Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspect a Joy Ride took place

Votes: 2 18.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you take your car to a dealer for service, how far do they take your car for a road test? Did you even expect a road test to be done? At what distance do you smell "joy ride"? What was the response when you queried the dealer about the distance?

I'm sure some of us must have had these questions at one time or another. Please vote and share your experiences.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've never taken my Z06 to a dealer for service and never will unless I have a warranty issue. However my dealer did put 10 miles on my car after it was delivered to them. Was it just a very thorough road test or a joy ride, I'll never know, but I don't care anymore.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Possibilities

Hi there,
Although dealers all differ, and we are always just a franchise. We must always conduct ourselves as representatives of GM.
Personally, I always test drive with a customer, or with customers permission. I NEVER take a car out without it.
When I do, I usually obtain snapshots of vehicle data.
If it is suspension noises, or alignments, the customer drive with me, to pinpoint the noise or issue.
Honestly, if there was not an issue with the way the car runs, there is no reason for a drive cycle..
Just my thoughts on this, besttoall, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have had the car in the dealership three times in the first three weeks I had it.
First time it got 8.8 miles to check for a rattle. I did tell them that they needed a rough road, so that was ok.
Then it was like 28 miles. They explained it as driving in freeze frame mode and then to address the squeek again. Seemed excessive but almost reasonable. I discussed it with the Service Director.
Third time (after the call in to the Service Director - for a variety of things including their tech not being able to fill the oil level to full - low oil light came on two weeks after the change) and only the service manager drove it. It had 16 miles on it to address the same rattle in the dash. Then I drove it with him.
They cleaned up their act after the call, but the miles were almost too many. Still in the range of plausible, but pushing it. We discussed it.
The test will be to see how many miles they put on it when I take it in to get the busted CD fixed.

chris

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I do all of my own work unless there is a serious warranty issue. I'm sure this would annoy me...but could you blame them?:cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
chrisj said:
The test will be to see how many miles they put on it when I take it in to get the busted CD fixed.
chris
That's at least a 50 mile test drive! :eek2: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
I do all of my own work unless there is a serious warranty issue. I'm sure this would annoy me...but could you blame them?:cool: :cool:
And then i would seriously be upset if they did'nt...................

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wouldn't take my car to any dealer for something minor. I'd either live with it of fix it myself. For a more serious issue I would probably trade the car.

For instance my trans grinds a little going into second and sometimes third gear. I'd rather live with it than have some GM half-trained grease monkey take my car apart.
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts