Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally disabled that dreadful system. What a difference!! It's like driving a new car. Can't count how many times I fought with that darn thing - when I pull down to second, I want second :bmad: ! It took me this long to do because as you all know, getting under a Z is not easy...so I bought a pair of Rhino Ramps. Hooray for them! For you guys struggling with ways to lift your Z, this is the way to go (as long as you don't need to remove wheels).

·
Registered
142 Posts
hey i just bought the CAGS defeater, but didnt know that you had to get under the car to install it. i dont have any means to do so. guess i should have done some research about it before i bought it. what do i do now?!?!?!? :bang: thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ninepoint5, I went the cheap route (the Radio Shack method) Follow this link http://www.ls1.com/link_cags.html. And like I said, those Rhino's make it so easy - just backed up on to them and had plenty of working room. The solenoid is on the drivers side near the top of the Tremec.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I know some folks had the Dealer install the CAGS, before they drove the car off the lot. :coo: Great first mod.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely a "must" mod for these cars. I find it interesting that a dealer would install that.....isn't that considered "modification" by them ;)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I had the dealer install mine before I drove it home and since have eliminated it with the edit. It was enough putting up with it on the test drive before accepting the car! :mah:

Bob :thumb:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good to hear. I just bought some rhino ramps and the CAGS is in the mail on the way to my house too! Good to know it will work out easily for me because I wasn't sure the ramps would be low profile enough. :jammin:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
IT L GO said:
I know some folks had the Dealer install the CAGS, before they drove the car off the lot. :coo: Great first mod.
First thing i did when i drove it on the lift as it came off the truck to do an inspection. Had the cags plug in my pocket and defeated it in less than a minute.

Jack

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I like driving the car also w/o the CAGS. My old Camaro SS had it and it just makes a whole lot of difference

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B R said:
:-? Whatchyoutalkinbout?
Did that need interpreting?? Ok, the solenoid which needs to be disconnected is the CAGS solenoid which is located on the transmission which is made by Tremec and can be found near the top drivers side of the tranny. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
ninepoint5 said:
hey i just bought the CAGS defeater, but didnt know that you had to get under the car to install it. i dont have any means to do so. guess i should have done some research about it before i bought it. what do i do now?!?!?!? :bang: thanks
I just backed mine up sideways from the bottom of my driveway and put one rear wheel on the street and one on the curb/grass next to my driveway. It gave me just enough room to do the CAGS thing. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
IT L GO said:
yes, my dealer installed mine, but they won't do a TechII brake flush with DOT4....go figure... :bang:

·
Registered
77 Posts
fresh_Z06 said:
Did that need interpreting?? Ok, the solenoid which needs to be disconnected is the CAGS solenoid which is located on the transmission which is made by Tremec and can be found near the top drivers side of the tranny. :cheers: :cheers:
Oh, I was confused, I thought that the Trans was made by Getrag. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i think i can count on 1 hand the number of times i've been locked out of 2nd because of CAGS... never been a problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine stopped working, I took it apart and there was no resistor in it. Just 2 wires running into a plug of silicone rubber.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
fresh_Z06 said:
Can't count how many times I fought with that darn thing - when I pull down to second, I want second!
Then you don't know how to drive the Z06. In my opinion you spent money you didn't need to. CAGS has NEVER bothered me as it doesn't engage very often, because I know how to drive the car. What's the big deal with keeping the rpms up?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Resist said:
Then you don't know how to drive the Z06. In my opinion you spent money you didn't need to. CAGS has NEVER bothered me as it doesn't engage very often, because I know how to drive the car. What's the big deal with keeping the rpms up?
Don't be silly.

My cags defeat cost me.... lessee... $0.00... because I already had a suitable power resistor sitting around in my workshop. If not, it costs like 20 cents. For 20 cents, why the hell not get rid of the annoyance?

And "keeping rpms up" if you don't need to or cannot accelerate just wastes gas and creates more wear and tear on your engine. Many times I don't need to shift over 2000 RPM because doing so with anything other than a bare touch of the throttle would plant me smack in the middle of that bloated SUV monstrocity in front of me in traffic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts