Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Cheater, you and others may not like what I am going to say but if your car is raced on a track, autox or whatever you can not expect GM to cover the car under warranty, we have raced many cars over the years and once they are put on the track we were always on our own, the warranty was over. I am sure David Farmer has seen this before, he races his Z06. I would never take my car and run it at the local 1/4 mile drags because a GM person could be there taking pixs, that is why we rent the track when it's closed so there are no witnesses. I do not knopw what your problems are with your car, I was only speaking of your friend and racing. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
420 Posts
But what about something like a high performance driving school? Where do you draw the line? Especially when they tell you how to do it on the owner's tape.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
whoa, that sucks

all the promotional shit says "race the damn thing", they tell us about testing at full throttle for a few tanks of gas, and other crack

then tell us "we built you a race car, but you can only drive it like your grandma"

fuck that

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think GM needs to set guide lines on driving schools, is it road racing school or learning to drive the car to its limits in a safe manor, I have some Cobra customers that have beed turned down on warranty claims because their cars were seen in pixs racing on the track via the internet. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
765 Posts

On 2001-06-21 17:49, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
Cheater, you and others may not like what I am going to say but if your car is raced on a track, autox or whatever you can not expect GM to cover the car under warranty, we have raced many cars over the years and once they are put on the track we were always on our own, the warranty was over. I am sure David Farmer has seen this before, he races his Z06.
There is a HUGE difference between running SCCA Pro events with a highly modded RACE Z06 such as Dave Farmer's, and local autoxing with a daily driver.

I can't believe GM is trying to void the warranty on an autox'ed daily driver...there must be more to the story?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think there is a big difference driving your car hard and taking it to the track, when I was living in Switzerland and calling on Ferrari and Porsche factory teams both of these companies made race versions of the 911's and the 355's, there was no warranty on these cars and they cost you almost as much as the street versions did. I talked to Pratt and Miller the builders of the C5R about tranmissions and other parts used on the C5R, they were very helpful but they did tell me that the C5R could not use the stock type parts that the Z06 uses because they were not HD enough, I have a 427 block on it's way to me and I do not want to put that in my car and be ripping the trans out of the car every week. I do not think anyone here bought their Vette to drive like a grandmom, but if you race it at the track we are starting to find out that your warranty maybe no good. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Lets face it GM hears the word racing and they can get out of paying a warranty claim, it's GM's way out of paying. I am sure we all heard of many members on the other Forum drag racing their cars at the track, we all know that you can kill a clutch in a night, should GM pay for that clutch? Is the car built for that 2-3k clutch dumping time after time, I do not think so.

·
Registered
457 Posts
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif SAY IT AIN'T SO, MR. HILL /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

These cars were "targeted" to the EXTREME corvette owner........and now the GENERAL won't stand behind his PRODUCT /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
I side with the General on this one. Most car buyers don't race (abuse) their cars. Why should we pay for those that do?
Sorry, but if you race it you should pay to fix it. If you can't afford to pay you can't afford to race.

·
Registered
175 Posts
With respect to auto-crossing, I don't think its fair to expect GM to foot the bill for repairs needed because of racing. There is a legal doctrine called assumption of risk. Basically, what it means is if you are a football player and injured while being tackled, you are on your own. The guy that hit you isn't liable, neither is the stadium owner or the team. I see a coorelation here. When you are involved in high-risk activities, you assume the risk that something might go bad. Its pretty obvious that if you race a car like that, you know things might wear out prematurely. I don't think I have ever watched a race on TV where there wasn't a blown engine in one of the race cars. I'm with Carl and GM on this one. Driving a car hard on the street is another story though, IMHO. We all do that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
619 Posts
These cars were targeted to the EXTREME Corvette enthusiast but that does not mean that you must go on a race trck in order to prove its worthiness. If you decide to take this car on the track, you must be able to face the consequences that come with racng. All teams that are involved with auto racing, tend to use high performance parts in their machines, when I say high performance I don't always mean high horsepower but also high strenght and durability. In order to keep up with the high demands of racig, these engines must be torn down and rebuilt after every single run. Racing demands lot of finances, so if anybody wants to race, they should have a race car and a street car. GM clearly indicates in the manual that any form of racing will void the warranty. Anyways, in order to race these cars you must also modify it heavily with a roll cage, 5-point harnesses and a whole bunch of other safety equipment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I respect your feelings, but someday just exceding the speed limit could do the same. Remember the black box. Its only going to get worse. What they are saying is that a car raced on Sunday in a local parking lot autocress and breaks on Wedensday is still void. My car doesn't fall into that catagory but I feel their pain. Don't promoted as a racer if its not a racer. Cheater Gone

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bibsuit... must still have a baby bib on!
Z06Scott... doesn't GM wish there were 5000 Z-06 Sales like yours!
Come on... Even in their new 2002 release... the whole thing is about increasing performance, handling, accelleration... BUT we should only use to go to and from the Golf Course or Grocery Store! WHATEVER!!

Why is the General so quick to show that the new '02 Z-06 is a half a second quicker on the road course? The car should NEVER be there obviously!!! This is CRAP!! Look at Solo2... GM is finally Dominating Super Stock again after 8 long years!! You think the car shouldn't be able to handle 2nd gear in a parking lot??? ther is no excuse for a warranty claim denying an Auto-x related incident... especially in Stock Trim! Road Racing... is definitely another subject... but not Auto-X! Gimme a break!

Why should GM attempt to even make a 50th anniversary anything but a stripe kit, if they aren't going to stand behind what they put in it!

This is where Chevy really misses the boat! With our Viper, Dodge replaced Calipers, Rotors, Transmissions, ENGINES! The works! This was all in a part to gain costumer loyalty as well as learn how to build these items better for the following year!

Statements blaming Drivers! And calling it rare, in Spirited situations is a JOKE! GM is attempting to build an extreme sportscar... then they had better figure out how to complete the equation... and when you spend 50K on a Vette... they need to up the Quality (when necessary) and CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

I wish somehow the consumer had more power of Service Managers, and Manufacturers! Unfortunately sometimes the only alternative is to quit giving them your money!

PS hcvone... Clutch and Engine are completely different! I agree... clutches are a wear and tear item, therefore shouldn't be covered (unless extremely premature) But the motor? Any Drivetrain parts should be fine!

What... did GM during the Video shoot, have to re-tape when the motors were ceasing, or sucking oil? Did they edit out all the additonal oil addings? Say it ain't so!!!

My next Favorite place, www.SCCAForums.com

·
Registered
457 Posts
The issue is a warranty claim on two Z06 engines one with approx. 4000 miles the other at 3700 miles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
The Z06 is marketed as being targeted to "the hard core corvette driver" and as such is designed for that use. GM goes on to say that only about 20 percent of the buyers will be looking at the Z06. The standard customer will be happier with either the coupe or the convertible. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
The video tape that comes with the Z06 shows how to lower the car for use on the "track". It goes on to explain options in additional equipment such as a transmission cooler etc. which may be desirable for track usage. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Unless the engine has been "abused" it should be covered under warranty if the car is used in the envelope advertised, instuctional schools etc. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
The car is offered as ideally suited for auto-cross and track usage......again see the video tape.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The issue is a warranty claim on two Z06 engines one with approx. 4000 miles the other at 3700 miles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
The Z06 is marketed as being targeted to "the hard core corvette driver" and as such is designed for that use. GM goes on to say that only about 20 percent of the buyers will be looking at the Z06. The standard customer will be happier with either the coupe or the convertible. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
The video tape that comes with the Z06 shows how to lower the car for use on the "track". It goes on to explain options in additional equipment such as a transmission cooler etc. which may be desirable for track usage. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Unless the engine has been "abused" it should be covered under warranty if the car is used in the envelope advertised, instuctional schools etc. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
The car is offered as ideally suited for auto-cross and track usage......again see the video tape.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think most warranties have a "normal wear-and-tear clause" that allows claims to be rejectted on a case by case basis, if the driver is negligent, reckless, behind in maintenance, etc. but timing your car in the quarter mile is hardly racing.

At Moroso they call it "Testing & Tuning Night" Now I know one reason why.

I suppose testing your HP on a dyno is racing too.

And I have one more question, why did it take so F-ing long for this topic to come up on the Forum. I'd have loved to see it even a few days ago.

I'm PISSED NOW!

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is pretty bad when you show up to a dealer only to get a call that your warranty has essentially been PRE-VOIDED. Since they must have a list, it would have shown much more class for GM to call and warn these people or at least send them a letter. I can't even image the trama that was caused. I don't race or have any kill stories, but if I did, I sure wouldn't talk about it anymore. This takes alot of pleasure away from me and I resent being made to feel this way by GM.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess you could make a warranty of fitness for a particular purpose argument, that is GM knows the people they are selling the car to are racers based on what they say in the videos and ads about "race-readiness" and therefore the car should be able to withstand the abuse from a race. You could also argue that they are making an express warranty with their claims of "race-rediness," but where do you draw the line? In all fairness, they do disclaim your warranty for racing. If someone is a professional racecar driver, should GM have to pay for a new engine after each race? The problem is if GM wants to stay in business, they have draw the line somewhere. An engine replacement is probably approaching $10k including labor. That eats away almost all of the profit they have in the car. A few of those and they are paying you to drive the car. I guess they could pass that cost on to consumers and make it as expensive as the ZR-1 was, but you wouldn't like that very much either. Further, I personally find it highly unlikely and hard to believe that GM sends spies to the local tracks just so they can void your warranties and has net surfers who keep track of all our information. I find this very hard to believe. I think there may be more to the story than is being told here. Moreover, denial of a warranty based on racing is something that all manufacturers do and have always done because otherwise they would loose their shirt with high performance cars. GM is in business to make a profit. I run the hell out of my car on the street and haven't had one problem and that seems to apply to the majority of others here as well. If you use your car as intended you should be ok and if you're not ok GM will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

On 2001-06-21 22:59, Dave Schotz spewed forth this drivel:
Bibsuit... must still have a baby bib on!
Z06Scott... doesn't GM wish there were 5000 Z-06 Sales like yours!
Come on... Even in their new 2002 release... the whole thing is about increasing performance, handling, accelleration... BUT we should only use to go to and from the Golf Course or Grocery Store! WHATEVER!!

Why is the General so quick to show that the new '02 Z-06 is a half a second quicker on the road course? The car should NEVER be there obviously!!! This is CRAP!! Look at Solo2... GM is finally Dominating Super Stock again after 8 long years!! You think the car shouldn't be able to handle 2nd gear in a parking lot??? ther is no excuse for a warranty claim denying an Auto-x related incident... especially in Stock Trim! Road Racing... is definitely another subject... but not Auto-X! Gimme a break!

Why should GM attempt to even make a 50th anniversary anything but a stripe kit, if they aren't going to stand behind what they put in it!

This is where Chevy really misses the boat! With our Viper, Dodge replaced Calipers, Rotors, Transmissions, ENGINES! The works! This was all in a part to gain costumer loyalty as well as learn how to build these items better for the following year!

Statements blaming Drivers! And calling it rare, in Spirited situations is a JOKE! GM is attempting to build an extreme sportscar... then they had better figure out how to complete the equation... and when you spend 50K on a Vette... they need to up the Quality (when necessary) and CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

I wish somehow the consumer had more power of Service Managers, and Manufacturers! Unfortunately sometimes the only alternative is to quit giving them your money!

PS hcvone... Clutch and Engine are completely different! I agree... clutches are a wear and tear item, therefore shouldn't be covered (unless extremely premature) But the motor? Any Drivetrain parts should be fine!

What... did GM during the Video shoot, have to re-tape when the motors were ceasing, or sucking oil? Did they edit out all the additonal oil addings? Say it ain't so!!!

My next Favorite place, http://www.SCCAForums.com

Dave are you saying if your race your car on the track it should be covered by warranty? I do not think it should be, it of course should be and is covered for everything else. I think this is a warning for GM if they have any proof against you that your car was raced they will not cover your warranty, they do not know if you did it one time or everyday. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

1 - 20 of 33 Posts