Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have this problem?? Radio lights, instrument lights "flickering" as such. The HVAC lights do not seem to be affected. I hate to take the car in to a dealer as I suspect they would have one helluva time finding anything wrong, and troubleshooting electrical probelms could be a real PITA. Just seems to be a minor short somewhere...they don't go out, just blink at me......annoying as hell. Any answers out there?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you mean a slight flicker, I think that is normal. I have 9,500 + miles on the car and I notice a slight flicker occasionally. I noticed it more when I installed the higher wattage HID lights. So far no problems. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
I would monitor the alternator output, with a multimeter, not the DIC. From what I can relate, usually, your alternator is causing this, sometimes, from cracked battery terminals, loose grounds, or the like.
I would have it checked.
Best to you, c4c5

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
No flickering dash on my 2002... now my 85 vette, that is another story.

That car flickers badly at idle. From everything I have read, most of them had bad voltage regulators from the factory. Usually a new an alternator fixes the problem.

Is your flickering problem only at idle? If so, I'd suspect the alternator.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My "flickering" problem is not just at idle. Also, since the HVAC light does not seem to be affected, I would think it is something other than the alternator as I suspect all lights would have this problem if the alt. were the culprit. I guess my concern is that all the lights will go out sometime. Also, it's aggravating at night...like I have a slight buzz or am at some disco place w/ the strobe lights (ouch, that dates me). Am going to check tonight when it is in the garage to see if I have any of this from the headlights. If so, it's time to visit the shop.
Thanks for the input troops.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Lighting Differences

Hi there again,
Please remember that this paricular lighting, in the HVAC head, is of a different design than the dash, or the radio.
This must be considered before proceeding with diagnosis.
The voltage surge will be more pronounced at the DIC or the radio, due to the voltage converter behind the dash, and within the radio.
Best toyou and your fix, c4c5

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C4C5--
Thanks for the info...now, can I get an appointment w/ you this week? Seems I'm only about 1,000 miles away...what an excuse for a drive!
My big fear is that out of 3 area dealers, I think only one sells any Vettes...and not many at that. I could see multiple trips and attempts at repair with no success. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it sure would give me a lot more comfort knowing the tech was knowledgable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts