Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs in the old Z, along with TPIS low resistance plug wires. When I removed the stock plugs I found they were "Denso" plugs. (Made in Japan) :-? What the Hell is a "Denso"? I thought I'd find A/C Delco plugs, but no, "Denso"!:puke:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They had a change in 2001, from what i heard they should be better than the earlier plugs used by GM.. If you go to Chevy Dealer and purchase a set of plugs, this is what you will get.
Comes in a Delco Box of all things.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Its pretty nuts, but hey whatever. I put some NGKs in at 13 or 14k miles. They looked pretty good. But I had the NGKs so what the hell? I shoved em in.

I didn't notice any change (the factory plugs were pretty well gapped).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ricer Prugs?

Ernie King said:
They had a change in 2001, from what i heard they should be better than the earlier plugs used by GM.. If you go to Chevy Dealer and purchase a set of plugs, this is what you will get.
Comes in a Delco Box of all things.

Ernie
Ah so. Could be your prugs are Delcodensos or Nippondelcos? You are surprised I speak your ranguage? I was educated in your country...UCRA. Now we go for Sushi and hot sake!

Z06Y Lady, arcing over the nationality gap and remembering old movies. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Yes, as others have stated, they are now Nippodenso plugs. The previous manufacturer, just did not produce correct quality for GM, so they decided to go with Denso.
Just remember, that depending on you year, you may have different plugs. As I know that there are some standard coupe and convertible owners who lurk here.
With the changes of plugs, with a more or less projected tip, changed timing calibrations.
Since 97, I think that they have changed about 5-7 times. Z11409 will correct me if I am wrong here.
This is alot of the reasons that changing plugs will actually lose power, over the stock plugs.
Besttoyouall, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It is, in fact, Nippondenso.

I myself prefer a copper plug like an RS12YC. I have to check my records as I'm running an AC plug reccomended by Danny Kellermeyer that came up in a discussion I had with him some time back. I'll try to remember to follow up on this.

Coppers are very much less money and plugs are easy enough to change in the Corvette.

Make sure you apply some anti-seeze compound to the threads in case you'd like to change plugs rather than heads in the future... Aluminum can be a fussy material when against an different metal or alloy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts