler has fuel gauge woes (there's a TSB on all of them). And then there was the time I heard a nasty noise coming from my Jeep's engine -- two of the four bolts holding the fan on had wiggled out, and the remaining two were so loose that the fan was scraping the shroud...

It's not just the Corvette. MANY manufacturers have issues with quality.

I guess that all I can say is "hang in there." Also, remember that "the grass is always greener..." (you know the rest of that).

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Lest we forget the 2001 Corvette won top honors in the J.D. Powers new car quality survey . . . these cars must be a bit more than "average".

·
Registered
295 Posts
Love my 20 day old 01' Z06 but......
After babying (varied speed till <500mi.) the beauty and resisting all urges to smoke'm, finally got to open here up only to add a little more than a quart of oil at 868mi. Very pronounced valvetrain racket. Does the LS6 have solid lifters? My baby has a miss! You can here a burble in the exhaust. The idea of taking my car back to the (small town) dealership and letting them open the motor makes me sick. The causes I have come up with in my head range from fouled plugs to mechanical. Has anyone had the same experience? I have a red rocket with a burp that is making me feel ill. I feel torched times two

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Torchedx2 - I've had mine just over a month (built 6/6/01) and I have the same loss of oil. What's bizarre to me is that I check it at 250 and 500 miles and it didn't use a drop. Checked it again at 800 and it's a quart low! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I figured it was safe to stretch it out a bit using a 5500 - 6000 self imposed limit after the break in period. Now I'm back to where I started.

I don't have the other problems you're having, just some orange peeling paint that makes me feel like I'm the official pace car for the Clearasil 500... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

If this car weren't so fun to drive, I'd be hacked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts