Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been quite some time since I was active on this Forum. I'm still driving (flogging) my 02 Z, though I'm thinking of options...

The car is at 110K miles. It still runs really great. In spite of the fact that it's been running a Vortech since it had about 20K miles on it. And I beat on it all the time. It uses very little oil and still gets 30 MPG highway.

In the last few months, I've replaced all the rolling stock on the front of the motor (I had an idler pulley that was just hanging on the post, no bearing hub left, and since I had to take the damn blower off the front of the motor to get at it, I did them all, including the tensioner). I also did plugs and wires, rear O2 sensors, and front swaybar links. Then (finally) the f*cking Spec 2/3 Hybrid clutch started to slip and I had an excuse to replace it (that Clutch was one of the worst decisions I ever made, I hated it since day 1 but couldn't see ripping it out just because it was noisy and chattered some). So, I replaced the Fidenza Al flywheel, Spec Kevlar/Ceramic clutch disk (there was no Kevlar left, and very little ceramic) and Spec cross-drilled PP with a stock C6 flywheel/clutch/PP pack. Now, I don't have to listen to the damn thing squeal during release, like fingernails on a blackboard, whenever it's cold. It also got rid of a lot of the driveline noise I had though was gear rattle, too.

So I'm mostly happy. Except. It's quite "darty" on uneven surfaces. Some of that is the oversized rubber (285/30-18 front and 315/30-18 rear). But it definitely needs bushings, shocks, and I suspect (based on some clunking sounds I'm hearing when I go in to a corner hard), ball joints too.

I'm wondering if I should continue to spend money on the car or retire it for something newer.

I like the looks of the new C7 quite a bit, but am waiting to see one in real life (the Callaway "shooting break" aftermarket body looks interesting too). But I'm getting to the point in life when climbing in and out of a Corvette is more work than I'd like it to be. The Caddy CTS-V prices out conveniently about the same as a optioned-out LT3 C7. And every review I've read of the Caddy has been very positive on both performance and comfort...

But I've been driving Corvettes for the last 16 years or so. I'm all conflicted.

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Welcome back.

Keep the Z and get the Caddy! You'll never get out of the Z what you have recently put into it and you can still from time to time enjoy it when you feel the need.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Every guy who gets into that CTSV gets out for similar reasons. It doesn't compare to their old vette and the gas mileage is terrible. Also heavy. I read of one guy who didn't care about the cost of the fuel but just hated stopping to get gas so much. I mention this because you mentioned 30 MPG on you ride. Many guys are in the teens for MPG. I drove one and was unimpressed. If your ride is tired or your tired of it, try on a newer C6Z. Prices are pretty good right now and it is a more refined car. The wait for a reasonable priced C7 will be a while.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I knew he would chime in w/ his yellow calipers!!! Mind you it's his secondary car he still owns a C6Z!!! So my opinion was if you were replacing the Z! If I were adding another car I would consider a CTSV or an XTS. The new XTS w/ a twin turbo 3.6 looks damn cool!! I'm sure they don't drink as much gas as those heavy CTSV's!!!!

If I had Tom's money I would burn mine!!!

·
9,755 Posts
Hey! Where ya been 'Sled?
If you sell your Z you will miss it (except getting in & out). The CTSV wagon is pretty cool but, like Jim said, it is pretty heavy and you can feel the bulk when driving spiritedly.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What is the age where you are too old to climb in and out of a vette ?
I need to have some warning !!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I have a friend that keeps alternating between vehicle types. He loves sports cars, but thinks "sporty" cars will suffice. I find it funny since I have watched him do this over and over for 25 years.

My solution was easy. I bought a truck and use the Z06 as a toy. Having two cars that are similar isn't beneficial to me.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Welcome back RocketSled :yeadog:

Getting in is the easy part, getting out is another story.
Getting out is easy for me...In the comfort of my garage, I just roll out of the car onto the ground....:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have a clean 08, low miles (13k) I'm looking to part with.
Wanna trade :D

OP...wait for the new Zo6 and make your move

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
you should wait til there is a c7z06, the coupe is not "metal"
zteve06

1 - 20 of 31 Posts