Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed the shifter knob today and like most I had problems with the demon key. After the Vice-Grips slid off for the forth time there was nothing left to grab. I drilled a hole and taped it for a 10 -24 screw to try to pull it out with the Vice - Grips, again no luck. Then I had an idea , why not just make a puller for the demon key. I wanted to make it from the stuff I had in the garage , so this is what I came up with.

(1) 2 3/4 inch 10 - 24 screw with nut, it's what I had
(2) 15 mm socket
(3) fender washer
(4) small washer for screw

I had already Drill a hole dead center of the demon key and taped it for the 10 - 24 screw . Then I took the 15-mm socket and put it over the demon key drive end up . Next I run the nut all the way on to the 10-24 screw followed by the small washer then the fender washer. Next I put the screw with the nut and washers through the socket and thread it into the demon key until I was satisfied I had enough in the key . Then I simply run the nut down to the washers and kept turning with a wrench until the demon key popped out , it comes out easy

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice job with the tool.

Too much work for me... two screw drivers, and it pops right out every time.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
piker said:
Nice job with the tool.

Too much work for me... two screw drivers, and it pops right out every time.:cheers:
Some are in there worse than others. Two screwdrivers did not work for me. Nor did the vise grips. I had to drill mine out. If it pops out every time, why do so many people have problems? If that is the case then it would be called the "easy key" not the "demon key".

BTW, nice job with the tool. I wish I was that innovative.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Two screwdrivers, yes. Vice grips, no. 5 second job.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
exSSer said:
Two screwdrivers, yes. Vice grips, no. 5 second job.
Had to try the visegrips after the two screwdriver method broke both edges off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've used screwdrivers on 3 different cars, and had no problems on any of them. I have to say, the first time I tried to remove the key on my own car I used vise grips because I was afraid of messing up the shift knob. Needless to say I ended up using screwdrivers. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
MADN3SS said:
Had to try the visegrips after the two screwdriver method broke both edges off.

What you do is, lightly tap the screwdriver blade into the side of the key, and without even scoring the thing, that'll give enough purchase to pop that sucker right out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
piker said:
Nice job with the tool.

Same here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts