Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where I am at guys. I have been in the aftermarket customizing business for 2 1/2 years now and I have about 18 years experience in cars. I have come up with an idea and I have been pitching it to local dealers with no enthusiasm on their part. This $6,000 option would be ordered through the dealer and I would set it up for them. This car would be a Z06 killer for less money, especially when you are looking at the dealer markups on the Z06, and it could be ordered on coupe and convertible. Other horsepower options will be available be this is to start.

Godsil Edition Standard Equipment;

415HP engine upgrade
Godsil Edition stickers and numbered plaque
Lowered rear suspension (level)
Hotchkis anti-sway cars
Interior paint/detail
Hal adjustable shocks
Engine paint/detail
Jounce bar
Fender Stripes

Optional;

Overhead stripe $600
Ripper shifter for 6-speed $350

There are some dealers on here aren't there? What do you think? What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Jason Godsil,

I really don't know on this one. Most people prefer to do there own or go with a Carrivaggio or ligentefelter type name. At the dealer level i feel there would be only regional special intrest ie: how would get your product to all states and dealers. Don't get me wrong iv'e watched you post and work and it's cool.
Anyhow best of luck with it, hope it fly's as compatition is good.........

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've seen your work and it looks extremely well executed BUT most, if not all, dealers will probably not want to deal with you due to one main reason...2 1/2 years of experience. They probably won't take a gamble on that and if they do, they woud probably like to have some sort of comfort in knowing that you will be able to produce if demand is high and if you will be able to meet ther deadlines.

Own businesses are tough, best of luck to you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

on order

Once it's HERE
  • Halltech TRIC/M.A.G. Titanium
  • Hurst Shifter
  • Valentine 1
  • 1 Pioneer Premier DEH-P930
  • 1 KICKER ZR1000 ZR Series Ampliier
  • 1 KICKER ZX460 Amplifier
  • 2 KICKER Resolution Component Systems
  • 2 KICKER Solo-Baric L7 12" Subwoofer
  • All for now.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hate to agree with everyone else... but they are really right. Caravaggio and John Lingenfelter can & do get the PRICE$$ because of Time In Business = TRACK RECORD It is just that simple. If you had 100 - 200+ examples of your work on the road, proven for several years (nothing falling off, catching fire, etc.), and lots of letters from these SATISFIED customers... you'd have a much easier road.

P.S.: I am a long time friend of Jim Fikse (FIKSE USA) and it took him a long time to get his wheels on REAL race cars as well as Porsches, Ferraris, and LOTS of Vettes... but he did it. HANG IN THERE! You'll get there. You're young.

HarleyB(Z)

'85 Low Glide/Springer -my vert
'01 Quicksilver/Black Z06 •SilverShark• Kirban/Hardbar®

Throttle Depressed. Driver Very Happy. Beware the "427 Z06"...It's coming!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys and I do understand where you are coming from. I am trying to go as far as I can and I hope one day you people tell the next guy about the big guys like Lingenfelter, Godsil, and Caravaggio. I have even offered to just put my prototype on display or consignment so there is nothing out of their pocket and they don't seem to be interested. Oh well I will have to go about it a different way then.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Stay aggresive. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That's all I can say. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GOOD LUCK. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
631 Posts
So,

Go for it.

One forum posting should not dissuade you, but encourage you to persevere. The advice is positive and constructive and gives you an opportunity to shine.

Continue and see if your work sells. The market will be your true test. It will respond by either buying the upgrade or not. The media will test it and give you feedback. Get ready to get into promoting your product.

Go for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing discourages me, once I create a goal I go for broke. I am just saying that if the dealers don't want to work with me fine, there loss, I will just find another way to promote and sell these cars. Thanks for all your replies though. I see what you are saying about the dealers but what do you think about the option and it's pricing?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think one problem is going to be the engine warranty as the dealer and GM won't want to touch one of your cars. Are you going to warranty it? What's to guarantee that you'll even be around long enough to fufill a warranty?

I'm not trying to be negative, just a question.

Also, a ripper for $350? As a consumer that would turn me off quickly as I know they can be had for half that price. That's a heck of a profit on the shifter even with labor for installing it (I do them for free).

I really think you'd have more success if you just did appearance packages and stayed out of the engine.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
619 Posts
CorvetteSS makes a good point....warranty and price on individual items.

What will be your policy? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

You should also touch base with your parts suppliers and check what their opinions are. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I will agree with you on the parts and since I have not done a 6-speed car yet I didn't know the exact price of the shifter. I looked somewhere and I seen them for $350 so like you said I was just going to throw in the labor since they had already paid for the car upgrades. I have been working also on the warranty problem and if I find that it does void the warranty then I will look at other outside warranty companies to see if they would cover it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What exacly are you doing to get the 415 HP? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I'm curious.....and interested. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts