Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 has developed an annoying buzz/rattle in the dash when traveling on semi-rough surfaces. I can press down on the right side of the dash in front of the instrument cluster and it goes away. I tried sliding a small amount of foam under the plastic there, but it really didn't do much for it.

Anybody else experience this problem? Anybody got any ideas on how to eliminate this annoyance? :mad:

And yes, I know it's a sports car... but I still don't like this rattle. :(

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
H Ithere,
Please confirm that the 2 screws that are located inside the bezel are tight.
If so, then you may have to install some squeak reduction tape in between the dash pad and the cluster bezel.
Please let us know if we can help further, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
No rattles or buzzes

Sorry to hear that. Mine is solid as a rock, not a rattle to be found.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: No rattles or buzzes

pmontelo said:
Sorry to hear that. Mine is solid as a rock, not a rattle to be found.
I think I'm the only one pmontelo. :(

Hey c4c5... the screws are tight. It's like the plastic is just not pressure fitted tightly enough on the right side of my dash panel. I can apply just the slightest amount of pressure on it with my fingertips and hold it down and the buzzing stops. I know where the noise is coming from... just can't figure out a way to stop it. :-?

Can you tell me more about the tape you are talking about? Is there really such a thing as 'squeak reduction tape' ? :)

I'll try it if you recommend it. Anything to get rid of that frickin noise. :mad:

Thanks for the help... :cheers:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Re: Re: No rattles or buzzes

AgentZ06 said:
Can you tell me more about the tape you are talking about? Is there really such a thing as 'squeak reduction tape' ? :)
There are about 1000 variations of squeak reduction tape to eliminate a plastic itch. All you probably need is some duct tape or something similar to put in between the two pieces that are rubbing. Alternately, you could try some thick double sided tape.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To update my dash rattle... turns out one of my screws was a little loose. Tightened it and problem solved.

No more buzzing... :D :cheers:

Thanks for the help guys... :cool:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Same story, different location, but times two.
I had a rattle that started when I hit the freeway outside the museum. Rattled all the way home and through two trips to the dealer. They finally fixed it. It was the trim piece below the radio, but above the HVAC controls.
The second one was where the A pillar hit the dash on the drivers side. They said they tightened screws and it was fine. It is much better, but not perfect.

Now, I think I have something coming loose in the back. I am hoping it is the box of fix a flat.

Also, my CD has stopped working. AHHHH!!! All these little problems!!!:mad:

Add to that two check engine lights and a low oil light (the dealer didn't fill it enough when they did the initial oil change) and I was a little upset. Needless to say the service director heard from me after it spent the first three Mondays of my ownership in for mild repairs - especially when it is things that should have been done on visit one.
Oops, this turned into a vent. My bad.

chris

·
Registered
98 Posts
AgentZ06 said:
To update my dash rattle... turns out one of my screws was a little loose. Tightened it and problem solved.

I have the same buzz. Where exactly are the screws you refer to? I can't see any. The bezel around the stereo is the culprit.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a totally different area...... :(

Mine resurfaces from time to time. Bugs the hell out of me...... :mad:

Chris

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
AgentZO6, there is such a thing as squeak reduction tape. 3M part number, 06356.
Usually, this is installed on friction points where 2 parts contact and make noise.
Very expensive, but worth it.
I would attempt to install this on the bezel side of the mating area, and see how you make out. My theory is that you have some missing felt on the bezel.
Allthebest, c4c5:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2003 rattles on grooved freeways. It looks like it is coming right around the passenger glove box. I have opened it, hit it, tried looking for lose parts. Sounds like I need to look for loose screws or have the dealer figure it out. It's not bad when you know what is causing it; annoying when you don't.:-?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
AgentZ06 said:

Hey Agent .. thanks for the tip. I've had the exact same rattle for quite a while and just haven't takeb the time to address it. I'll have to get out my screwdriver. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry Velders said:
Hey Agent .. thanks for the tip. I've had the exact same rattle for quite a while and just haven't takeb the time to address it. I'll have to get out my screwdriver. :cheers:
Hope it works for you..... :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts