Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently swapped out the OEM battery with an Optima RedTop, group 75/35, which BTW fit perfectly! Only way to go. Thanks to others here that gave good reviews on using the Optima battery.

Anyway, when I did the battery swap the key was still in the ignition, BUT in the OFF position. When this is done, the column lock does not engage.

After the battery swap was complete, I turned on the ignition but didn't start the engine. I got the "PULL KEY - WAIT 10 SEC" message on the DIC, so turned the ignition back off and pulled the key. I could hear the column lock engage at that time. I put the key back in and turned the ignition on without starting, and could hear the column lock dis-engage ...and no message this time, so fired up the engine. All seemed AOK.

I guess I want to know why swapping the battery would cause this message to occur. If you disconnect the battery when the key is in the ignition (but off), does the column lock engage when the battery power is removed? I know when I was connecting the negative terminal on the Optima I could hear a few relays clicking on/off as I was first connecting the cable. It's hard to just connect it without a few power interuptions as you get the cable bolt started and snugged up. Wonder if a few quick power on/off cycles freaked out the system?

Anyone have some good insight on this?
:cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IMO you are good to go. I was always taught that the negative cable (ground) comes off first and goes on last.You should also have to reprogram your Key Fobs along with your Radio and DIC. :z:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IT L GO said:
IMO you are good to go. I was always taught that the negative cable (ground) comes off first and goes on last. You should also have to reprogram your Key Fobs along with your Radio and DIC. :z:
Yes, I did the negative cable first on removal and last on installation. Interesting though, I did NOT have to reprogram the radio stations or key fobs. Battery was probably out about 1 hour. I was surprised about that.

I did notice I lost my AVG MPG and RANGE data on the DIC ... but that's all.

Anyway, I was trying to see if anyone could give me a good explanation on why I got the "PULL KEY - WAIT 10 SEC" message by just changing out the battery with the key in the ignition and ignition off. :crazy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently swapped out the OEM battery with an Optima RedTop, group 75/35, which BTW fit perfectly! Only way to go. Thanks to others here that gave good reviews on using the Optima battery.

Anyway, when I did the battery swap the key was still in the ignition, BUT in the OFF position. When this is done, the column lock does not engage.

After the battery swap was complete, I turned on the ignition but didn't start the engine. I got the "PULL KEY - WAIT 10 SEC" message on the DIC, so turned the ignition back off and pulled the key. I could hear the column lock engage at that time. I put the key back in and turned the ignition on without starting, and could hear the column lock dis-engage ...and no message this time, so fired up the engine. All seemed AOK.

I guess I want to know why swapping the battery would cause this message to occur. If you disconnect the battery when the key is in the ignition (but off), does the column lock engage when the battery power is removed? I know when I was connecting the negative terminal on the Optima I could hear a few relays clicking on/off as I was first connecting the cable. It's hard to just connect it without a few power interuptions as you get the cable bolt started and snugged up. Wonder if a few quick power on/off cycles freaked out the system?

Anyone have some good insight on this?
:cheers:
Hi. In my experience that message is fricking random and a pita. I usually take it to mean the system saw low voltage at the wrong time and its best to comply. I installed a column lock defeat a few years ago when I was getting the column lock message on the DIC. But I think that message is also more related to a dying battery than anything.

My C5 Z06 kills the battery in 2 or 3 years. I gave up spending money on a good one and just get the one off the shelf at autozone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts