Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting started in earnest to prep car for T1 (and / or MWC ASR, TCC), and heard the following theory "do the diff cooler, the friction material in the it generates the heat, cooling the diff will help the trans too" - had some logic to it.

I want to do one cooler or the other (trans or diff), not both unless I have too.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Aaron,

I have only a transmission cooler. It is an absolute must for racing (and high speed events).

I never have used a diff cooler.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cobra,

I need to do a trans cooler too. What are you using to do it? Are you using the T-1 GM unit or smoehting you make up with the Tilton pump etc? Let me know maybe I can piggyback you purchases and do it at the same time. The Kirk cage is kinda funky. It looks like it has a bar running over the dash? Also, the door bars are for stock doorskin fascia. I think it would be best for safety and lightness to gut the door and run the bars in at least partly (with or without windows) NASCAR style if you are going to weld the cage per SCCA rules anyway. I am also waitning for the C6 Z06 to get established. I think it would be easy to addapt the C6 Z brakes to the C5 for a cheap upgrade VS. Brembo etc... That is not T-1 legal.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Like David, I only have a tranny cooler. My diff will get some cooling effect from the tranny, much like you mention, but in reverse. I know my diff gets very hot, so I change my fluid often, even when running AMSOIL's best gear lube. Knock on wood, my diff has three plus years, 16k totals miles and something like 9 DEs and 23 SCCA races on it now. Tranny still original stock as well. Knock on wood. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the same boat with just the tranny cooler. My best advice is do what you can afford. The diff does get extremely hot and I change fluid after about every 3 races. I'm sure that a diff cooler would help out on the power and certainly reliablility, but so far for me, it hasn't been necessary (like Brad, knock-knock). If you don't race, then I'd advize you just change the fluid often. If you do race and can afford it, then put the diff cooler on there - it will pay for itself because you won't need to change the fluid as often and you will prolong the diff's life. Drive hard!

Chris

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the responses but the question is:

If you could only choose one, which would you do, trans or diff?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) Trans and or diff, I am planning on DRM. Ordered engine oil cooler today from them.
2) Kirk cage can have bar in dash, not over. Also you can get NASCAR style door bars from them. I'm going with NASCAR style on frivers side, simple diagonal on pass side. I'll post this project (it's going to be a big, challenging one for me...)

fatbillybob said:
Cobra,

I need to do a trans cooler too. What are you using to do it? Are you using the T-1 GM unit or smoehting you make up with the Tilton pump etc? Let me know maybe I can piggyback you purchases and do it at the same time. The Kirk cage is kinda funky. It looks like it has a bar running over the dash? Also, the door bars are for stock doorskin fascia. I think it would be best for safety and lightness to gut the door and run the bars in at least partly (with or without windows) NASCAR style if you are going to weld the cage per SCCA rules anyway. I am also waitning for the C6 Z06 to get established. I think it would be easy to addapt the C6 Z brakes to the C5 for a cheap upgrade VS. Brembo etc... That is not T-1 legal.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If you could only choose one, which would you do, trans or diff?
Sorry, Aaron. Get the tranny cooler.

BTW, what side is the "frizer's side?" :rofl:

I just crack myself up sometimes... :screwy:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I agree with David. Get a tranny cooler and change your diff fluid often.

As a note, AMSOIL makes a new severe gear diff fluid designed to stand up to the conditions in modern diffs which see higher operating temps than have historically been associated with passenger cars. In fact, AMSOIL's best diff fluid is now for passenger cars as they feel that is the most severe operating condition.
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90

1 - 9 of 9 Posts