Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Mine was weeping a bit until I changed to Royal Purple and then the leakage was enough to drip on the floor when parked. The aluminum tag with the "Limited Slip Lube Only" on the fill plug has always been damp with oil. Now it seemed worse. :cry:

I bought a new Washer P/N 12369215 $2.93 list ($1.07 sale price) and left the tag off. I wiped everything down, did 4 hours of track time and everything is dry. I don't think my seal leaks after all. The air currents carry oil residue all around and leak source may have been the washer/tag combination all along. :yeadog:

My 2001 Update

Got it back from dealer after replacing case. Cost involved aprox. $1,800.

Drove it about 2 miles to the house and parked it. Next morning the old puddle was back.

I will return to dealer this Monday. Will keep you updated.

Thanks to all the people on this forum for the valuable info they post. It's helped me a bunch. :thumb:

I have heard that if the dealer fixes it under warranty that it is done the same as the factory procedure. It will leak again in the near future, but there is a permanent solution. My wife's 50th AE convertible is leaking after 9K miles and 23 months. So far the Z06 is not leaking. Xfingers

Interesting thread.....why is it that the dealership seems to "forget" when a technical service bulletin comes out, but is quick to call you when your 50,000 mile service is due? Damn scheisters.....I am going to call the dealership where I take my car to and inquire about this one. And any others that haven't been done! This is BS. And they wonder why we are disgruntled with customer service. Where is that Service with a Smile? Hmmmm....That smile is them shafting you..... :eek2:

GR8 WHITE said:
Interesting thread.....why is it that the dealership seems to "forget" when a technical service bulletin comes out, but is quick to call you when your 50,000 mile service is due? Damn scheisters.....I am going to call the dealership where I take my car to and inquire about this one. And any others that haven't been done! This is BS. And they wonder why we are disgruntled with customer service. Where is that Service with a Smile? Hmmmm....That smile is them shafting you..... :eek2:
Main problem with the dealerships Glenn is they have X amount of warranty dollars to spend with GM a month before the big boys start asking questions. They also get about half of the labor $$s from GM then they charge the non warranty customer. They would rather spend these $$s on a much easier to work on vehicle such as a SUV or pickem up truck.
Also the techs get paid by the book hours on a job, so a lot of the time they will take shortcuts. Finish a 10 hour book job in 7 and they pocket an extra 3 hours.

FRC Tom said:
Main problem with the dealerships Glenn is they have X amount of warranty dollars to spend with GM a month before the big boys start asking questions. They also get about half of the labor $$s from GM then they charge the non warranty customer. They would rather spend these $$s on a much easier to work on vehicle such as a SUV or pickem up truck.
Also the techs get paid by the book hours on a job, so a lot of the time they will take shortcuts. Finish a 10 hour book job in 7 and they pocket an extra 3 hours.
It figures Tom....Crooks. And I am sur ethis is the spot that is leaking on mine....All this time, it was a recall. They were quick to tell me about the steering column lock though....Maybe a higher risk factor? Didn't want any law suits hiding that one. Hey Tom, you going to be at Gregs tomorrow? Wednesday...I will be there dropping off my car. Probably loiter around a bit a nd BS (watch) Greg work his magic. Then take off until Friday or so. Hows the weather there now? Finally, sunshine here......

GR8 WHITE said:
It figures Tom....Crooks. And I am sur ethis is the spot that is leaking on mine....All this time, it was a recall. They were quick to tell me about the steering column lock though....Maybe a higher risk factor? Didn't want any law suits hiding that one. Hey Tom, you going to be at Gregs tomorrow? Wednesday...I will be there dropping off my car. Probably loiter around a bit a nd BS (watch) Greg work his magic. Then take off until Friday or so. Hows the weather there now? Finally, sunshine here......
Yea I'll be there not sure what time. I have a car coming up from Miami for a scan and dyno tune.
Sun is shining bright, just waiting on the dealer here to get my o2 sensors in so I can drive my car. Hopefuly this will take care of my backfiring.

Hey Tom....I took a Tour de Tampa loking for my O2 sensors last week. Went all over but found two of them. Watch out for resales. One tried to sell me one used. Had carbon buildup on the tips saying it was new...I found a small slit in plastic bag where it was slipped in and out. Rat Bastards. But I got my new 02s and extensions. Ordered 2 of the extensions from T Byrne for $40.00 for the two with shipping. I hope that does the trick for me too. My car is running like crap. Feels like hitting rev limiter again. May be plug wires too. Cheap crap. Hope to see you at Greg's tomorrow. I will feel somewhat displaced without my ride for three days...... :(

My 2001 Update ll

After returning to Mr. Goodwrench again, they found that the "New" housing shipped from GM was bad as well.

I told them we were going to "Corvette Weekend" in Bend, OR on Friday and needed the car. The dealer, (Performance Chev. Sacramento), had another case overnighted from GM, had it the next day and replaced it the following day. I just had time to clean up car load up and leave.

The car made the trip in good shape. No leaks and no bad sounds from the rear. Currently I'm a happy camper.

Thanks all for your interest.

Corvette Weekend, put on by SOCA, is a great event if you ever get a chance to go. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.