Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I keep hearing that many members opt to pick up their cars completely un-preped. Is this really necessary? :-?

Every Vette I see on the showroom floor looks great, someone must be able to detail the car correctly to obtain these results.

How many of you guys have been happy with the dealer prep, and how many not? It seems to me that if the car is detailed, it would be easier to see any flaws. After the numerous paint complaints, and my new Blue soon to arrive, I want some advise. Thanks.....This Place ROCKS!!:cheers:

I LOVE MY Z:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Most dealer's have their lowest paid people wash the new cars, their towels or products are usually below avarage, that is why I do mine myself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
JZ ,Dealer preped my car. it looked A1.i had them leave all plastic on seats,floor,s.wheel etc. you must look close at the rubber trim around the glass. i had 1 small spot where the plastic was under trim,it came right off.Be carefull and it will come off easy.BTW,hcvone makes a very good point on prep at dealers!It is your choice. If i were you,I would go down to the dealer and look at how they prep cars,tell them no buffing!:puke: hey its your car,they should be kissing your a??:D :D :D :cheers:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
JZ .. I let the dealer do the prep on my car, but did ask them to do a simple hand wash, no buffing, and very light on the tire dressing. The car was absolutely beautiful, and I had no complaint about the prep at all. I think that if the dealer sells a lot of Corvettes, they're probably pretty good at getting them ready, and they will understand how we feel about our cars.

As noted above, I did find a few little corners of plastic sticking out in 2 or 3 spots (didn't notice until the first wash), but they were all very easy to remove.

I think your decision as to whether to let the dealer do the prep should be made based on your faith in the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw my car on the line in Bowling Green with no swirl marks. After I washed the car 3 times with Dawn it looked like some had cleaned the car with steel wool (not that bad but you get the point). So someone hit it with a buffer then put swirl remover on it to cover it up. This could of been done at the factory after it came off the line or at the dealer when it was being prep'd.
No swirls once again, after a few coats of Zaino. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hear that those museum people are about as anal as we are, so what do you guys think should be done when you do museum pickup.

I am leaning towards letting them take care of it. I don't know if I will have the time or even a place to do it before I drive home.

chris

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
chrisj said:
I hear that those museum people are about as anal as we are, so what do you guys think should be done when you do museum pickup.

I am leaning towards letting them take care of it. I don't know if I will have the time or even a place to do it before I drive home.

chris
chris - Mine was absolutely beautiful when I picked it up at the Museum. It might also be easier for the NCM to notice any paint flaws if you let them clean it first. Any flaws are fixed before you get the car. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I always let them prep my Vettes. Never had any problems.

As far as prepping at the Museum, they will do it right. Right Adam??

·
Registered
76 Posts
fcalmes,

I'm thinking that the cars are first worked on at Cave City, then driven back to BG for the final prep. Both of my NCM delivery cars had Swirls that showed them selves after being washed with Dawn.
If you stick with the wax they use at the NCM you'll never see any swirls. I must say they do an outstanding job cleaning up the cars at the NCM and they make sure its done right.
I found one very small spot of dirt in the paint when I got the Z06 home and put it up on the lift. No way anyone would of seen it without putting the car up in the air.
You'll have to ask Adam if they are worked on at Cave City Motor's.
I was told that the local BG dealer lost the NCM contract do to putting some big time swirls in a black C5 of a famous person.
Someone who does not work at the NCM told me this so I don't know for sure if its true.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I think there is more of a concern regarding "test drives" than the detail job while the car is under the care of a dealer. The PDI needs to be handled properly to be sure. You might try offering your salesman an outright bribe by suggesting you will award him a very generous tip if he "personally" makes sure your car is in the very best of hands before you arrive to pick it up. A 'C' note ought to be enough if he lives up to your expectation and the car is handled just right. ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was picked up at the airport and driven to the dealer...there sat my MY Z06...spotless....and the blackest tires you have ever seen. The paper work and I was on my way for the 300 mile trip back. Stopped at a rest area for a re-load of Coke and to relieve myself of the last 20 oz. bottle. Stepped back to admire the sled and noted something oily running off the rear view mirrors.....DAMN......oil......was a bit paranoid of the oil usage problem anyway so was about to panic. Popped the hood and found it spotless, oil full. Took another look and found this stuff down both sides of the car...yup, appears they used about 4 gallons of tire dressing. Washed the car the next a.m., and the next 2 a.m.'s. Used soap and Westleys and scrubbed the hell out of the tires. Sort of humorous now but not at the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
QKSLVR said:
JZ ,Dealer preped my car. it looked A1.i had them leave all plastic on seats,floor,s.wheel etc. you must look close at the rubber trim around the glass. i had 1 small spot where the plastic was under trim,it came right off.Be carefull and it will come off easy.BTW,hcvone makes a very good point on prep at dealers!It is your choice. If i were you,I would go down to the dealer and look at how they prep cars,tell them no buffing!:puke: hey its your car,they should be kissing your a??:D :D :D :cheers:
Agree totally, thats my plan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts