Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you have had your dealer leave your Z in the plastic that they are shipped in. I am considering going that route.

How hard is the plastic to deal with? Is there adhesive underneath? Any special gotchas to washing it at the dealer after it is unwrapped (tools other than towels, etc)?

I'm thinking I will use regular liquid car wash soap (I will Dawn it at home, prior to Zaino).

Thanks!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Brian, I left it all on. The plastic just peels off, the main problem is they appear to put the stuff on BEFORE they put on the rubber molding?? So it is under it:( Other than that, it takes about an hour to get it all off:eek:

I skipped the Dawn on this Z and used the Zaino car wash followed by the Z6. When I got home I started the "real" process with Z1 & Z2. Car looks GREAT :D I now have 3 coats of Z2.......If you have no swirls, I would stick with the Z2 and forget the Z5 (IMHO) I have 2 bottles of Z5 and have only used about a 10th of one bottle (on my Blk 01). The Z2 can be used in the sun or shade and really looks good.......Glad your wait is almost over :cheers:

Look forward to meeting you real soon:D

:z: :z: :z: :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I guess that stuff had its purpose......

I'm still finding, and gently pulling little pieces of that white plastic here and there from under the moldings:mad:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Brian, I drove my car home from the dealer with the plastic all over it. It is easy to peel off, but I still see pieces around the windows and under the mirrors to pull off. Wonder how they get it so tight on there? Leave it in the plastic, is fun to peel off, kinda like your opening your new Z06 ?? :) Anyway you do it, you will enjoy your Z. :yeadog:

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
291 Posts
The glue under the mouldings on the doors, roof, etc. is a royal pain to get off.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
One grand bug and tar remover removes that sticky stuff around your windows with ease.:D

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Hold On Here Guys!!! I just saw this post and their are going to be some very unhappy customers that choose to remove this stuff on their own. We found out the hard way that if you pull this covering off dry it creates static electricy within the electronics of the car and can blow the comp. out. I highly suggest that you let the dealer remove the plastic anyway and then let you clean it up. I hope this saves someone from haveing a real shock when this happens.:eek:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info guys.. I'm going to try hard to get them to leave the plastic on. Though I will unwrap at the dealership for a close inspection.

I know one C5 owner who worked with this dealership and his delivery list never made it to the right people and was ignored. They did okay on the wash, but what can you do to Quickslilver? ;)

So I will call them the day before it comes in and just try and get them to not do *anything* to it. I'll also let them know that I will need to see it on a lift before I accept it.

The big news.. The car is in North Platt Nebraska and is scheduled to be in Washington on FRIDAY!

So this raises the big question of When on Friday and if I might be able to get it on Saturday.. My dealer says my car was preferenced to come off first.

More than likely, it will just be a very sleepless weekend, and I will have dreams of the sales manager (who proably gets no Z allocation) driving my car over the weekend :lol:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just as an FYI, the museum left all the interior plastic that was on the seats, etc in the trunk of my car so that I could have as much factory material as possible.

They of course took care of the exterior plastic and I have yet to see even a hint of it anywhere. I think they are more anal about the prep than many dealers, but still nice not to worry about it.

I will check tonight when i give it the first bath.

chris

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Rick Daniel said:
Hold On Here Guys!!! I just saw this post and their are going to be some very unhappy customers that choose to remove this stuff on their own. We found out the hard way that if you pull this covering off dry it creates static electricy within the electronics of the car and can blow the comp. out. I highly suggest that you let the dealer remove the plastic anyway and then let you clean it up. I hope this saves someone from haveing a real shock when this happens.:eek:
That's why I let the Dealer do it:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Hey Brian:

Good idea to check it on the lift. I'm sure you know about the potential rocker panel damage. This would also be a good time to install the CAGS defeat if its in your plan.

My antenna was so loose it would have fallen off had I not checked it so you might give that a twist as well.

If you ordered the optional front license plate bracket, make sure the two screws are in the bag. Mine had a hole in it and they were missing.

We all know that feeling of anticipation. Hang in there.

I just registered in the Locator section and I am the only Z within 500 miles? NOT.

Pat :guiness:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Rick Daniel said:
Hold On Here Guys!!! I just saw this post and their are going to be some very unhappy customers that choose to remove this stuff on their own. We found out the hard way that if you pull this covering off dry it creates static electricy within the electronics of the car and can blow the comp. out
Hummm .... thats seems pretty unlikely since electronic boxes should protect the components within (if GM has good electronic engineers:D ) from static electricity. I'm not saying its impossible, but highly remote IMO. If thats the case, then hose down the car before peeling off the plastic just to be safe.

Brian -- make sure you tell the dealer NO test driving what so ever, or purchase will be take place :D.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

Hummm .... thats seems pretty unlikely since electronic boxes should protect the components within (if GM has good electronic engineers:D ) from static electricity. I'm not saying its impossible, but highly remote IMO. If thats the case, then hose down the car before peeling off the plastic just to be safe.

Brian -- make sure you tell the dealer NO test driving what so ever, or purchase will be take place :D.
Your call on this one but I can tell you for a fact that it has happened to us. And hoseing it down before removing it is the ans. The car has to be test driven as part of the PDI (pre delv. inspection).:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting comments about the static. I'd hate to know that someone could drag their feet across carpet and then walk up and zap my computer to destruction ;)

Sure guys - rub it in. Like I'm not already worried about them ragging on my car before I get it! That's one of the reasons for leaving the plastic on, I think. They will be less likely to cruise around and act cool.

Rick, you see bunches of new Z's. How many miles should it have on it when it comes off the truck?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
They should have no more than 4 or 5 miles on them unless BG QCed the car and then it could have 20 to 25 miles on it.:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Rick.. Is there any documentation that confirms that a car went through QC?

I think I'll run a poll on the delivery mileage..

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Not that I am aware of. If the car has more than a few miles on it you can ask your dealer to call the Dealer Business Center and ask if it was QCed. Most of the cars I see come in with 2 to 3 miles on them. After the necessary test drive by the PDI tech it should have no more than 4 to 5 miles on it. The tech has to drive the car a mile or two to make sure all is well with it. If you are dealing with a dealer that gets a good many Vettes the techs see them all of the time and they are no big deal to them, meaning they will most likely not be out joy riding in your Z.:) In our case we have two locations they are about 10 miles apart. the cars come into one location and I work at the other. When I have a customers car come in I have to go to the other location and drive it back. They then have about 15 to 16 miles on them. This also gives me a chance to make sure all is well with your car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Z is in Pocatello, Idaho today. That's about 800 miles from Clinton Nebraska, yesterday's location. So they do seem to move a bit faster as they head out west.

Looks like it will be Long weekend..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts