Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...but I didn't use zip ties - I just bent the stock metal straps with some pliers to shorten them so they fit over the filter without the stock cover. I also bought some weather stripping to seal the front of the hood...
I plan to get a K&N, mostly for looks, since I doubt there will be much of a difference in performance from the stock filter. Also, if any water does get in somehow over the seal, the K&N shouldn't be affected nearly as much as the stock filter.
Not only that, the stock filter just looks horrible if you're showing your engine, because it's white (I guess unless you have a white Z with a white rails.) It just looks like a home air cleaner filter :puke: ..I think the typical K&N color and look would look 100 times better.

As far as performance, I feel a slight improvement, and a slight SOTP difference. The thing I noticed most is that it revs up a bit faster because it's breathing better. I felt the slight pickup difference in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd; but I didn't really feel anything high end. Maybe I'll create a ram air system for it, which will probably increase high end performance at high speeds... or, maybe I'll just buy a VaraRam and save myself the time.

Well, for now, I'm happy.. a nice mod for $59 - ya can't go wrong! :thumb:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Unfortunately, it got my ball rolling when I said the car was perfect down to the paper filter.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
:cool:
I'm going the same route, except I bought a complete air box off a forum member here, and was thinking of just cutting the air box lid and leaving only the "bridge" supports for the stock metal straps. Figured that would leave minimal inflow restriction, and still ensure a good seal all around. :idea:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree..

Although I do have a Need4speed, I really don't see a need for much more speed than the stock Zee already has, unless of course you have money to burn. I've only had plans to do the one mod I know how to do myself - removing the restrictive stock filter cover, because I think it really should have come more open for better breathing, and I just wanna be considered close to stock as compared to an '02+ C5 Zee...plus it's free!
IMO, the '01 stock Zee is already close to being in the 'supercar' class. By no means is it near the top of that class, but I think it's close to being in it....and the new C6 Z06 (bone stock) is DEFINITELY in that class. :thumb:
I guess it's all relative, and there are a lot of diff reasons why someone would mod a car that's already very fast.. i.e. a LOT of people mod just as a hobby, working on all the mods themselves. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do any complex mods myself, so it's not much of a hobby for me. And unfortunately, I don't have that much money to burn either, so I most likely won't mod my Z past removing the filter cover. If I did have a lot of money to burn, I'd definitely be buying the C6 Z, but unfortunately I don't. :mad:
I do love to race as well, but don't do it that regularly since I'm not on the highway often, and there aren't that many places to race around here other than that... light to light is a VERY short distance where I live, since it's more urban -- any old WRX / EVO could stomp me in town from light to light because of the AWD and lack of distance, regardless of how much HP I have, so it's just not worth it for me (not to mention there are always a lot of cops in the area).

But hey, if you have the money and/or expertise to add a bunch of mods, then more power to ya... literally! :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea...

I think that's probably the best idea in this situation to ensure the best seal, and I even thought about doing that, but I'm not sure if I could cut through it with a regular carpenter's knife...and I don't have a dremel, or similar electric cutting tool.. :(

I guess I should just find someone that has a good cutting tool... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts