Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
01 rims are a little heavier because there made of Forged and not cast like the 02-04s. The 01s are also a bit darker in color. Either ones will do the job, But if you put them side by side there are alot of more diffrences that Many have not spoken of before, the reason I know this is because I have an 03 Z06, and I purchase 01 rims for racing and you can spot diffrences from miles away, my originals (03) are smoother around the edges of the spokes, actually the 01 look better because they look more like real solid rims and my 03 look like more painted then anything!

The 01s are a bit heavier but the diffrence is not even a pound in each rim, so it doesnt matter, If I was looking for Z06 rims I would actually want the 01s because they do look more exotic then the 02s and up, And would never mismatch because although they seem Identical they are NOT. Also some 02s have 01 rims, thats how I ended up with 01 rims because I bought from a guy who had an 02 but didnt know his car brought 01 rims :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Conventional wisdom here is that the 01 forged are stronger than the 02ff spuncast.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Do you have any pictures showing the difference between the '01 and '02-'04 wheels? I just bought an '02 Z and I'd be interested in finding out which wheels my car has... the car was manufactured in Dec. '01 if that helps any...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
2002 and up

2001 style rim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
01 ZO6 17x 9.5 19.6 lbs.
02 Z06 17x 9.5 19.2 lbs.
01 ZO6 18x10.5 21.4 lbs.
02 Z06 18x10.5 21.0 lbs.

The 01 wheels are slightly heavier as they are forged vs the 02 and later which are spuncast.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Do you have any pictures showing the difference between the '01 and '02-'04 wheels? I just bought an '02 Z and I'd be interested in finding out which wheels my car has... the car was manufactured in Dec. '01 if that helps any...

Having your part numbers would be the easiest, but if you just jack up your car and feel if you have indents on the incriptions or not would problably doable as well :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Having your part numbers would be the easiest, but if you just jack up your car and feel if you have indents on the inscriptions or not would probably doable as well :cheers:
No need to jack the car up. :lol: Just feel with your finger for the indentations on backside of every other spoke. If there is no indentation you have the forged 2001 style rim. If you have indentations on every other spoke the you have the spun cast 2002 and up style rim. I thought a picture was worth a thousand word. See post #5 of this thread. :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
IT L GO said:
No need to jack the car up. :lol: Just feel with your finger for the indentations on backside of every other spoke. If there is no indentation you have the forged 2001 style rim. If you have indentations on every other spoke the you have the spun cast 2002 and up style rim. I thought a picture was worth a thousand word. See post #5 of this thread. :D

:eek:: :eek:: :-? :-? I wasnt thinking or maybe I was thinking too much :crazy: man you got me :blush:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
IT L GO said:
Good info.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics guys! I'll have to check this out... I was curious as I read somewhere that some early '02 cars had the '01 style wheels, and my car was made in Dec. '01.

Thanks again! :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes,

From a post here or on the other Corvette Website: Some early 2002 Z06's had 2001 wheels. Per GM Administrative Message CHG20010230. VIN #'s with the last 6 digits between 109523 and 110269 were built with 2001 Z06 wheels.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Last year someone posted pics of a newer Z (not 2001) with front end collision damage. The wheels were the centrifugal spin cast 2002 and later. ALL 10 spokes had broken off the outer wheel rim. You think that would have happened with the "01 forged rims?? I have an 01 Z and happy to have the forged rims.

GOLD72 :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Thanks for the info and pics guys! I'll have to check this out... I was curious as I read somewhere that some early '02 cars had the '01 style wheels, and my car was made in Dec. '01.

Thanks again! :thumb:
Hi Blue Angel -

I have a 2002 Z06, built in October 2001 - I took delivery Dec 1 2001.

My car was equipped with the 2001 forged wheels from the factory.

I have heard that this was due to sourcing problems following the September 11 attacks. The Speedline spun-cast rims are made in Italy.

One reason someone would want forged rims over the spun-cast later rims - I have heard that the forged rims take a polish better than the spun-cast rims. I do not have any facts to back that up, just what I have heard.

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
mqqn said:
Hi Blue Angel -

One reason someone would want forged rims over the spun-cast later rims - I have heard that the forged rims take a polish better than the spun-cast rims. I do not have any facts to back that up, just what I have heard.

best regards -

mqqn
That's what everyone said when the new spun cast rims came out. There is no evidence of that however that I have been able to find. The rims on the 2004 CE seems to polish up OK. :z:

·
Registered
959 Posts
My VIN ends with 116730, so it looks like it may have missed the window by about 6500 cars... So close, yet so far...

I haven't been by to check the car out yet - it's still in storage awaiting cleaner roads and warmer temperatures. :cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I guess my early 02 Z had the old 01 wheels-the last 6 #'s I have are 109487 which is actually before GM's start date.Actually I have the 02 Z wheels because my vin # was before they ran out of the 02 wheels after reading another post on them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It may not show as well online as it does in person but here is a photo that shows the color difference side by side. You can also see the wider spokes on the 03' wheel. An 01' wheel on the left and 03' on the right....

....whats interesting is that the 01' is painted the same color front and back.....

.....and the 03' is painted gray on the back or inside. Anyone else find this to be true on their wheels?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts