Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but do the Supercar tires have a directional arrow on them somewhere? It seems it would be possible to swap the wheels side to side and not know it without some sort of marking on the tires. Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They are not directional, but they have an inside and an outside. Which is marked on the tires.

01 Z06 -MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I believe the Goodyear Spercar tires used on the Z06 also have "camber markers" that the driver can refer to if he/she chooses. The triangles will show wear if the tires are rolling over.

One solution to the signs of wear at the indicators is to dial in more negative camber. I'd consult with the dealer or Goodyear for further info.

1fastdog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some question here. According to the Goodyear web site the Supercar tires have directional tread, which tells me they need to stay at their original mounting position.
I've got a query in to Goodyear to verify this.

The thought struck me that some well-meaning person could swap the wheels from one side to the other by mistake and really cause some grief.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

On 2001-05-17 20:53, jwight spewed forth this drivel:
Some question here. According to the Goodyear web site the Supercar tires have directional tread, which tells me they need to stay at their original mounting position.
I've got a query in to Goodyear to verify this.

The thought struck me that some well-meaning person could swap the wheels from one side to the other by mistake and really cause some grief.

The Supercar tires for the Z06 are not directional as in left/right only. The rest of the Supercar tire line may well be. Again, I don't believe they are for the Z. There is a "this side out".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, here's the official Goodyear reply:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Consumer Relations 739
1144 East Market Street
Akron, OH 44316
Voice #: (800) 321-2136
Fax #: (330) 796-3753

Thank you for contacting our web site. The F1 Supercar tire is indeed a unidirectional tire, designed to not only rotate in a specific direction but to be mounted with a specific side facing out and the direction of
rotation is on the sidewall.

I'm still looking for the directional markings on the sidewall, but the answer tells me you can't swap between left and right sides.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The tire is unidirectional by virtue of its asymetric tread design. The tire is marked to show which side goes to the inside of the rim.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the final answer from Goodyear. It's OK to swap the tires left to right (or vice versa):

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Consumer Relations 739
1144 East Market Street
Akron, OH 44316
Voice #: (800) 321-2136
Fax #: (330) 796-3753

I have spoken with a technical advisor and with the representative that replied to your first email. The representative did not realize that the tires were on the new 2001 Corvette Z06. We apologize for this
oversight.

The 2001 Corvette Z06 tires are designed differently than the other Eagle F1 Supercar tires that do have a right and left side designation. If The tire on your vehicle had a right and left side designation there would
be 2 different product codes listed, one for the right side and one for the left side. This is not the case with your tires. It is okay to do a side to side rotation as long as the side that states it needs to be on the
outside is on the outside.

If you take the vehicle to an authorized Goodyear dealer and the dealer does not agree please have them call us to discuss.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

On 2001-05-23 13:30, jwight spewed forth this drivel:
Here's the final answer from Goodyear. It's OK to swap the tires left to right (or vice versa):

Sounds right to me. As I said in a previous post, the Z06 is a Supercar tire with it's own characteristics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts