Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil and filter. When finished with running the engine and checking for leaks I shut down and checked my oil level after several minutes.

The first reading was about 1/4 the way up the cross hatch on the dip stick. I then changed the dipstick 180 degrees with the wording Engine Oil facing the fender. Oil level was a little over the full mark then which is accurate.

I put 6 3/4 quarts in the sump and 1/4 quart in the filter. Yes I run 7 quarts. New engine. Mrf. says to run 6.5 qrts.

This isn't the first car I've had that dipstick readings would differ because of the position of the dipstick. Maybe this has been the problem for some. Mine does read different when the dipstick is turned 180 degrees. Hope this may help some out with their problems.:cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I always check both sides of the dipstick and I haven't seen different oil levels. By oil level I mean the point up to which the dipstick is completely covered with oil. Areas above this point are frequently only partially covered with oil and I think that's because the dipstick rubs against the inner walls of the dipstick tube as you pull it out. These partial layers of oil usually vary from one side of the dipstick to the other but they're meaningless. Is that what you're refering to? In my opinion all that's important is to make sure the bottom hole on the dipstick is filled with oil and the top one is not.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought I'd let people know what my car is doing when the dip stick is installed. Hope it helps others. Glad to hear yours is reading right. Can't miss w/7 qrts right.

My 90 ZR1 (bought new) would read low when the dipstick was installed 180 degrees off also. Sold it in 1991 after the war, wasn't impressed like I am with this block. :cool:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It seems there has been a lot of oil related topics posted as far as proper quantity is concerned so I thought I would shed some light....
First, GM's recommendation of 6.5 quarts is accurate. What everyone fails to realize is that the dip stick is not some space age, technologicaly advanced device for measuring oil quantity, nor does it need to be. Here's what to do....
1. Count how many quarts you put in
2. Idle the eng. for 2 or 3 minutes
3. Shut it off, wait about 5 minutes for it to settle
4. Then read your dip stick
5. Take a sharp scribe or nail and mark it where 6.5 quarts is (or how ever many qts you added).

Now you'll know exactly what your dip stick should read based on what you added. It doesn't get any mor accurate than this. Screw GM's marks on the stick. In fact when changing your oil, simply add 7.5 quarts. GM recommends that when racing, it is best to over-service the engine by 1 qt to compensate for lateral G-force acceleration (lateral acceleration has a tendency to trap oil against the sides of the valve and oil pans) (its in the video) This practice gives you enough oil should you decide to get wild.:D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
When I picked up my car (3 miles on ODO), the first thing I did was pull the dipstick and note that it was exactly on the FULL line. THAT is where I keep it. When I changed the oil, after a thorough draining, it took 7 quarts to get it back to the original level.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
When I picked up my car (3 miles on ODO), the first thing I did was pull the dipstick and note that it was exactly on the FULL line. THAT is where I keep it. When I changed the oil, after a thorough draining, it took 7 quarts to get it back to the original level.
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: I could not agree more!! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Then it is agreed, 7 quarts at every oil and filter change. Now we won't have to wonder what we did with that 1/2 quart we saved from the last oil change!!:lol: :p Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're all forgetting about that kid in the dealer prep area who "topped off" all the fluids and added that extra half quart of oil because it was only reading halfway between ADD and MAX with the proper 6.5 qts in the engine.

And, George, I tried to make my dipstick "face" the fender with the words "Engine Oil," but no matter how hard I tried to have it turn 180 degrees in the sitting position, the dipstick would go back to facing the hood (or the firewall).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts