Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to my baby this morning to change plates (new plates: LAW BAIT /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif), only to discover the battery was dead (as a stone). This is pretty surprising, since I just drove it last Thursday. In spite of the crappy New York spring weather, I've managed to drive it once or twice a week since I picked it up last December 26'th. Well, OK, there were a couple of times I hadn't driven it for two or three weeks, but lately it's been more.

Anyway, it started and drove fine (last Thursday), but when I parked it, the interior courtesy lights seemed to stay on a long time. In fact I'd gone in the house and came back out maybe 5-10 minutes later, they were still on. Dumb a$$ me didn't give it a second thought.

Some interesting observations when I tried to charge it: I couldn't. I hooked up my Sears 6A charger, and the ammeter pulsed from zero to full-scale (8 amps) about once a second, the hood light flashed with the meter. I had to disconnect the battery from the car, only then did it charge normally. After maybe 45 to an hour minutes, the battery measured 13 volts (without the charger attached), so I hooked it back to the car. All seemed OK, except the instant I hooked it up, the alaram started sounding, how the hell do you shut that off.... Oh, yeah, key in the ignition.

After I'd reconnected it, it sat for maybe 5 minutes while I picked up tools. I then returned to go for a ride. Inside the car, in the area of the glovebox, I heard what almost sounded like a small motor or soleniod clicking. Almost sounded like arcing. Anyway, I tried starting the car, the battery was too low so I hooked the charager back up.

It's charging now. I'll write more once as the saga unfolds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Keep us posted, Scott. Ya never know when we are going to run into a problem like this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Hope ya get it figured out soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif How embaresing. After I got the car running I decided I'd better go for a long ride to charge the battery. I noticed the interior light by the hatchback was on. Then it dawned on me: I NEVER TURNED THE #$%% THING OFF LAST THURSDAY!

When I originally went out to the car, the battery measured just about 3 volts! Charging the battery, with a 6A charger took quite awhile. In all about 4 hours. I'd prematurely tried to start the car twice, which I'm sure didn't help. The last charge attempt was 1-1/2 hours. Lucky the car generally starts very easy, and its not too cold today (upper 30s).

Didn't I see somewhere on the training tape how the computer shuts down the lights after 20 minutes if you forget. I guess this doesn't apply to interior lights ?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Scott:

Don't feel bad, we all make meestakes! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
The best thing is that you found it, and posted your experience for us all to learn from it...takes a stand up guy to admit making embarrsing mistakes....your a stand up guy here! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts