Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't remember my previous posts I purchased an 01 Z with 3800 miles about a month ago. I found out two weeks later that it had been in an accident. The owner of the used car dealership agreed to repair the car until it was back in GM specifications and that I could choose where it was done at. When the local Chevy recommended body said the damage was far more than we had expected this owner said it was more than he wanted to pay for the repair and he would locate another car for me.

Apparently he changed his mind over the holidays. He now wants me to drop the car off tomorrow so he can take it to his local guy where he decided that it will be fixed. I smell a "fix it for as cheaply as possible" train of thought here. The place that saw the additional damage was not "my" guy. It was the shop the local Chevy dealership recommended. Looks like I have to take him to court now. This keeps getting better every week.....:cry:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Man, sorry to hear this...get a lawyer!!

Even better, give us this dealers name so our members will be sure to avoid him.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I agree with Frank....get a lawyer, number one priority

Sorry to hear about this! :( :(

Zip :z: :z:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Get a Good Lawyer. Much like buying a new car...you get what you pay for. Good luck. Baron

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You might also contact the state attorney general's office for some direction.

Pat :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Intricul

If I am not mistaken, selling you a vehicle with a LOT of prior damage, and you were not notified, is maybe a serious misdemeanor, or worse, depending on your state.....contact the BBB, and your local District Attorney's office.......
Who was this dealer.......I am smelling a smell that tells me IT was not a GM dealership????...correct??.
There is more to this story, me thinks.......spill it all pls........:roll:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check with local and state laws. You may have 30days to return the car etc.. also check to see if the title has been transferred yet. If it has not then go talk to your bank and stop payment and return the car. But do not let this guy screw you around. but I would act fast and smart. It may give you more options.

take it easy
BAD

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was from a classic used car dealership... "Butch's Used Car Supercenter". There are 2 of these in the Metro East area on the Illinois side of St. Louis.

I tried the local Chevy dealership first but was told they could not get a Z. They also would not let me test drive any Corvette including the used 99 FRC that was collecting dust out on the lot so I looked elswhere.

I'll start the paperwork with the lawyer tomorrow. Wish me luck....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Best of Luck working this out.

Best advice is to get a lawyer. Every State now have specific laws that help to protect the consumer when these things happen. The only problem is that you will have to pay upfront in time and lawyer fees to get a fair resolution...

Document everything that has happened so far including costs for any thing that is related to resolving this dispute (mileage, phone calls, time away from work, everything no matter how small). Keep a record of every conversation and put everything in writing to the dealership.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Worst part

They are IN the business............rarely, if ever will a TRAINED evaluator miss the type, & AMOUNT of damge that was evident on the rear of this vehicle............to pass it along, is incomprehensible:puke:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with LS6ZO6, there is some type of disclosure law when vehicles have been damaged in an accident, where buyers MUST be notified of this. I believe the penalty is much like truning the odometer back (Federal?) Also ask the court to have impartial survey of the damage completed by a court appointed person. I would also try the DMV in your state, they have more power than we think. States Attorney's office is usually willing to help on cases like this as well.
SCUM BAGS!!!!! Best of Luck :flaming:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the dealership knew of the damage beforehand they would have to disclose it but I have no way of proving that they knew. I don't even know if they even looked at the car before trying to resell it. I think they bought it from another wholesale dealer. I can't find a law stating liability if they didn't know.

He has already talked with this other dealer and probably figured that it would be too hard for him to work with this guy and decided to force the car back on me rather than find me another 01.

My attorney says the case will be based upon false representation of a "pristine" car and of the implied factory warranty which is partially void because of the previous accident. I was hoping for something a little more solid but it looks to be enough he says.

After all this he claims to still be trying to make me happy and that he will make it right...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Man what is wrong with people........I'd get a lawyer and have him contact the dealer personally...God luck!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
you don't find many dealers or people that still wan't to be your best friend AFTER the sale.:bs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts