Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sanity check please....

2002 Z06 with 9.5k miles. Car has never been tracked or raced. Notice pinkish fluid under rearend. Take to dealer for evaluation. Their conclusion - differential is leaking and needs to be removed, resealed, etc. I asked if they have seen many ZO6's with same issue - answer is one. Has anyone had similar experience or knowledge of this problem at such low mileage? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Do a search. There are lots of em. :blush:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just had mine fixed. There is a service bulletin out there for it.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
dilly03 said:
03-04-20-006 NOV 03 Drivetrain - Rear Differential Fluid Leak

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yours lasted that long!!! :)

Mine was leaking with just under 2K miles or so of light duty street driving. It's a common problem.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
my 04 is going in Monday to have fixed. The 01 also did it.
Your not special LOL :)
Brian

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Bob Clinton said:
Mine leaves a spot after spirited driving and has now for months :bmad:
I noticed a little leakage spot on the garage floor twice now, and both were after times of high speed driving.

I discovered it was on the driver's side of the rear end, and further investigation showed the leakage was coming from the vent on the top/left side of the differential.

If there is no sign of leakage from the axle seals, then it's most likely coming from the vent on top.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Had both diff seals replaced at 2k on my 02 ! Very common problem ! First was the left side ! Then they replaced both ! You're not that special :)

Rob

·
Registered
266 Posts
Diff Leak

dilly03 said:
My 2001 was fixed once with the original seals, once with the service bulletin fix, and now is in for a complete housing replacement. Our club has 3 leakers in about 23 cars.

Good luck with yours,

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine leaked after less than 300 miles. fixed that and now it is leaking from the housing on drivers side. i'm hoping its a vent deal.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I noticed a couple drops hanging from the bottom of my differential at the seal while I was under there doing the engine oil. When people have the leak, is it leaving big spots on the floor, or is it like me with a few drops? I havent seen any drops on garage floor, but there was enough to coat my fingers by rubbing the seal.

Do you think I should bring it in for the bulletin: " 03-04-20-006 NOV 03 Drivetrain - Rear Differential Fluid Leak"??? Or is a few drops there normal with hard driving? If it is coming from the vent, is it obvious to figure out? Where is the vent (pics?)?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins Drivetrain - Rear Differential Fluid Leak

Bulletin No.: 03-04-20-006 Date: November 18, 2003 TECHNICAL
Subject:Fluid Leak at Rear Axle (Replace Left Differential Side Cover 0-Ring and Left Axle Shaft Seal, Add Sealant to Side Cover Flange)

Models:1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition: Some customers may comment on fluid leaking from the rear axle.

Correction: Verify that the fluid leak is rear axle fluid, not transmission fluid. Replace the left differential side cover 0-ring and left axle shaft seal. Engineering has recommended that sealant be applied to the side cover prior to installation. Use the appropriate service procedure and part numbers listed below.

Service Procedure (Corvette)
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the left rear tire and wheel assembly.
3. Install J 33432-A Transverse Spring Compressor to the rear transverse spring and compress the spring.
4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the left wheel speed sensor.
5. Disconnect the electronic suspension control (ESC) position sensor link, if equipped.
6. Disconnect the shock absorber solenoid electrical connector, if equipped.
7. Remove the outer tie rod end nut
8. Disconnect the outer tie rod end stud from the rear suspension knuckle.
9. Disconnect the park brake cable from the park brake apply lever and bracket.
10. Remove the bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame.
11. Remove the spindle nut retaining the rear wheel axle shaft to the hub.
12. Rotate the suspension knuckle until the axle shaft clears the hub,
13. Release and remove the rear wheel axle shaft from the differential.
14. Remove the left muffler.
15. Drain the rear differential fluid.
16. Remove the retaining bolts and the damper/tuned absorber from the differential.
17. Loosen the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud.
18. Install a second nut onto the stud.
19. Remove the stud from the differential cover.
20. Clean any dirt or debris from around the differential cover.
21. Remove the bolts retaining the differential cover.
22. Remove the differential cover from the differential.
23. Remove and discard the 0-ring seal and the axle seal from the differential cover.
24. Clean the 0-ring sealing surface on the differential cover and the differential housing.
25. Install new 0-ring, P/N 89047953, to the differential cover.
26. Apply a continuous 3 mm (0.125 in) bead of sealant, P/N 1052942 (Canadian P/N 10953466), or equivalent, to the cover flange.
27. Apply sealant around the bolt holes. Keep sealant away from the 0-ring.
28. Install the differential cover to the differential.
29. Install the differential cover retaining bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 28 N.m (20 Ib ft).
30. Clean the excess sealant from the left cover/housing splitline.
31. Using two nuts installed on the stud, install the transmission mounting stud to the differential cover. Tighten Tighten the stud to 42 N.m (31 Ib ft).
32. Remove the second nut from the transmission mounting stud.
33. Tighten the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud. Tighten Tighten the nut to 50 N.m (37 Ib ft).
34. Install the damper/tuned absorber and bolts to the differential. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 25 N.m (18 Ib ft).
35. Install the new axle seal, PN 88996703, into the differential cover using J 46405.
36. Install the left muffler.
3 7. Install the rear wheel axle shaft to the differential.
38. Install the spindle nut retaining the rear wheel axle shaft to the hub. Tighten Tighten the spindle nuts to 160 N.m (118 Ib ft).
39. Install the bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame. Tighten Tighten the upper control arm bolts to 110 N.m (81 Ib ft).
40. Connect the park brake cable to the park brake apply lever and bracket.
41. Connect the outer tie rod end stud to the rear suspension knuckle.
42. Install the outer tie rod end nut. Tighten
- Tighten the outer tie rod end nut to 20 N.m (15 Ib ft) to seat the outer tie rod stud.
- Turn the nut additional 160 degrees.
- Check the outer tie rod end nut for a minimum torque of 45 N.m (33 Ib ft).
43. Connect the shock absorber solenoid electrical connector, if equipped.
44. Connect the electronic suspension control (ESC) position sensor link, if equipped.
45. Connect the electrical connector to the left wheel speed sensor.
46. Remove J 33432-A Transverse Spring Compressor from the rear transverse spring.
47. Install the left rear tire and wheel assembly.
48. Refill the rear differential fluid.
49. Lower the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Speedratchet said:
Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins Drivetrain - Rear Differential Fluid Leak

Bulletin No.: 03-04-20-006 Date: November 18, 2003 TECHNICAL
Subject:Fluid Leak at Rear Axle (Replace Left Differential Side Cover 0-Ring and Left Axle Shaft Seal, Add Sealant to Side Cover Flange)

Models:1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition: Some customers may comment on fluid leaking from the rear axle.

Correction: Verify that the fluid leak is rear axle fluid, not transmission fluid. Replace the left differential side cover 0-ring and left axle shaft seal. Engineering has recommended that sealant be applied to the side cover prior to installation. Use the appropriate service procedure and part numbers listed below.

Service Procedure (Corvette)
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the left rear tire and wheel assembly.
3. Install J 33432-A Transverse Spring Compressor to the rear transverse spring and compress the spring.
4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the left wheel speed sensor.
5. Disconnect the electronic suspension control (ESC) position sensor link, if equipped.
6. Disconnect the shock absorber solenoid electrical connector, if equipped.
7. Remove the outer tie rod end nut
8. Disconnect the outer tie rod end stud from the rear suspension knuckle.
9. Disconnect the park brake cable from the park brake apply lever and bracket.
10. Remove the bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame.
11. Remove the spindle nut retaining the rear wheel axle shaft to the hub.
12. Rotate the suspension knuckle until the axle shaft clears the hub,
13. Release and remove the rear wheel axle shaft from the differential.
14. Remove the left muffler.
15. Drain the rear differential fluid.
16. Remove the retaining bolts and the damper/tuned absorber from the differential.
17. Loosen the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud.
18. Install a second nut onto the stud.
19. Remove the stud from the differential cover.
20. Clean any dirt or debris from around the differential cover.
21. Remove the bolts retaining the differential cover.
22. Remove the differential cover from the differential.
23. Remove and discard the 0-ring seal and the axle seal from the differential cover.
24. Clean the 0-ring sealing surface on the differential cover and the differential housing.
25. Install new 0-ring, P/N 89047953, to the differential cover.
26. Apply a continuous 3 mm (0.125 in) bead of sealant, P/N 1052942 (Canadian P/N 10953466), or equivalent, to the cover flange.
27. Apply sealant around the bolt holes. Keep sealant away from the 0-ring.
28. Install the differential cover to the differential.
29. Install the differential cover retaining bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 28 N.m (20 Ib ft).
30. Clean the excess sealant from the left cover/housing splitline.
31. Using two nuts installed on the stud, install the transmission mounting stud to the differential cover. Tighten Tighten the stud to 42 N.m (31 Ib ft).
32. Remove the second nut from the transmission mounting stud.
33. Tighten the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud. Tighten Tighten the nut to 50 N.m (37 Ib ft).
34. Install the damper/tuned absorber and bolts to the differential. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 25 N.m (18 Ib ft).
35. Install the new axle seal, PN 88996703, into the differential cover using J 46405.
36. Install the left muffler.
3 7. Install the rear wheel axle shaft to the differential.
38. Install the spindle nut retaining the rear wheel axle shaft to the hub. Tighten Tighten the spindle nuts to 160 N.m (118 Ib ft).
39. Install the bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame. Tighten Tighten the upper control arm bolts to 110 N.m (81 Ib ft).
40. Connect the park brake cable to the park brake apply lever and bracket.
41. Connect the outer tie rod end stud to the rear suspension knuckle.
42. Install the outer tie rod end nut. Tighten
- Tighten the outer tie rod end nut to 20 N.m (15 Ib ft) to seat the outer tie rod stud.
- Turn the nut additional 160 degrees.
- Check the outer tie rod end nut for a minimum torque of 45 N.m (33 Ib ft).
43. Connect the shock absorber solenoid electrical connector, if equipped.
44. Connect the electronic suspension control (ESC) position sensor link, if equipped.
45. Connect the electrical connector to the left wheel speed sensor.
46. Remove J 33432-A Transverse Spring Compressor from the rear transverse spring.
47. Install the left rear tire and wheel assembly.
48. Refill the rear differential fluid.
49. Lower the vehicle.
Sounds simple, until "Mr. Goodwrench" has at it :mah:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts