Corvette Z06 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh..forgot one good thing to come from all this...

My wife thinks I should buy a new Z06 Corvette! :lol:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Fuel trims are + or - 1 to 2 % ...well under the 3% that might indicate a problem of being too lean...

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
JB,
Just throwing a low ball here. Do you have a way to view your fan set points? The reason I'm asking is that your temps are acting opposite of how they should! Set points should turn ON at a higher temp than turn OFF!! It may be a brain fart during programing? If you get them goofed up, you will never have them BOTH ON!!

:crazy:
Ken

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hey JB. Wish I had the answer for you. I can tell you that my car runs approx 20-35 degrees hotter with the AC on( normal temp is 175, and the other day in 100 degree weather ran at 213 and that was at 70 mph). If it is staying normal with the AC off, than I would say there has to be something going on with the AC system(possibly something clogging the system,such as the evaporator, accumulator or condenser). I'll see if I can come up with some answers for you.
Another thing you can do is bring it to a shop that has a scan tool and that will tell you at what temps the fans are coming on,taking all the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You could eat off the front the radiator and it still could be filled with three pounds of stuff. I know this from actual experience.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello JB.

As it looks like you have tried just about everything else, I suggest you go to a Napa auto parts store and purchase a Universal Block Test Kit. It is about $50.00 to $70.00 and will test for combustion gasses in your coolant. It is real easy to use and the results easy to see.

I also am having problems with overheating just like you. I have also replaced everything with no luck.

I performed the above test and found out I do have combustion gases in my coolant. No signs of leaking and oil looked normal, just dirty.

I hope this is not also your case, but is worth checking as I think you have just about ruled out all other issues.

Thanks, Perry

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Perry, Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to see about pulling the radiator...and looking into that combustion test you mentioned.

I'm really looking to see it be partly due to A/c being bad...

Good luck Perry. I'll let you know where I end up.

JB

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
K.I.S.S.

Have you had the simple stuff done first? Had the system flushed (and I don't mean just pulling the drain cock and draining)? Have you also checked to see if you have air in your lines?

I have to believe with a 4yr old car and 20K+ miles it coolant system flush can't hurt.

Air bubbles can cause all sorts of problems.

-N

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
coolant less than 2 years old and basics have been gone over but will go over it again. coolant changed monday.

Think its a/c but appreciate everyones input.

air bubbles were taken care of from beginning but thanks

Hope to have an answer by next week.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you SURE both fans are coming on? While the car is parked and running, you can individually hear each fan turn on as the engine reaches the 'on' temperature the fans are set to. Have the air conditioning OFF while you check the fans. I believe I read somewhere that both fans should come on anytime the air conditioner is turned on. If they don’t, it might explain why it overheats when the air is on.

With the engine just started and still cool, you can reach the front of the radiator from under the nose of the car and feel the heat spread evenly. If not even, it could be clogged up internally, although that doesn’t sound likely because it doesn’t overheat all the time.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Just an update:

Perry, we've had such hot humid weather lately it would be rare I'd drive the car without having the a/c on....yet since trying to track this down...

And replacing the leaky waterpump....and the belts etc...and seeing the radiator is clean...and changing the coolant again...

I decided to look further into the A/C being a related issue..

Low and behold today I drove around for quite some time in various conditions and 90 degree weather...

I was sweating my @ss off even with the windows open...and guess what...the car wouldn't pull over 210 degrees even under hard use....and it took a while to get there...

Then I turned the A/c on...and whoila! Within a few miles and the car started creeping up and by 235 degrees coolant I know I nailed a related occurance.

Perry...fwiw...I didn't start out with the a/c just so I could see how the car behaved with its stock thermostat..The temps were within production ranges...and I did this so I wouldn't have any heat soak issues...

Then I turn the a/c on and the engine begins its high temperature climb..

Perry....I'll keep you updated and I believe I will find the a/c is the issue...or the clutch of the A/c etc...

HTH and good luck to you as well.

JB

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles and if I am covering old ground here I apologize (I see we're page 4) but if the AC seams to be the culprit, did you notice if the second fan is coming on when the AC is turned on? If both fan are running maybe the compressor/clutch is dragging and slowing the H2O pump. Good Luck!

Mark

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Marc,

I really think what you are describing is what is causing the overheating issues with my car. I post this up here so others who down the road might run into similar quandry will be able to access the history of events.

here's :guiness: hoping this is actually the cause.

Much better then some other scenerios considered.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well! I finally got the car to run cooler.

While I had a leaky waterpump....and needed new belts ...swapped out the thermostat....

I want to report what was causing the two week overheating issue...

Thought it was the air conditioner but as the tech pulled the radiator...there was a plastic WAX like substance coating the space between the radiator fins...

Took quite a bit of soaking in 3M adhessive remover and then that softened up the wax like material between the fins...

Thanks for all the help guys and thought I'd post this up for those who might ever do a search on this subject.

·
Registered
197 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Well! I finally got the car to run cooler.

While I had a leaky waterpump....and needed new belts ...swapped out the thermostat....

I want to report what was causing the two week overheating issue...

Thought it was the air conditioner but as the tech pulled the radiator...there was a plastic WAX like substance coating the space between the radiator fins...

Took quite a bit of soaking in 3M adhessive remover and then that softened up the wax like material between the fins...

Thanks for all the help guys and thought I'd post this up for those who might ever do a search on this subject.
That's great you got your Z to run cooler. :thumb:
Where did this plastic wax substance that got on your radiator come from?

Doug

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
abowtieguy said:
That's great you got your Z to run cooler. :thumb:
Where did this plastic wax substance that got on your radiator come from?

Doug
Good question!

JB...we want to know!! :yeadog:

Glad you got your baby back! :thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thats a good question. No body can even guess what or where this wax substance came from. It surrounded all the fins and the space between the fins...It was a bitch to get out...as mentioned in my above post...

Anybodies guess at to what it was because even the techs in the field with over 20 years experience didn't know...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts