Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here used Dexcool in their Z06? Trying to keep temps down during track days...THX!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't think using a different brand of coolant is going to make any difference in engine temps. You need to either install a bigger more efficient radiator, or bigger more powerful fans for the radiator.
My tuner changed when my fans come on, and what speed they run when they do come on. I don't track my car, however when the temps here exceed 90* my car usually runs in the low 190's. When sitting in traffic on really hot days I might hit 203*-205*.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody here used Dexcool in their Z06? Trying to keep temps down during track days...THX!
A 20/80% or 30/70% Coolant-Antifreeze/water will provide more cooling than a 50/50 mix. But if you need to significantly more cooling a larger aluminum radiator, like one from DeWitt's would be the way to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Man, You should Put 50% Dexcool (Orange Color for ex. 2005-2006-2007... Z06) + 50% Pure Water and fill it to the Half of the Reservoir till the Max. Mark Level on Cold and exactly fill it to the mark. Just Mix them inside a gallon perfectly before you add them to the reservoir.

Check Up:
Check the Cap to be completely closed and no leaks at all through all your coolant system. Check Also thermostat is well and Water Pump is original stock which fit Z06 and perfectly is working with all the other issues like the serpentine belt and more. No need for aluminum edges Radiator, as for the stock it works well for racing the car if you set everything well but if you need to upgrade and put a 160 °F thermostat you can also do it to keep the car very cool. In fact, Bowling Green makes the reservoir edges from plastic OEM to be on the safe side for many other engine compartment safety, for explosion temperature problems. So when Making all the radiator aluminum maybe there will be some other things in engine at risk and maybe not if you done it well with each other for exceeding the higher level of horsepower and torque.
Always check the fan and connectors. so you can put an aluminum bigger radiator, to keep it more cool it doesn't matter.

This part is very important for Racing the car and for extreme hot traffics:
Besides, you should adjust the fan % by a tuner for example the first 192 °F keep it 0% to make the temp not go beneath the stock OEM (186 °F) thermostat while the fan cool the system, the second one 196 °F fan settings put it 30%, 50% or 60% (or sometimes you keep it also 0 and the third you make it upper more, it depends on weather condition, summer and Hard Race), and you go upper for the third, forth, fifth... settings till 90% or 89.9% and not more to make the stock fan running well and not turn off in some stage or burn the connector of the fan. It depends on which tuner you are using Diablosport, HP or other. For a Hard Race just keep the Fan so High beginning from your thermostat working temperature and not exceeding 90% all the others.

Driving the car:
Those Z06 cars are made for race and always work in hot conditions, you should not exceed 1 hour of racing or 1 and half hour of extreme traffic. You should always let the car take a rest to keep everything in equilibrium. Furthermore when you drive the car after installing and doing all the above, the first drive you see some fluctuating temperatures or checking coolant system on the dash appear because some air bubbles could entered the system so keep it as it is and drive it well and not too fast just the first some days then everything will take its place, the air exits the system alone after some drive if there is a little but if there is too much air in the system just stop aside let it cool and open the cap to let them go out and keep an eye on the level of coolant so when it will be on the mark just close it well and the car become so well to drive. So let the car take its time for a good equilibrium. Those cars are made to cure themselves alone after many cycle good conditions drivability. Don't touch anything else.

The Perfect Temperatures:
Your Z06 or any other corvette should always be at 198 °F (92°C) in normal driving condition and in traffic or race between 188 °F - 205 °F sometimes it goes up a little to 212 when you turn the car off and then on many times OR IF YOU DRIVE TOO FAST OR CLIMB A GIANT MOUNTAIN IT EXCEED THE 208 °F . BUT IT SHOULD NOT. So when the temp is too high just let the car sit and rest.
Don't let the car exceed 212 °F , because at this stage the coolant will evaporate at 221 or above, so your car is too hot and at risk. So there is a mistaken done or some other issues. Sometimes bad fuel, ignition, spark plags, oil transmission level, filters, oil engine level & quality, derbis in coolant system....could lead to malfunction in coolant temperature.

JUST KEEP IT ALWAYS COOL AND 198 °F (92°C).

·
Registered
LS7 based custom block and heads, all engineering and tuning by myself. N/A 93 oct pump gas. 720 HP
10 Posts
Keeping cool on the track when 90* out is a lot of work. Water cools better than AF so use 1qt AF total with water wetter. Any AF with rust inhibitor for Al engines will do. Next, all the above advice is good, big radiator, racing water pump (not electric), tstat, etc. Try running your heater while tracking. With windows down should not notice it. I added a huge oil cooler and auxilary water radiator. Work on air flowing under the hood. Open the side vents and get rid of the WW container. More HP = more heat but I'm at 720 HP n/a and run 174* when it's 90* out. Don't even need to cool down after a session.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please share the temp & brand thermostat you use. I tested about a half dozen different brand "180*" thermostats and found they don't begin to open until about 192*.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,870 Posts
The coolest coolant temp the fan control table is 192 F deg
So even if you put a lower Tstat in the coolant fan would stay closed till that 192 deg
Also, as you see even at 192 deg the stock calibration is still commanding zero percent rotation of fan
and does not command only 14.9% rotation at 104 C deg

As mentioned, you want to tune this table and start cranking up fan rotation at 192 and increase the percentage across the board for race or hot weather purpose since the 427 CI tends to put more heat into the coolant

If wanting to get the Tstat to open sooner (if yours has tstat mounted to a tstat housing) you could shim it and it
will then open sooner depending on how thick of shim used.

Please share the temp & brand thermostat you use. I tested about a half dozen different brand "180*" thermostats and found they don't begin to open until about 192*.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I kinda agree. But, EFI Live has a Fan Patch that lowers the minimum fan turn on temp to 169*F. With that Operating System patch and a 174* thremostat I got my coolant temps into the range of 169* in the winter and summer to 185* on the street. But winter temps are a bit cooler than I want. By the way, that is with the stock radiator. I never got the car to the track because it was totaled by a 16yo driver with a total of 3 months driving under their belt. She was too busy to notice she had a stop sign and I did not. So I'm trying to build a second Z06 like the first. I do not remember the name of the good thremostat I found after testing about a half dozen. So the question still stands, does anyone know of a good 180* thermostat?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts