Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few months I have experienced a couple of daytime incidents where another driver mistakes the daytime running lights on the Z for a right turn signal. In both cases (slow speed in town) there was a vehicle in front of me and the confused driver was on my right trying to pull out into traffic. I am guessing that not having full view of my front end contibuted to the confusion, but I am thinking that turning off the DRL's might be a good idea somemtimes. I have checked the threads on this site and there does not seem to be an ideal way to shut the DRL's off. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

Arch

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
No problems here. Of course you can never underestimate your opponent on the street. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't say i've had this problem but will keep an eye out for it.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I wouldn't blame it on the running lights. People will do that to you no matter what. Sadly enough that's just the way some people are. They think the roads exist solely for them and everyone else is just an inconvenience. Since I havent owned a car (only trucks) in almost 20 years till getting the Z, I've noticed a lot of people pulling out in front of me. It's become almost routine. They never do it if I'm driving my truck, probably for fear of getting up close and personal with my grill.:D

·
Registered
928 Posts
I noticed this since my first Vette in 91. Many will just pull right out in front of you. My thinking is like this: They recognize the car as a Corvette, they know the owner is generally more prone to protect his/her investment, therefore they assume the Vette driver will slow or stop more readily than the average driver, allowing the first driver to pull out without incident. Sometimes I think they do it just to watch us brake hard, or to get in front of us just to flick stones back. :mad: Probably the only way they could get in front. :lol: Some drivers just shouldn't be licensed.

Stan

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have noticed this....

..... twice while approaching an intersection in the left lane the opposing driver who was making a left turn, turned right in front of me once and almost hit my door the second time.

Both were driving "lifted" (although not excessive, maybe 2-4" over stock) pick ups and my left lane was bumpy. I am thinking that from their elevated view and the roughness of my left lane it may have looked like the left turn signal was on.

I have since pulled the Fuse.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I am sure it's not the DRLs that are causing the people to pull out in front you. Face it, there are just a lot of inconsiderate, no-brain drivers on the roads. Probably if you didn't have the DRLs on you would have more problems from people truly not seeing as well as the assholes that don't give a damn about the others on the roads. I would bet you could chalk much of it to the idiots that just have to talk on the cell phone, some of it to the parents messing with the brats in the car/suv, some of it to those who just don't care and think it is up to you to worry about them on the road and the remainder to the old incompetent drivers. In Florida we have yet another group along with the above mentioned and that is the &%$*&! tourists. They don't know where they are going, pre-occupied with going to the next touristo place and many times in a strage car.

I would say keep those DRLs on, they will more likely help you than cause you problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the comments. I agree that in general the DRLS are a safety feature. They really stand out on my black Z. Anyway, after five years as a volunteer fireman/EMT on a rescue truck near the Napa Valley I am only too familiar with bad (and usually drunk) tourist drivers. I love to drive the back roads around here well away from the wineries and the tourist crowds. What a great car!

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts