Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking for a safe, easy, effective way to clean the "pleatheresque" dash padding and door panels in the Z. With their textured surfaces, the black pieces are starting to take on a grayish look, and I don't like that.

Now, I don't want to make things look anymore plastic by making the interior SHINE -- but I would like it to look clean and black again (a satin look is ok).

Thoughts? Techniques? Thanks!

-Kirk

PS -- Please, no recommendations for Armor-All wipes or sprays. I refuse to use that crap on anything ever again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i like 303 products.[ they work great for my interior]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I've only used a damp rag to wipe of the dust every time I washed it, and 3 years later it is still brand new looking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use Vinylex it is part of the lexol brand. Just follow the instructions, I have had great results with this product and use it on all my cars.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
303 on the dash and doors, zaino on the seats. Cant go wrong. Smells great, looks awesome, and it protects to boot.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Pledge furniture polish.

Al

·
Registered
396 Posts
KMeloney said:
PS -- Please, no recommendations for Armor-All wipes or sprays. I refuse to use that crap on anything ever again.
Just asking, but what does everyone have against Armor-All?

I owned a '95 coupe that I put over 100,000 miles on, and used armor-all every weekend. Never had to replace any components and my father now owns the car and its interior pieces are still in perfect condition. This car also was NOT garaged for the first 80,000 miles.

I used armor-all on my '99 coupe for 48,000 miles before it got hit, with no problems.

I armor-all the interior of my current 2002 every weekend, and will continue to do so.

I also used to detail cars professionally, and always used armor-all, with NO problems.

I have always babied my cars and properly maintained and detailed them, and Armor-All has protected my corvette interiors perfectly for almost 200,000 miles.

What issues exactly are people having with Armor-All? And do those have have had problems apply it regularly, or do you go weeks on end without applying it and let your car's interior bake in the sun without protection?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Hey 303 guys -- What exactly is the name of the 303 product you're using? Is it simply "303"? Or is there a whole 303 product line? Also, is this something you have to dilute/mix with water, or is it used "straight"?

As for the Pledge comment, I am a HUGE believer in pledge on black plastic parts (all of my window stripping gets Pledge). I'm just wondering if I should really go that route on the dash/doors. Wouldn't that be a bit too oily/shiney?

will82 said:
What issues exactly are people having with Armor-All? And do those have have had problems apply it regularly, or do you go weeks on end without applying it and let your car's interior bake in the sun without protection?
I can't speak for everyone else, but I can tell you why I think Armor-All blows. I used it on my '93 Cobra's window trim, and it quickly looked like crap (the black turned a sickly, milky, gray color). From that experience, I decided to never use it on my '97 Jeep Wrangler fender flares. I've used only Pledge on them, and today they still look brand new (and BLACK). Check out ANY Jeep Wrangler on the road where the fender flares look like hell, and I GUARANTEE that the owner used Armor-All on the them.

Armor-All (or at least Armor-All along with the sun) wrecks the finish of plastics and rubber. Knowing that, I'd never risk it anywhere on the interior of my car. With other products out there that DON'T behave like Armor-All, why would I bother with Armor-All?!

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
some armor all products have bleach-like ingredients in them, and armor all tends to dry out whatever you put it on

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
KMeloney said:
Thanks for the replies!

Hey 303 guys -- What exactly is the name of the 303 product you're using? Is it simply "303"? Or is there a whole 303 product line? Also, is this something you have to dilute/mix with water, or is it used "straight"?

As for the Pledge comment, I am a HUGE believer in pledge on black plastic parts (all of my window stripping gets Pledge). I'm just wondering if I should really go that route on the dash/doors. Wouldn't that be a bit too oily/shiney?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can tell you why I think Armor-All blows. I used it on my '93 Cobra's window trim, and it quickly looked like crap (the black turned a sickly, milky, gray color). From that experience, I decided to never use it on my '97 Jeep Wrangler fender flares. I've used only Pledge on them, and today they still look brand new (and BLACK). Check out ANY Jeep Wrangler on the road where the fender flares look like hell, and I GUARANTEE that the owner used Armor-All on the them.

Armor-All (or at least Armor-All along with the sun) wrecks the finish of plastics and rubber. Knowing that, I'd never risk it anywhere on the interior of my car. With other products out there that DON'T behave like Armor-All, why would I bother with Armor-All?!

-Kirk
Hey Kirk, get the 303 Aerospace Protectant.......comes in a spray bottle (I found it at Ace Hardware in the wax/polish section). Don't spray it directly on the door panel or dash...spray it on a microfiber pad or cotton cloth and then wipe down the panel/dash. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and buff it with a clean cloth to take off the residue and shine.....brings it out rich back with no sheen......JUST HOW YOU WANT IT! Glad you're not using ArmorAll...wouldn't use it on an old tractor. :cheers:

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rpallas said:
Hey Kirk, get the 303 Aerospace Protectant.......comes in a spray bottle (I found it at Ace Hardware in the wax/polish section). Don't spray it directly on the door panel or dash...spray it on a microfiber pad or cotton cloth and then wipe down the panel/dash. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and buff it with a clean cloth to take off the residue and shine.....brings it out rich back with no sheen......JUST HOW YOU WANT IT! Glad you're not using ArmorAll...wouldn't use it on an old tractor. :cheers:

Bob :D
Thanks, Bob! Yep, sounds like the look I'm after! Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Zaino leather in a bottle. I use it on a regular basis. Haven't let mine get in a condition where it turns white/grayish. Seems like good stuff and mine looks better than new. Back to Black works very well on plastic parts, under hood, etc. Haven't tried it on the interior.

D.J.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Personally I use the A-303... it's fantastic. I wipe the interior down with a soapy damp rag (if really dirty), then follow up with a damp non-soapy rag, then dry. If you stop right there you'll have the super satin clean finish you want. I then add the A-303 for some UV protection and a little shine.

As mentioned above just spray it onto an applicator, then apply it to all the interior pieces, let it sit for a bit, then buff everything with a clean cloth to remove teh excess and clean it up.

It'll look brand spankin' new.

Oh yeah... A-303 is water based to if/when you get it on the glass etc it just wipes right off, no oily residue.

Another cool tip for keeping your interior nice... cary some swiffer dusting cloths in the glove box. They actually pick up all the dust and will take it out of all the little cracks, much better than just pushing it around with a cloth. I usually give the dash etc a quick wipe over everytime I get in the car.

·
Registered
709 Posts
KMeloney said:
No problem with it being oily. It's the same as if you use it on a polycoated wood table. As long as you wipe it off, it conditions the plastic and leaves it very non-greasy.

Al

·
Registered
76 Posts
the general recommends a damp cloth w/ a mild soap solution. that's all i do, and i use some sort of gm detailing cloth to dust it off.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OneQuickCoupe said:
Zaino leather in a bottle. I use it on a regular basis. Haven't let mine get in a condition where it turns white/grayish. Seems like good stuff and mine looks better than new. Back to Black works very well on plastic parts, under hood, etc. Haven't tried it on the interior.

D.J.
DJ -- I have the Zaino leather stuff, but I'm not a big fan of it (not on the seats, anyway). I AM a huge fan of Zaino [paint] polishes, but I don't prefer their leather stuff nor their tire shine. I've gone to Lexol on my seats.

That being said, I don't prefer the leather product because I wanted just a little more shine to my seats than the Zaino stuff provides. So, maybe the leather product would be perfect on the dash and doors. Hmmm...

Thanks,

-Kirk

PS -- 303 guys, do you use the 303 AS THE cleaning/protecting agent, or just as a "final step" AFTER clearing with a mild soap/water?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
A-303 protectant after cleaning.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
KMeloney said:
DJ -- I have the Zaino leather stuff, but I'm not a big fan of it (not on the seats, anyway). I AM a huge fan of Zaino [paint] polishes, but I don't prefer their leather stuff nor their tire shine. I've gone to Lexol on my seats.

That being said, I don't prefer the leather product because I wanted just a little more shine to my seats than the Zaino stuff provides. So, maybe the leather product would be perfect on the dash and doors. Hmmm...

Thanks,

-Kirk

PS -- 303 guys, do you use the 303 AS THE cleaning/protecting agent, or just as a "final step" AFTER clearing with a mild soap/water?
I guess that's why I like the stuff. It doesn't shine at all but leaves a nice even surface. I use it on the door panels and seats also. My car will be 5 in June and looks like new inside and out using Zaino products. I am looking into using Adam's polish to see how well it works. I may be a detail junkie? Keep's me off the streets.

D.J.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts