Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I heard a rumor about Dex-Cool and that it causes corrosion on aluminum parts such as intake manifolds and the like. I also heard that GM knows of this issue and is not issuing a recall because of the potential cost of the recall.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is there any truth to the matter?

Thanks in advance

Jim

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
JMO..Use dex cool exactly as they recommend. Don't contaminate it. Mix with distilled water 50/50 .

Don't let the levels of antifreeze go low etc..and it will work great.

JMO

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
No prob with the Dexcool at all as long as you maintain it properly like all other fluids in your car. Have used it for over 10 years in my Vettes, and never had a prob.

Jack

·
Registered
372 Posts
Might want to do more homework.

20/20 even ran a segment on this stuff. The early version would turn to jello and goo clogging up the radiators, block passages,etc. Call a local radiator shop for the inside scoop. I never heard any issues on corroding the alum, just clogging.

The key is properly maintained. But the owners were told it was good for 5 years. That was not the case in many instances. The formula has been revised from what I hear. I would not be afraid of it now, but if I had a 98 - 2001 LSx motor I would be flushing it now. You can replace it with the Prestone version, GM version or the new Prestone that says it mixes with all colors. The new prestone works fine, but it is green and when you mix it with red dex-cool it makes it look kinda brown.

·
Registered
387 Posts
NavyPhrog said:
Has anyone else heard of this? Is there any truth to the matter?
Yes, there is is a class-action suit that is currently pending against GM.

There have been thousands of complaints against it, from (I think) eight different states. I seriously doubt there is a conspiracy. If this was infact due to poor maintenance (low level, never changed, improper mix, etc...) where then are the thousands of allegations and class action suits against the green stuff?? (which BTW is used in just as many, if not more, cars than dex-cool) Is the average dex-cool consumer just more lazy and doesnt pay attention to car maintenance??? I doubt it.

Bottomline, people will believe what they want, and do what they want regardless of risk, reason, or $$...(i.e. buying bottled water, smoking cigarettes, taking their car to a dealership to get an oil change or new brake pads, paying via personal check everywhere you go, single/no kids/no boat/no constructive purpose - driving a full size SUV to work everyday, living w/ relatives and/or in an apt. an owning a 50k+ automobile, driving w/o insurance, driving 40mph in the fast lane of a 45mph zone with no cars in front of you, etc..)

I have spoken to 3 regular mechanics (non-bias), all of which have told me not to use it or if I have to use it then change it regularly.

Do the research, and make your own conclusion.

Like someone mentioned, there is an ALL coolant friendly antifreeze that has been recently released by prestone, which may be something to consider.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! My Z is an 01 and I have had no issues whatsoever with the temps and coolant. Of course when I had the re-ring done in 03 they flushed the system and refilled it as required so I think I am ok with post-01 dex-cool in there.
I will most likely flush it and refill with a 50/50 dex-cool/distilled water mix prior to putting it in storage for my next deployment.

Thanks again! The info here is amazing!
Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Z06Machine said:
Might want to do more homework.

20/20 even ran a segment on this stuff. The early version would turn to jello and goo clogging up the radiators, block passages,etc. Call a local radiator shop for the inside scoop. I never heard any issues on corroding the alum, just clogging.

you might want to get a better source than 20/20. I've been personally involved with 2 stories that ended up on that show and they a good combination of inacurate and exagerated information, with a few flat out lies mixed in. I guess it made for good ratings, but i'm still :mah: at that show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts