Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the rumor is true and they did indeed cheap out and build asymmetrical rotors and then put the same part # on both sides of the car.

Left side of car:
http://palmeter.com/Z06c.jpg

Right side of car:
http://palmeter.com/Z06d.jpg

Notice the holes are in a clockwise pattern on both sides of the car... if this makes it to production, I just hope they're not spiral vented because that'd be real screwed up IMHO... I'd just love to go to a track event and toast the brakes on ONE side of the car..... heh.

Andi

·
Registered
412 Posts
No doubt, the one side will overheat at the track.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Andi said:
It looks like the rumor is true and they did indeed cheap out and build asymmetrical rotors and then put the same part # on both sides of the car.

Left side of car:
http://palmeter.com/Z06c.jpg

Right side of car:
http://palmeter.com/Z06d.jpg

Notice the holes are in a clockwise pattern on both sides of the car... if this makes it to production, I just hope they're not spiral vented because that'd be real screwed up IMHO... I'd just love to go to a track event and toast the brakes on ONE side of the car..... heh.

Andi
What the f&$%#!! That can't be true. Why in the hell would they do that? That seems so .... well stupid. Thanks a lot. This will bug the hell outta me now when I finally get mine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is it the vanes or just the hole pattern?

I'm going to be fairly sure that the vanes are straight and only the holes are in the pattern that they are to spread out the openings across the several vanes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdogg said:
Is it the vanes or just the hole pattern?

I'm going to be fairly sure that the vanes are straight and only the holes are in the pattern that they are to spread out the openings across the several vanes.
I hope you're right.... but I went and looked at Z51 C6 the other day and it had exactly this "problem" -- and its vanes were spiral-type vanes.... And on one side of the car they were backwards.

Andi

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Hehehe - some of us pointed out this issue the day the first Z51 images showed up ;)

The C6 Z06 I saw in the flesh at the Housto Autohsow in January was similar to the Z51 - one can only hope that was just a pre-prod setup and that the customer cars are not going to be the laughing stock of the performance car world ;)

Gotta love GM - penny wise and pound foolish :p

·
Registered
891 Posts
I see a C6 Z51 car at local DE/Timetrials type events. I looked at his rotors again on Saturday. I could not see the vanes, but the spiral drill pattern is wrong on the RH rotor. I can't see any difference between the RH & LH rotor as far as wear, cracking, heat checks or discoloration. Maybe he isn't the most aggressive Corvette guy I have seen, but these are still the original OEM rotors that came on the car and he must have 500 to 1000 track miles on car by now. I did notice some small cracks starting at the rotors a few weeks ago and they don't seem to be progressing.

Go figure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
I see a C6 Z51 car at local DE/Timetrials type events. I looked at his rotors again on Saturday. I could not see the vanes, but the spiral drill pattern is wrong on the RH rotor. I can't see any difference between the RH & LH rotor as far as wear, cracking, heat checks or discoloration. Maybe he isn't the most aggressive Corvette guy I have seen, but these are still the original OEM rotors that came on the car and he must have 500 to 1000 track miles on car by now. I did notice some small cracks starting at the rotors a few weeks ago and they don't seem to be progressing.

Go figure.
If he's got 500-1000 track miles on the and you're not seeing significant wear, then he's your typical pussy corvette driver that does what I call parade laps at DE's.

When I bought my Z06, I took it to Texas World Speedway within a month of having it... ran 1:58's on stock tires. Made it home and all 4 brakes were toast. Spider cracks on the rotors, rear brakes seized, all 4 pads metal on metal, fluid boiled, etc..

Andi

PS no offense to the pussy corvette drivers. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Andi said:
If he's got 500-1000 track miles on the and you're not seeing significant wear, then he's your typical pussy corvette driver that does what I call parade laps at DE's.

When I bought my Z06, I took it to Texas World Speedway within a month of having it... ran 1:58's on stock tires. Made it home and all 4 brakes were toast. Spider cracks on the rotors, rear brakes seized, all 4 pads metal on metal, fluid boiled, etc..

Andi

PS no offense to the pussy corvette drivers. ;)
So are you saying that you are one of those drivers that doesn't know how to take care of your equipment. One of those that crew chiefs hate. One of those that doesn't know that 60-75% of winning a race is equipment.

You would be hard pressed to find a professional driver proud of the fact that he roasted his entire brake system. But not being a professional I'm sure that is not what you were implying (but obviously a talented driver i.e. time). If you are a professional driver .. then my apologies to you up front ... and sympathies to your crew chief.

You do make a good point about the rotors. I think that is just cheap. And indeed makes Corvette look the laughing stock of the performance world.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
teking said:
So are you saying that you are one of those drivers that doesn't know how to take care of your equipment. One of those that crew chiefs hate. One of those that doesn't know that 60-75% of winning a race is equipment.

You would be hard pressed to find a professional driver proud of the fact that he roasted his entire brake system. But not being a professional I'm sure that is not what you were implying. If you are a professional driver .. then my apologies to you up front ... and sympathies to your crew chief.

You do make a good point about the rotors. I think that is just cheap. And indeed makes Corvette look the laughing stock of the performance world.
I did a 6 hour SCCA Enduro in a 450rwhp Supra at TWS all by myself once and both the car and I survived just fine.......

When I got the Z, I had no idea the C5 Z brakes were so horrible. I didn't think one weekend (6 sessions) would toast the brakes. Never happened to me on my Supra, even on stock pads.

Stock C5 Z brakes totally blow. Words cannot describe how subpar they are for a sports car, especially one with that much power.

Andi

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
Andi: I thought we were talking about C6 Z51 brakes here.
From what I hear, C6 Z51 brakes are no better than C5 Z06 brakes. Bigger rotors, but the same POS sliding calipers that are ultra-prone to pad taper... and those drilled rotors tend to crack, especially w/ the backwards spinning on one side of the car. I heard on the "other" forum that lots of ppl with C6 Z51's are actually switching to $20 NAPA rotors for the C5 Z06 and getting the caliper brackets to move the calipers down to meet those rotors......... rather than paying the extra $$ to replace those useless, expensive drilled Z51 rotors.

Andi

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Andi said:
Stock C5 Z brakes totally blow. Words cannot describe how subpar they are for a sports car, especially one with that much power.

Andi
They'll still stop you in 105' from 60mph in street form - and at $30 per rotor replacment cost (cheaper than generic econobox brake pads) you really can't argue that they are the most cost effective 105' from 60mph brakes ever produced ;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Andi said:
I don't know Andi, sounds like you have a severe case of
cranio-rectal inversion to me.

The C5 Z06, and the C6 for that matter are STREET CARS,
and you don't compare the equipment the OEM puts on them
with the equipment you should have on an endurance racer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Jim Conforti said:
I don't know Andi, sounds like you have a severe case of
cranio-rectal inversion to me.

The C5 Z06, and the C6 for that matter are STREET CARS,
and you don't compare the equipment the OEM puts on them
with the equipment you should have on an endurance racer.
Jim,

You don't know me real well so I won't take offense at your comment.. because I've seen your posts in the past and always respected you.

That having been said, I'm gonna stick with what I said earlier. C5 Z06 brakes blow. C6 Z51 brakes blow. The calipers are just subpar, they flex and let the pads warp. I like a street sports car that I can take to open track days and have it stay in one piece. A Boxter S can take it. A 911 GT3 can take it. A stock Supra Turbo can take it. Shit, a Lancer Evolution can take it. Box stock. The Z06 that I had for 2 years and just sold needed major brake ducting, insanely aggressive street pads, a tranny cooler, an add-on oil cooler, and still went through a set of brakes every track weekend.

Oh.. I'm not just a bench racer or some nut that doesn't know what he's talking about..... that's me in the #4 overall spot here:
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2002/OneLap2002.htm

I may go back next year with a stock '06 z06....

Andi

·
Registered
765 Posts
One part number - fronts and rears.

19121787 YY87 HVY DUTY ANTILOCK BRAKES (J56) ROTOR,FRT BRK (05.809)
19121797 YY87 HVY DUTY ANTILOCK BRAKES (J56) ROTOR,RR BRK (05.809)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jdogg said:
One part number - fronts and rears.

19121787 YY87 HVY DUTY ANTILOCK BRAKES (J56) ROTOR,FRT BRK (05.809)
19121797 YY87 HVY DUTY ANTILOCK BRAKES (J56) ROTOR,RR BRK (05.809)
Thanks jdogg. We won't kill the messenger.

Damn, I hope those aren't spiral vented....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Andi said:
Thanks jdogg. We won't kill the messenger.

Damn, I hope those aren't spiral vented....
I've got a couple emails out to the design engineer(s) that I think were on the project.

Here's to hoping that they are straight slotted at this point and it is only the venting holes that appear to have the spirals.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Andi said:
Jim,

You don't know me real well so I won't take offense at your comment.. because I've seen your posts in the past and always respected you.
That's good Andi, because you shouldn't take offense.

You should rethink though.

I'm sure the brakes on a Ferrari Enzo are nice too.

From an engineers standpoint:

EVERYTHING has a price point, and for the price, and for the
PURPOSE FOR WHICH THEY ARE DESIGNED, the brakes on
any C5 or C6 Corvette are fine. Are they the best you can
get, of course not (agreed?), but for the price of the vehicle
and for the designated USE of the vehicle, they are fine.

I think a lot of owners get caught up in the advertising and
marketing speak surrounding a car and forget this simple fact.

US Cars are engineered for US Highways. In 2005, show me
one place on a US Highway where you can go faster than 75
(legally) and need to brake from high speeds repeatedly.

Such a place doesn't exist.

This is just like the people who are whining about "roll cages"
in the new C6 Z06. Repeat after me.. STREET CAR.

(Not to mention all the stupid Federal regs about head impacts
which render a roll cage on the street a big "no no")

It's like regardless of what "Dave Hill says", break your car on
a dragstrip and see if they fix it under warranty. Unless you are
mighty friendly with your dealer.. you pay for it.

Of course, you'll eat it w/ Porsche if you autocross and chew
up your PCCB brakes as well. Porsche owners were furious,
because they bought "racing brakes".. what they really bought
was marketing.

So don't take offense.. but do take a hard second thought.

I thought both of my C5 Z06's brakes were "decent", and this
from someone who engineers a few of the cars that won
their classes at OneLap. Oh, and being as I used to teach
advanced evo/pursuit.. I drive too ;) :cheers:

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts