Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did my very first 3 runs tonight @ a track in El Paso, Tx.

I got beat by an LS1 w/ an aftermarket lid. I didn't remember about the traction control system and bogged pretty good on launch.

Next two races I raced a fella in a black 02' Z06 w/ exhaust, programmer, (he didn't tell me anything else).

First run we launched neck and neck but I missed second and blew it.

Second run, I didn't miss any shifts, but I did hit the rev limiter once.
He told me he trapped @ 116 mph and I was about 1.5 to 2 cars behind him. My passenger told me that he couldn't tell for sure, but he thought I was somewhere between 105-110 mph.

I wanted some opinions from some of you experienced racers on what you think I ran being as far as I was behind him and knowing his trap speed (if its even possible to make a guess w/ this info).

I actually think that was pretty good for me to be w/in two cars of him trapping @ 116 and that was my 3rd ever run.

The track wasn't doing E/T's tonight so I am just wondering about an approximate time. Some people told me that I probably ran about a 13.6/7, but I just don't believe that. How far back would I have been to be a second or a little more slower???

Its no big deal I guess, I am going back next week when they are giving time slips, I was just really curious about it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im not experienced by any means but would like to chime in...

If it was your first time out and you were neck to neck til you missed a gear, you did really good, the Z06 is the toughest to get off the whole without experience...

2 car lengths behind could be a whole second behind in the 1/4, I think your trap had to be 110mph if not more...

whats the tracks altitude?

luis

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Good job for your first time out :D

There a couple of things to think about here. Since you where running a passenger you can figure you lost .10 per hundred pounds of your passenger. Also since it was your first time racing how your reaction times where compared to the other drivers.

I can have a faster ET and still loose to slower car if I happen to be sleeping at the light :yeadog:

I agree go back next week when you can get a slip :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my first run w/ him, my reaction time was great. I started to launch just as the first green came on, but on the second run I didn't launch until the second green was already on.

As for the type of track, from what I hear, it is a "retired" airport that someone bought and flipped it. On sunday nights, they just do "street racing" so to speak, hence no slips....

I didn't mind much since it gave me a little bit of a chance to practice real launching.

Anyway, I will be back there this friday so I hope I do better....

thanks for the opinions guys.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
First of all, just b/c you're behind by a couple of cars at the end of the race doesn't necessarily mean your trap speed was lower than his. You could have the same (or higher) trap speed, but if you spun the tires or short-shifted a gear, etc, you could fall behind and lose the race...but when you both cross the line, you're going the same speed. Your trap isn't based on when he crosses the line, but when you cross the line.

Basic math will help you out here. :) For someone to say that 2 car lengths = "a whole second behind" is _completely_ erroneous in this case.

Back to the basic math. 116mph = 170'/sec. That's 170 feet per second. Even though the other Z beat you by 2 cars, I seriously doubt he was pulling away from you at the very end of the race. You probably were not gaining on him, but if he was pulling, it was very negligible by the time you guys hit 4th gear (~110mph or so).

I haven't measured my Z in awhile, but I believe it is ~16' long. 2 cars = 32'. If both cars are traveling at 170'/sec, the difference in ET could be estimated at ~.188 seconds. It's a blink of an eye at these speeds. If he was still pulling just slightly on you, then the difference might be .20-.22 seconds.

This is all assuming you both left the light at the exact same time. As Kat correctly pointed out, you could have a quicker ET and faster MPH and still lose the race if your opponent "trees" you.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Back in the stone age when I raced a tenth equaled a car length +/-.

Pat :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts