Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the first flaws I saw on my new 02 Z was an obvioulsly mis-aligned hood. The gaps where very uneaven around the hood to fenders, and along the front facia. I also noticed that it did not sit very level with the other panels -- in other words, it was hosed pretty bad IMO. I looked at at least 6 other new C5s and all their hood alignments where much better than mine.

Well, after screwing around at least 3 separater times, I finally figured out all the different adjustments on the hood of these cars.

1) There are corner hieght bumpers at all four corners.
2) The main hinges on each side of the front of the hood control the forward/backward and left/right gaps.
3) There are slotted holes on one of the two bolts on each hinge bracket where the hinges attach to the hood. This controls the tilt of the hood with respect to the front facia.
4) The latches located on each side of the hood control the hiegth of the hood at that point. Corner bumpers are used to force the hood to some degree to sit level with all the adjacent panels.

Anyway, I have adjusted the hood to obtain near perfect alignment on all the panels, but when I do this, the corner of the hood next to the RH head light is WAY TOO LOW -- I'm talking ~1/4 inch or more! You can stand 20 feet away from the car and still see it. All the rest of the hood fits perfectly.

I looked down the front edge of the hood and can see a distinct difference in the contour of the hood in the RH corner area. I has a very noticable "dip" in that area of the hood. I've come to the conclusion that my hood is deformed! No amount of hood tweaking is going to make it align correctly. I did a similar eyegball test on the other new C5s hoods at the dealer, and they all look like they where molded evenly along the front edge.

The best I could do on mine is misalign the hood in some way to hide this gross misalignment to some degree. To me, this is unacceptable.

So, I'm going to stop by the dealer today and show them this. BTW, a week after I picked up the car, I mentioned the misaligned hood to the salesman, and he said that someone saw this on the car when it was in for PDI.

Since the hood actually has a shape deformation, I only see a new hood as the answer. Now, my question is can I get a new hood from GM that is already painted Electron Blue? I think one board member here (Jone?) has a major flaw in his rear trunk lid and GM was going to replace it with a painted panel. I would want the same for this problem.

The LAST thing I want is for a new hood to be painted by the body shop, and you know damn well that they would want to paint half the front end to "feather it in". Plus, I'm sure the texture of a body shop repaint will not match the rest of the factory paint on the adjacent panels -- I've been through that BS before. Damn it, between this and the tranny leak, I'm about ready to go for a GM buy back :flaming:.

I heard some guys got GM to buy back some 01s because of the ring/oil burning issues, so why couldn't I get GM to buy back this car if this is what's needed to fix the tranny leak

http://64.225.48.150/chspeedfreaks/c5_t56break01.html

and the fact that I don't want half the car repainted because of a deformed hood? This whole thing is turning uglier by the day, and its bumming me out to the point where I didn't even drive the damn thing for almost a week -- and it only has 450 miles on it!! When it showed up at the dealer with shipping damage, I knew I should have rejected the thing at that time :( . I have never been so frustrated with a new car since I had an 85 IROC, which was fubared from the get go too :mad:. That experience made me buy forgien up until now, and this experience may just push me back there again.

Sorry for the venting, but I just can't believe my luck with this crap. I'm sure others have had their fair share of problems too, but for once I'd like to get a new car that didn't have any major problems -- mostly ones that cost $50+K. BTW, there have been a few other minor problems with interior and exterior trim pieces, but I wont go into that :roll:.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The LAST thing I want is for a new hood to be painted by the body shop, and you know damn well that they would want to paint half the front end to "feather it in". Plus, I'm sure the texture of a body shop repaint will not match the rest of the factory paint on the adjacent panels
Actually, I would want a hood to come factory prepped so your body shop can match it. There's no reason they would have to paint anything else to blend it in. In fact, if it doesn't match , it would be because they can't duplicate the orange peel the factory puts on the things.

I'm in your camp though. My car has way too much orange peel and drinks enough oil I've considered replacing "Corvette" on the back with "Exxon Valdez". Very disappointing quality.

·
Registered
309 Posts
ZeeohSix,
I feel your frustration as i have numerous problems as well including a bad fuel level sensor, outside tem guage, chronic problems with a leaking rear diff and had the motor replaced at 15,000 miles. All of this required 11 trips to the dealer including a 2 week stay for the motor (which screwed my Zaino job).

With all of this I still love the car. When it's running awsome there is nothing like it IMHO. :D

Mark

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just Frustrated -- But Still Love the Car

Ya, I know it could be worse, but I was hoping for better :D.

Follow are a few shot of the warped hood.

Keep in mind that all edges of the hood are aligned really well, ant then look where the RH corner by the headlight end up at :roll:.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
ZeeOhSix

Just a thought:

Can you adjust the hood to where you like it then adjust headlight doors to bring it close enough ?????????

:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wouldn't mind hearing about your issues with the trim. I'm going to try and be very comprehensive inspecting my car at pickup, but knowing what to look for helps.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yep - you've got a legitimate complaint.

Brian - check for orange peel. It will have some, but not all Vettes are created equal.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Zoomin, I've already lost sleep from reading the orange peel threads :eek:

I've been looking at a lot of new car paint since reading them.. There's a lot of orange peel out there, but some great paint jobs too. A little orange peel isn't the end of the world (for me).

I plan on bringing my own lighting to do the pickup inspection (can't check black in poor light) and to also check the car on a lift. I figure a hand-held halogen will do it. And then I'll be driving it home in November Seattle rain :roll: More about *that* problem later..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
IMA Z06 said:
ZeeOhSix

Just a thought:

Can you adjust the hood to where you like it then adjust headlight doors to bring it close enough ?????????

:)
About the only thing I can do with this hood is adjust it in such a way that I make it slightly misaligned all over the place to help "spread out" the warped area of the hood. When I got the car, I noticed that the front center area of the hood sat too high above the facia, and that the hood also sat alittle high along the front ends of the fenders. Obviously, they adjusted it at the factory to "hide" the misformed hood. What pisses me off it that I've looked at least 10 other new C5s, and all their hoods look pretty decent.

The fact is that you can't "force" the hood to take on a new shape, but can only make it's existing shape lay on the car as dictated by how all the hinges and hiegth bumpers are adjusted.

I stopped by the dealer last night and showed it to their body shop. They agreed that it was deformed, but didn't have too much confidence that GM would approve anything until the regional service rep took a look at it. (what's new?) :roll:. I'm sure if I fight for a new painted hood from the factory, it will be a royal battle.

BrianK -- I noticed that the trim that covers the A-piller on the passenger side had a nice bow in it. The edge against the window was warped, and looked like crap. This is an easy fix with a new trim piece. The other trim problem was on the driver's side door. Its the trim piece the runs vertical on the very back edge of the window. At the top of this trim piece, its supposed to "lock into" the horizontal piece that runs along the top of the window. Mine was glued on crooked, and the tab was not locked in where it should have. The passenger side was perfect. Some may think that these are trivial items, but its just carelessness at the factory. They are banging them out too fast IMO. Just take a good long time to look everything over before you sign the bottom line. Of coures its likely you will find a small flaw or two, and it shouldn't keep you from buying the car since most of this stuff is easily fixed under warranty -- some others may not be, like a leaking tranny or a warped hood :D.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got hood problems also due to an alignment issue which caused a small hairline by alignment hole where pin lines up. I took the car to dealer and they don't want to do anything and are trying to blame it on the way hood was closed. This is BS they say they do not have any service notifications from factory so there is not a problem, just like they tried to say about the guys that have had the oil consumption problem. I know of several complaints that have been posted on this forum. I am trying to get a appointment with factory rep. If I have no luck I am going to contact GM. I had to do this once before to get results on anther GM product. :z: :z:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Call the GM Zone rep and tell him you understand that GM will ship out a factory painted hood for you because the car is so new.

Bowling green has been known to send out factory painted parts on very new cars. Get to the dealer quickly and have the car photographed and notarized now.

Do everything in writing.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update on My Hood Issue

maverick said:
I've got hood problems also due to an alignment issue which caused a small hairline by alignment hole where pin lines up. I took the car to dealer and they don't want to do anything and are trying to blame it on the way hood was closed.
Sorry Maverick, but I didn't quite get what you where describing.

Over the weekend, I had time to look closer at my hood mis-alignment problem. I discovered that the whole RH, top edge of the facia is loose. There is some type of rail that is glued (bonded) to the frame of the car, and the facia's top lip is cliped to it. This debonded rail is causing the RH side of the facia lip to sit up about 1/4 inch too far. The way I discovered this was pushing down on it in a quiet garage, and you could hear a faint "clunk" noise due to it being that loose. The LH side is secure, and shows no movement what so ever. It just so happens that my hood still does have a slightly lower dip near the RH front corner as compared to the LH side, but if the facia is secured as it should be, it will be alot better than now. A new hood maynot be in order after all (I doubt I could get a new painted one anyway without WW-III happening).

So, the "fix" means that the whole nose facia has to come off so they can get access to the debonded rail. I guess they ran out of "Vette glue" the Friday they assembled my Z :D. I guess the nose coming off is a good thing, since the retards at the railroad shipping station scraped the underside of the nose, so it's probably best that its removed for repair anyway.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Are you sure its the hood?....

I Hate to be really pessimistic but you might have other damage rather than the hood. Did this car fall off the trailer ? Was it damaged in shipping,? Did it fall off a Dealers Lift? and is this a faulty repair.

At the very least I would:

1. Have them Align the hood. if they can't then

2. They must get you a new hood, preferably prepainted from the Factory. if they can't align the new hood then

3. you know there is a problem with the car. It was damaged in build, transport or dealer prep. Demand a by back and a new vehicle. Threaten them with the states "lemon Law and a Lawyer.

BTW I was at a local chevy dealer when a Full size extended cab with the 1/4 rear doors pick up fell off the rack and scraped the front bumper It was left there for an oil change . They happened to have a new bumper there and quickly changed it along with the oil. Apparently they never told the guy. He picked up his truck and left. When I returned the next day for my vehicle he was back and screaming in the service managers office. Apparently he let his wife take it to the super market that evening and when she opened the small door in the back she couldn't get it closed. I went out and looked and there was a crease across the roof from door to door, none of the doors would shut and the passengers window was gone. Apparently they bent the frame and the stress was relieved in the cab when the back door was opened. He was furious they didn't tell him and he subsequently allowed his wife to drive an unsafe vehicle.

At a different dealer but the one where I bought my Z06 they slammed the hood on an empty Mobil 1 container at the first oil change. Put a small crack in the hood on the underside support. Did not damage the cowl. I had 2 options
1. new hood or

2. repair.

I elected repair but conditional that the crack not extend. They drill stopped the crack, then back filled it with "Vette Bond" between the support structure and the hood surface. It has held steady for 4 months now but I inspected it this weekend.

The crack is now extending so it looks like a new hood. Under warranty of course.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maverick, I've got hood problems also due to an alignment issue my case is that on the driver side the fiberglass is comming apart and is showing white fibergalss threads with all paint off the EB at the outer edge alignment hole.

I took it back and the body shop personnel told me the same thing that I do not know how to close a hood and I had to pay to fix it ( Ye with 312 miles on it I don't think so ) . I asked for his boss and showed him the damage and showed at 50 years old and owner of multiple corvettes and demostrated how I open and closed the hood. He agreed that it was not not my fault and I am taking it in next Monday for repair. I will film the car before they tooch it to protect myself and instruct no joy riding. If the repair is not completed to my satisfaction and the problem happens again that a new factory hood should be ordered.

I feel your pain and this is making me sick but I keep telling myself its not anything major and it is under the hood. I just want it fixed the first time and make sure they align the hood properly so it doesn't happen again.:puke:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Re: Are you sure its the hood?....

DJWorm said:
I Hate to be really pessimistic but you might have other damage rather than the hood. Did this car fall off the trailer ? Was it damaged in shipping,? Did it fall off a Dealers Lift? and is this a faulty repair.

At the very least I would:

1. Have them Align the hood. if they can't then

2. They must get you a new hood, preferably prepainted from the Factory. if they can't align the new hood then

3. you know there is a problem with the car. It was damaged in build, transport or dealer prep. Demand a by back and a new vehicle. Threaten them with the states "lemon Law and a Lawyer.
The car did receive a couple of slight scrapes to the paint under the nose, but IMO it doesn't look like enough to damage anything else besides just the paint. I don't know if you read the whole thread, but I aligned the hood myself (the body shop guys even said it was done well), but after aligning all the gaps and height it was way too low on the front RH corner. Then I discoverd that the structure that holds the top/rear edge of the facia down was loose. The hood does have somewhat of a small dip to it in this area also (slightly more than the LH side), but I think if the facia structure is reglued, the hood should align pretty close.

Now concerning your item #3 above. If I could get GM to buy this car back I would. It also has a tranny fluid leak, which is a MAJOR job to fix. As far as a buy back goes, I thought the law says that I must give GM a chance to fix the car first, and if they can't get it right, then I can do a buy back. If there is a way I could do it now, PLEASE let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts